Author Topic: Which beaches off limits to SUP surfing?  (Read 4633 times)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Which beaches off limits to SUP surfing?
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Curious which beaches are off limits to or have limited access for SUP surfing worldwide?  What's the current situation at San O? thanks in advance.
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Which beaches off limits to SUP surfing?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »
Curious which beaches are off limits to or have limited access for SUP surfing worldwide?  What's the current situation at San O? thanks in advance.
SAno is off limits-except on mid weekdays when i poach it a lot-but its still off limits then too-i just do it anyway-got into a shouting match there just last week with an ex-pres of the Sano longboard club-what a dick.
Church is ok-have heard of guys getting bullhorned by the lifeys on occasion-fun right-you will get some stink eye-Trails to the south of Sano is wide open-go wherever you want there-Trails 1-6.
6 is a favorite of the longboarders-some stinkeye there from time to time.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
   It all depends on who you ask.  ;)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:09 PM »
At most of the San Diego and Orange County city beaches, were ever they allow surfing you can SUP. The issue is with the California State Park beaches. San Onofre which encompasses Trestles down to Trail 6 is all regulated by the State Parks. The State Parks have designated areas (as SoCal mentioned) for anyone who has a paddle in their hands, regardless of the type of water craft. Canoe, Kayak, or SUP. Between Trestles and Old Man's (San-O) is a section of Camp Pendleton Marine Corp beach resort. The military does not regulate SUPs, so the Church break which is out from the Military resort, is open to SUPs. Always respect the lineup, no mater where you surf. You respect it, it will respect you. Well, almost always....... I'm sure Pono has some sort of percentage relative to this.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
I'm curious about the regulations TD references. Does anyone know what the state parks are basing their regulations on? e.g. if the Coast Guard doesn't consider a SUP in a surf zone a "vessel," why does the state lump SUPs in the same category as, say, canoes or kayaks? Is this just some arbitrary distinction that some bureaucrat made up? Could some enterprising legal type mount a challenge to this regulation?

For that matter, what gives cities like the right to "blackball" all surfing, an activity that takes place offshore? I understand the public interest in keeping bathers from getting clobbered by boards, but I never understood why cities didn't make more of an effort to keep the better surfing spots open, while blackballing those areas bathers were mostly likely to use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
JT,
As I know it, a few old members of the San Onofre Surfing Club ( A long board maker ___wert and a T-shirt maker _ld _uys _ule ) got pissed at a "butt boarder" (wave ski paddler) and maybe rightly so, for continually hopping waves at Old mans. The surf club had enough political clout to get a ban on "Paddlers" in most of the State Park surfing areas. The Doheny surfing club tag teamed and got a similar ban put in place at Doheny. I don't think the Doheny ban is that off base. It's a relatively small beach, with a lot of beginners and kids and a so so break at best. But the San O ban is miles of coastline. We get 'bull horned' at Middles with no one there. Someone needs to start a lawsuit with the state parks, or create a joint email to there state representative. I know, another cause to fight for that would eat up more of my time than it's worth. My SUS board, as are most of the regulars, shorter and lighter than most of the proners long boards. That didn't used to be the case, but it is becoming that way.

Anyway, The city of San Clemente just bans surfing at a few spots during the summer, because there are thousands of bather's, and bogie boarding kids at those popular spots. They close the areas to surfing around 9am and open it up in the late afternoon. It makes sense to me, seeing my kids are out there. They do allow beaters, but they can't be longer than 54". I see adults out there with beaters and a hundred people around, and I feel like saying, "Dude, get a real board and walk a couple hundred yards down the beach where you can actually surf!" 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Lets go surf middles!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »
believe me i have thought about going out at OM's and purposefully getting a ticket-then fight it and fight it hard and take it all the way to the SC if need be, have heard that several guys who have gotten ticketed in the past went all the way down to the Vista court and nobody showed up!?

Insert excuse here.

Im just over it mostly-looked over there today and there were easily 60 grumpy longbaorders-beginners-groms-other assorted flotsam and jetsam-would i really want to ride even my short sup throught that minefield?
Most of the jerks there would squat-they wouldnt move-sick of the vibes and stinkeye.
I regularly poach OM's on weekdays during the winter-i can give verbal back as much as i get-and i get it-almost every time, during summer i stay away.
I think the SUP case could be won-i think there are lots of holes in their case-but i just cant muster the strength.
Maybe with the sequester we will see less lifeys down there-many of the sano longboarder club members have them on speed dial.
I have spoken with several of the lifeys-the majority are pretty cool and give you that look like man i dont want to do this either but i have to!-there are a few who are jerks though and seem to love to bullhorn you.
Ive been bullhorned into the beach once in the many times ive poached the spot-played the im a doofus from out of town that dosent know any better card-thats working so far.
I dont bother with Doho-crummy break for a goofy and bad water quality.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Re: Which beaches off limits to SUP surfing? HI, CA, etc?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Anyone know if there's off limit beaches in HI, east coast, or outside the USA? or beaches at risk of shutting out sups?

i remember hearing something about the Hilo area having issues of sups a few years ago. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
@TallDude, et. al.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm fine with the notion of ALL surfers having to share the ocean with non-surfers who want to bob about in the water without fear of getting brained by a  board.  When I lived in CA, I thought it reasonably fair that cities tried to give the surfers the morning glass and late afternoon glass offs, while reserving the middle of the day for the red lobster crowd. Though I thought that if certain spots were firing, the authorities could have left a few good spots available for surfing all day without impacting the sunburn set too much.

But the situation in SanO peeves me. That longboarders pushed through a ban on SUPs is nothing more than selfish move to monopolize the breaks there. SUPers need to guard against such discrimination, especially as SUP equipment evolves.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
Technically, not a ban on Sups.
The paddle is banned.
So if you paddled out your Sup board (sans paddle), and just stood around, no law would be broken.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
Technically, not a ban on Sups.
The paddle is banned.
So if you paddled out your Sup board (sans paddle), and just stood around, no law would be broken.
Cardiff--I had to smile seeing that explanation, because it came from you, and you know the irony in it.  The scary thing is, I could see people enforcing the ban saying exactly the same thing--"What's the problem?  You can still use your SUP.  Just not the paddle."

Reminds me of going to a meeting here where gorgebob complained to the County that their road proposal would eliminate his loading dock.  The County engineer said something like, "Let's step back a minute here.  Nobody's taking away your loading dock.  Granted, you won't be allowed to park or stop a truck in front of it anymore."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal