Author Topic: Need some advice. What do YOU think I should do?  (Read 6403 times)

OldSkoot

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need some advice. What do YOU think I should do?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 02:46:43 AM »
    I commend you on your goal and cause!!! IMO I understand there's an event , but at the same time water is water, do this when it feels right and appropriate for you. Personally I find it sad that you were not welcomed, almost as if you're attempting to steal somebody's  Thunder.
    I'm not saying go and rock their SUP, but for me it's ridiculous how ppl are so offended and easily butthurt. I see absolutely nothing wrong with participating in an event to gain more exposure for your cause. In fact I call that being intelligent and maximizing potential exposure for ALL parties.
   You'll never please everybody, and there may be hidden agendas as to why you've encountered resistance... I think the most important things are to just be determined in your goal, be safe, have fun, and to quote commie slave labor Just Do It!!
  Whatever day you end up deciding, I'm looking forward to pics/vid, and your experience .

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
EgoSmitty--the thing that hasn't been mentioned is how amazing it is that you're doing a 40-mile ocean paddle.  Wow. 

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Against Depression.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
I think I remember Karen Wrenn writing about doing it solo by signing up as a team, but taking every leg, and also remember something about the other woman already having got some press for planning to go solo, and people then treating Karen Wrenn rudely just for entering the picture unexpectedly.

You are right. I received an email from Karen last night and she said almost the exact same thing. She said the race organizers sent her a letter after the event and scolded her for it. She also mentioned that her sponsors (Kaenon, Naish, etc) wrote the event organizers a letter in return. She says they didnt even congratulate her when she finished.

So here is the official plan..

1. I will be paddling for my fundraiser however I am officially paddling on Saturday, April 6th as to avoid the Ohana race altogether.

2. I picked the Wounded Warriors Project as my charity beneficiary.

3. I am crazy excited to do this!

http://gogetfunding.com/project/stand-up-paddle-against-depression-a-personal-journey
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
Jodie wanted to be the first woman to paddle Catalina to DP solo. She did it to raise money for a friend that had cancer. She raised about $5k... When the whale joined her, she got invited to be on Ellen. Her website went ballistic after the show and jumped to $ 120k. Plenty of great press. It helped that Jodie was a ranked surfer on the women's tour and very connected in the industry. She started  "paddle for a purpose" to fund charity events. It's still active today. She's a great ambassador for the sport and hosts a race every march in honor of her late business partner.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Sounds like good advice to me Ego-definitely thanks for your service and glad to hear things are looking up for you health wise- i would say avoid the rude people and go for it!!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
Thank you everyone. By the way, the video trailer is up for the fundraiser!

Stand Up Paddle Against Depression. A Personal Journey!
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Smitty...thanks for your service and sacrifice. It's great that you want to turn a negative into a positive. I know all to well how you feel.

Is the Ohana event a fundraiser? As an organizer I can see both sides of this. It's an incredible amount of work to put together a big event. Pouring all you have into it only to have someone that wants to come in and do their own thing same day same route would definitely be a turn off.  If it is a fundraiser I would be inclined to agree with them. You would be taking away from their efforts and cause. If not then turning you down is pretty shitty of them, and stupid too.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Be safe and good luck. We expect pics and a story... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »
The video was good & fun.  I hope you have good weather for your paddle.

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
The video was good & fun.  I hope you have good weather for your paddle.

Thanks Steve. Double thanks for the donation as well!!! My GPS says I paddled approx 4000 calories this past weekend. Is it weird that I clocked faster miles upwind than downwind? Ha!
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

OCsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
Thank You for your service.  I am the father of a Marine wounded in Iraq.  The Wounder Warrior fund is a worth cause.
Focus 9-0 Smoothy
Rawson 8-8

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
Laird Hamilton posted me on his Facebook this afternoon. I received over 1300 views in an hour...blame Laird.
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
Semper Fidelis!
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal