Author Topic: Fastest 14' Board?  (Read 40334 times)

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest 14' Board?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Should we take skill level out of the equation when deciding on the fastest board? Isn't that too subjective? Hence the reason for several riders on the same boards-to factor out skill level.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »

Hey PDX, I had the first model Javelin for a season... It was very fast & probably faster than a M&M... But it was far too unstable for many of the rougher races I did. And forget buoy turns (at least at my skill level). 

Yep.  The fastest, funnest ones are usually the unstable ones.  Which is OK up to the point that you can no longer stand, or even worse you get dumped.  One more reason boards are like women.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »
I had an Interesting couple of days testing a bunch of boards this weekend. Yesterday it was the carbon Sprint 14x25, carbon allstar 14x26, and carbon hollow thinks 14x28 pin and square tail. Neither Starboard seemed to suit my weight of 190lbs. It seemed to be an issue of volume, ie water pushing, tail sinking etc..
The Thinks at 28 felt faster (no GPS times).

Today my brother and I brought out my ast Ace Pro 14x25, his M&M 14x27.5 and a first gen M&M 14x26. For me this group felt faster. My brother was fine on the Sprint yesterday but also felt this crop was as fast. He weighs 150? Even though the Sprint and my ace pro are listed at same volume it did not feel that way. The older M&M is very fast but a handful. Also really low volume as I am submerged in Anything more than pure flat water. Today's boards had issues with buoy turns, except the production M&M.

Forgot to mention also rode the ace 14x25 carbon yesterday in pure flat and was really impressed. I think it would make a fantastic chop board.

What I took from it all is width is important but so is bottom shape. Maybe even as important.
Never a bad day getting to test boards though..

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
Speaking of Black Box (or Blk box), I can't find any contact information whatsoever for them or the designer, Matt Campbell.  Anyone have website, email, or other way to reach them?

And has anyone compared the ACE and Sprint in same widths side by side?  Sprint is made specially for flat water, but everyone seems to say the ACE beats almost anything no matter the conditions.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
It's BlkBox Surf, officially.  The name came up originally when matt was working through the patent process for his main resin product called Resin X.  There was an inside joke reference that somehow turned into the factory name. 

Owner/shaper Matt Campbell can be reached at campbellscoatings@gmail.com

BlkBox Surf has a Facebook site and can be searched and a freind request can be sent.

Matt's contact information is also listed on his resin products site:  www.c3dindustries.com

www.blkboxsurf.com is our registered domain name but there isn't much there yet other than a link to the blog.  Facebook has the latest pics and reports.

Or, you can always pm me and I'll get you in touch with Matt.

Rob
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
Bringing the topic full circle, it would be great to have another test like the one in 2011 that has the Ace as the fastest by quite a margin. Production boards only. M&M, Blkbox, Speedboard, Starboard, Infinity...

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
Bringing the topic full circle, it would be great to have another test like the one in 2011 that has the Ace as the fastest by quite a margin. Production boards only. M&M, Blkbox, Speedboard, Starboard, Infinity...

Agree.  I sold my 12'6 since I hardly use it.  Looking now for a 14' board for training and exercise.  Not big into the races but of course want a good fast open ocean board.  Won't use it too much so I'm gonna search for used ones.
Great thread!

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
For instance, in less flat conditions a board like the #10 Glide would move up, and the Ace or Javelin might drop down.

Am pretty sure that the Ace isn't made for flat conditions, it's designed for choppy ocean racing.

The race actually was biased against boards like the Ace - they had to do a quick sprint, buoy turn, then quick sprint. Not the Ace's forte. It wants to go far and straigh-ish in the chop.

Starboard has the ACE under Flatwater/Race.  Their comments:  "

The Ace boards excel in flatter waters and small wave chop."

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
I have tried the Ace a few times and if you can get over it's "canoe" style, is a very versatile board. On Saturday it was easily the most stable of the 25 inch boards for me. I think the rocker of the Ace may not be perfect for flatwater but it still felt super fast and silent thru the flat. Chop is so satisfying as you kind of bash thru it. Different than anyone other board I have tried.

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I have tried the Ace a few times and if you can get over it's "canoe" style, is a very versatile board. On Saturday it was easily the most stable of the 25 inch boards for me. I think the rocker of the Ace may not be perfect for flatwater but it still felt super fast and silent thru the flat. Chop is so satisfying as you kind of bash thru it. Different than anyone other board I have tried.

How tall are you Corlot? How much do you weigh?

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
For instance, in less flat conditions a board like the #10 Glide would move up, and the Ace or Javelin might drop down.

Am pretty sure that the Ace isn't made for flat conditions, it's designed for choppy ocean racing.

The race actually was biased against boards like the Ace - they had to do a quick sprint, buoy turn, then quick sprint. Not the Ace's forte. It wants to go far and straigh-ish in the chop.

Starboard has the ACE under Flatwater/Race.  Their comments:  "

The Ace boards excel in flatter waters and small wave chop."

It's actually in their "All Water" section... Only the Sprint and K15 are in "Flat Water."

Quote from: Starboard Site
"each year its becoming more evident that in choppy waters the ACE hull simply is the fastest hull around the course... middle rocker line that glides insanely with a curved nose absorbing all chop... the Ace wins practically everywhere in choppy conditions including independent tests.

Sorry if I'm acting like the Ace apologist. I can be a bit confrontational, but am pretty sure that it's designed to be a chop board... I personally just like it because it's a weird design. Don't even own one (yet).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:12:50 PM by JeanG »

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
I bought an Ace 14'x25" because I live in an area that has a lot of choppy conditions.  The Ace just loves the small to moderate chop.  When the ocean is very disorganized, it doesn't fair as well, for me anyway because balance starts affecting speed.  The carbon Ace is 31 lbs, but doesn't feel like 31 lbs on the water during paddling and acceleration.  This is key in longer distance races where fatigue starts playing a factor for certain board configurations. Here's a video in slow mo of the Ace pounding through chop!

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
I think the Ace is the fastest small to moderate chop board around - particularly downwind chop, although it's faster than most race boards upwind as well. The 14'x25" is the most popular model.

If you have the balance or weight for it, the Ace 14x23.5" or some of the other new narrow race boards are likely faster in flat water. Some examples include the Naish LE 14x23 3/8", new Hobie 14x24". I've heard the Starboard Sprint is also faster than the Ace in pure flat conditions.

In general, in flat water, the narrower, the faster. However bottom shape, rocker line, nose/tail shape, and rail shape/thickness all affect how the board will perform in chop and more varied conditions.

In my limited experience, nothing matches the Ace for overall speed and versatility in real world (not flat) conditions, and especially downwind. However the Ace is no good for BOP type races where you're diving onto your board after the beach run (due to the dugout shape). It's also tricky to do buoy turns in rough conditions on the Ace.

I had a custom carbon Bark 14'x25" that was as fast as the Ace 14x25" in flat water but as soon as there was a bit of wind (over 8mph or so), the Ace was faster and it's advantage grew as the wind picked up. After about 25mph, a more stable board with a flat tail that can be surfed more easily will be faster than the Ace since at that point, you're doing more surfing and less paddling.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:39:22 PM by Argosi »

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »

How tall are you Corlot? How much do you weigh?
Hi Suplime,
I weigh 187-190lbs and 5,10 in height. The 25 width Ace is pretty forgiving when going straight. Have not really tested the turning abilities. My dedicated "race" board for next season will be my 14x25 Ace Pro. If i could have a second chop board, it would be an Ace. Before this weekend I was ready to throw some money into the fray for a new board but have only owned the Pro for a few months. Most likely I will be staying put for board purchases.

But a new paddle...

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
Takeo,

Vey cool video!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal