Author Topic: Recommend a fin for big-board, single-fin noseriding?  (Read 1857 times)

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Recommend a fin for big-board, single-fin noseriding?
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
Took my first board out the other day for a longish paddle, and along the way picked up some ankle/knee-high crumblers along the beach. Was reminded again how much fun that board -- an older 11-2 Starboard Blend with a single-fin box -- can be on micro waves (which we get a lot here).

But was also reminded how it used to slide out every time I got on the nose; also fun but hard to control. The fin that came with the board was tiny, a joke, so I stuck a 10-inch Wingnut fin from my regular longboard in there. That was better, but still not enough fin for that big a board when up on the nose. Maybe not a wide-enough base?

What's a good alternative that would allow me to get up there and be stable and confident? I'm thinking it might not even need to be that fancy a fin. Maybe even a big one from a giant NSP or something like that.

Any recommendations?

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a fin for big-board, single-fin noseriding?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:06 AM »
True Ames California Classic.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
Re: Recommend a fin for big-board, single-fin noseriding?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
Took my first board out the other day for a longish paddle, and along the way picked up some ankle/knee-high crumblers along the beach. Was reminded again how much fun that board -- an older 11-2 Starboard Blend with a single-fin box -- can be on micro waves (which we get a lot here).

But was also reminded how it used to slide out every time I got on the nose; also fun but hard to control. The fin that came with the board was tiny, a joke, so I stuck a 10-inch Wingnut fin from my regular longboard in there. That was better, but still not enough fin for that big a board when up on the nose. Maybe not a wide-enough base?

What's a good alternative that would allow me to get up there and be stable and confident? I'm thinking it might not even need to be that fancy a fin. Maybe even a big one from a giant NSP or something like that.

Any recommendations?

My Thresher fin would work nicely on that board. Noseride easily, Track easily and turn easy.
Allison Race Fins

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Recommend a fin for big-board, single-fin noseriding?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »
Call Joe Blair in Solana Beach, CA- he's got a big single fin for his boards...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal