Author Topic: Need some advice. What do YOU think I should do?  (Read 6402 times)

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Against Depression.
    • Email
Need some advice. What do YOU think I should do?
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
My last thread got moved to the events section but I wanted to post here and ask a question of fellow Zoners.

I have communicated and advertised my intent to paddle the Catalina Channel solo as an exhibition alongside the Ohana Catalina Challenge in April. I am paddling the 40 mile trip solo on a standup to benefit Wounded Warriors. I am also a former Marine who suffers from PTSD and post service depression. It turns out that the event organizers are less than receptive to this idea.

I contacted Jill and Jeane at Ocean Ohana only to be turned down. Jill first stated that they have never let a stand up do the crossing solo. This is untrue because we all know Jared Vargas and Jodie Nelson got permissions to do it. Then stated that my fundraiser would take away all the attention from the relay teams and they didnt want everyone to try and jump on the bandwagon of solo, charitable paddles.

She suggested that I paddle a different day or weekend even though my chase crew and fundraising plans target that specific date. I told her I would just leave out of Avalon early and not bother their event at all. She got pretty rude with me and hung up on me.

So what do you think I should do? I am most certainly paddling for my cause regardless, however should I do it on Saturday? Leave early out of there on Sunday? Am I getting bullied or am I just being a baby about it?

-Will  

http://gogetfunding.com/project/stand-up-paddle-against-depression-a-personal-journey
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:46:13 PM by EgoSmitty »
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice. What do YOU think I should do?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
It seems that you would be piggybacking on their event and you would likely draw attention and dollars away from them. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
I'd say do a different day and be completely separate from their event.  Their concerns seemed reasonable and even the rudeness isn't surprising if you consider things from their perspective.  Plus you may get some more attention for your cause that way anyway, versus being in competition with the race. 

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »
That is what I was afraid of. I dont want to turn my trip into a bad thing just as much as I dont want to get in the way of their event. It is unfortunate that they didnt want to combine the two as an exhibition. I am most likely going to simply change my paddle to that Saturday (the day before) and avoid more drama with them.
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Either way is fine.

It's not their ocean. If you aren't looking for support from them in any way then do it when you please. Worrying about someone else taking away attention seems kind of odd to me. If they were that worried they need to be more accommodating. Excluding people is how you fracture an event.

That said, if the only reason you're choosing that particular day is because it's they day they chose, then pick  different one. Piggybacking without permission is lousy karma.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »
It has been a few years, but I think Jodie Nelson did not do that paddle with any event.

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
It has been a few years, but I think Jodie Nelson did not do that paddle with any event.

From Jodie Nelsons Website:

http://paddlewithpurpose.wordpress.com/larry-the-whale-march-2010-paddle-for-breast-cancer/

On March 28, 2010 we had the honor and privilege to travel with a Minke Whale off the coast of Orange County, California.  Jodie Nelson was on a solo trek on a 14 foot stand up paddle board from Avalon, Catalina to Dana Point, California, a distance of approximately 40 miles,  to raise funds and awareness for Breast Cancer.  She was officially a part of the annual Ocean Ohana Catalina Challenge which is a relay race involving teams racing on single and double Outriggers or Surfski’s, as well as Stand up Surfboards and Paddle boards.  Jodie was given a special start time due to her solo mission knowing it could take up to 10 hours to complete.  If she accomplished her mission, she would be the first woman ever to Stand Up Paddle this crossing.

-------------------------

I also just emailed back and forth with Karen Wrenn. Most of you know her as the woman who paddled the Channel Islands. She also tried to paddle the Ohana race solo and they would not let her. She actually mentioned that they were pretty rude to her as well.

I certainly do not need any bad ocean karma. I picked the date hoping to be a part of the Ohana Challenge and raise awareness for my paddle as well as their relay at the same time. I will most likely end up paddling on Saturday April 6th and avoid them all together. I want this to be a good thing. Not shrouded by drama or bad vibes.
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »
Hey Ego,
I know of a team who signed up as a team, went to the island as a team, then only one team member paddled the whole way (and you know who you are). Maybe that was a work around to the organizers? As Pono says, do it anytime you want. There isn't much or really any coverage of the event anyways. People still think that Jodie Nelson did it solo, just her and the whale. I don't remember hearing of any of the other participants in any of the news coverage about Jodie's paddle. None of the paddlers or crews will care. By the way, thank you for serving our country, and helping out others who have paid the price as well. I hope the paddling is helping you out.

Here's an idea. Start a stand-up paddle race dedicated to Military personal suffering from PTSD. It could be solo or relay teams. Start in Avalon, and finish the race at Doheny, on the beach. Invite Military family and friends to a picnic. They can hang around and cheer on the finishers as they straggle in.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:48 PM »
Correction accepted.
Jodie's encounter with the whale made lots of news.  But, the race received very little coverage.
So, the events experience with the press coverage may have led them to their current decision.  
The decision to be rude is another matter.

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
Tall and Steve are right. The event really didnt get a lot of press and she certainly did. I love the idea of a charity based race for the military and will definitely look into it.

It is official, I will paddle on the 6th and avoid Ohana altogether.
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

EgoSmitty

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
I hope the paddling is helping you out.

Paddling saved my life!
14' SIC Bullet
14' SIC Slice
14' SIC Bayonet
14' SIC Dugout
16' SIC F-16
16' SIC Standamaran
OC1 Puakea Ehukai
OC1 Puakea Kahele Pro

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:52 PM »
Smitty,

Thanks for your service... And for anything and everything that you are doing to help fellow warriors integrate back into society.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Bro,
Doesn't sound to me that this is about you or your "karma"...sounds to me that this is more about lack of "aloha" and respect...TallDude has it right...if I were you, I'd avoid the drama...but, if your heart is into it...just do it!!!
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »
I think I remember Karen Wrenn writing about doing it solo by signing up as a team, but taking every leg, and also remember something about the other woman already having got some press for planning to go solo, and people then treating Karen Wrenn rudely just for entering the picture unexpectedly.  I may be remembering it all wrong, too.  Point is that your request could have brought up some touchy memories for the race organizers--maybe even ones that were the result of their own past missteps--so any rudeness may be explained more by that than it really being aimed at you.  

But in any event,  have a great paddle and maybe you really can get others to join you in the future.  I think you'd have a lot of support.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much as I remember it too. I talked to Karen about it when she got back from the event. She was pretty pissed at the organizers, they kind of screwed her over. The sounded like a weird bunch then and they do again now. I'd avoid them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal