Author Topic: Touring Distances  (Read 7603 times)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Touring Distances
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
Inspired by Celeste's UltraMarathon post in General Category, can anyone share some experience with long-distance or expedition SUP paddling? 

I have a plan to do a 18 km trip to a lodge and return the next day. 

Assuming warmish conditions, what your experience with practical daily distance or time duration on a
1) Lightly provisioned SUP?  Rider, session clothing, water, lunch & snacks, phone, maybe spare paddle.
2) Self contained expedition? All of the above and more for overnight, sleeping bag, tent, stove, lights, shore gear, guessing 40 lbs more than situation 1.

Maybe include age, fitness level and ability level.

Given the race course and time limit on Celeste's Ultramarathon of about ~100km or about 33km a day, maybe my sights are set too low.  There is a 38 km one way trip i would consider too.  But that is more open water and therefor scarier. 

I'm 51, 6/10 for fitness, as for ability - 35 years on small boats, 3 on SUP, 0 SUS.  I do a 10 km course in 2.5 hours.  I think I can do the 18 km in an easy 6 hours with some breaks.  Thoughts?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Touring Distances
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »
6 hours would be a nice leisure pace, very doable. Adding 40 lbs of gear, slightly slower but still doable. I'd do a near shore route before you go open ocean. A 2.5 - 3mph pace is pretty easy to keep up. A good expedition board....12-6 or better and semi-displacement will make it easier obviously.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:27:42 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:31:16 AM »
Water, phone(fully charged in a dry bag/box), snacks, it is all good,,,sunscreen, hat, might be a good idea to take a little medical type tape that you could use to wrap fingers, in case of blistering.  2.5 hour ride one way really is not that long, but when you have to carry provisions for the return trip also, you have to plan a bit.  Not sure what temperature and time of day you are paddling in, but that can make a difference in the amount of water you will need.  Food, whatever power bars you like, but do not try anything new that you have not eaten before.  Skip the spare paddle for sure.  Six hours (even in a single day) is very doable.  Suggest that you should have a a paddle partner, if you are doubling your usual mileage.  Also, be very careful about the wind and weather forecast.  Remember that Minnow set off on a three hour tour and ended up shipwrecked on Gilligan's Island.  Your planned 6 hour tour could easily turn out to be 8-10 or more if the wind and waves get up enough.  Make sure to have a land contact, who knows when/where you are going and plan to check in on safe arrival and return.  Be sure to wear your PFD and leash.  Some people have them, but don't put them on.  Don't be that guy.  If possible, carry any backpack or other weight on the board.  Reduces fatigue and improves balance.  Take breaks along the way and do not allow yourself to get overheated.  Have fun!!                           
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
18 km (11 miles) is a pretty short paddle. Three to four hours, and quite a bit less if you hoof it or there's a tailwind. The biggest thing to consider in a long paddle is wind and current. Sometimes it seems like you have to go uphill in both directions, but usually there's a favorable direction. It's nice if that's the homeward bound direction.

For myself, I've found 40 miles is about the maximum for a day trip--twenty miles out and back. It helps a lot to have a good restaurant at the 20 mile turnaround point.  Keeps you going for that last five miles, refuels you and gives you a rest. And then you HAVE to make it back to the truck.

If you choose the right board and pack your gear well then it won't have a huge effect. If you can pack it behind you instead of in front it balances better and if you have to sit to battle wind you can rest your back against it. Bringing a kayak paddle or having the ability to convert your SUP paddle to a kayak blade is a big plus for battling wind. I made a paddle like that for myself. I don't know if anything is commercially available.

I'm a fat geezer (245, 66) but I have a lot of miles on SUPs of all flavors.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »
For that distance do some checking about cell phone coverage.  It might be good to have a radio with you also.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
40 miles!  PB, you could do my trip twice in a day, or 4 times in my weekend!  I figured I'd get slower and slower over the longer distance.  Also, there aren't any

The perfect trip would be sunny and warm with a thermal inflow and a rising tide to take me up.  The opposite to take me back. 

The cell coverage on my route is spotty, so a hand-held VHF is a good idea.  i already wear a PFD as I usually head out alone.  Great input from everyone.   

Anybody else?  What distances do you do?

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:16 AM »
I've done numerous 20km runs in flat waters & light chop, typically takes a shade under 3hrs, with a 2L camelbak and a couple of energy gels and maybe a snack bar or two on board (also 51yo, moderate fitness and skill). My local waters get chopped up a bit with wind but are inshore and not  much affected by current or tides, and there are plenty of bail-out options if I fatigue or the weather turns nasty.

i'd be talking:
phone
hydration
Snacks

A conservative approach if you're not accustomed to the distance and/or unfamiliar with the waters would include planning around tides, currents, potential winds etc. plan some waypoints for rest and fuel and if your waters are remote, figure out some bail-out points, letting someone know where you are going and some pre-arranged phone check ins with someone. Just a few thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:30:11 AM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
Go for it!  Your distance is very doable even with poor conditions.  Just avoid the windy day.  I rarely paddle less than 4 hours and have done several marathon length paddles.  Food, water, safety and beer breaks help.  After 5-6 hours, my feet start to hurt due to the bunions, but it is sufferable.   

If you are by yourself, you need to be prepared mentally as well.  Wind, chop etc can really f*with your mind when you are alone or at least it has with me.  My mind can be the biggest antagonist when I'm solo.  Finding that calm to deal with the distance and elements is one of the most important aspects. 

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »
I do 34 km paddles fairly regularly in the summer.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:20 AM »
Go for it!  We have a local waterman here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida who does long distance paddles.  Last year, at 58, Bill Whidden was one of two men that paddled 60 miles from Bimini to North Miami.  It took them about 17 hours.  I hear rumors that Bill and another waterman from down in the Florida Keys are planning another run for this year, starting about 12 miles off the coast of Cuba and paddling back to Miami.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/news/first-across-gulf-stream-paddleboard
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Bill Whidden, that name rings a bell. Did he make Freedom Maui Sails back in the windsurfing day?

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
I'm not sure.  I know that he has a sailing background, and around these parts is considered one hell of a waterman.  He's an extremely strong paddler, and smart one as well.  In local races that I have watched him, while he can easily out paddle his competition, it's his choices in his course, how he uses the wind, tide or current to his advantage that is so impressive and gives him even larger margins of victory.  The best part is that he shares his knowledge to those who will listen.  Before and during races, he encourages others and gives advice on how to deal with the conditions.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »
OK, the superhero stories are amazing.  I need some wimp stories.  Anonymity guaranteed.  All you have to say is...

"I had a friend and all he could manage before puking his guts out was X km"  or
"I heard about this guy and all he could do was Y km without being a wreck for a week afterward" or
"Before I was fit, all I could do was Z km, but now that all I eat is fresh krill and whatever the orcas leave me, I do 100*Z"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 09:22:07 PM »
The only difference between a short distance and a long distance is how much time you have.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:40 AM »
weeble (great name by the way) said about Bill Whidden:
"The best part is that he shares his knowledge to those who will listen."

Sounds like he should be on the "Zone".... if anyone knows him, try to get him on here!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal