Author Topic: PSH WAA 10'6 and 11' Flatwater Glide Ability  (Read 2634 times)

VOSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
PSH WAA 10'6 and 11' Flatwater Glide Ability
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get an "all around" board and was wondering whether anybody can comment on flatwater performance of PSH WAA 10'6 and 11'. I'm 5'10' and 190 lbs. and mostly use Naish Mana 10', which is pretty slow in flatwater. I know that PSH 11' WAA would float me with comfort and with no issues. I'm not sure how I would do on the PSH 10'6 WAA since it seems to be significantly less chunky than my Naish Mana 10'. I wanted to find out whether anybody has experienced both the PSH 10'6 WAA and PSH 11' WAA and whether one has flatwater advantage over the other. I'd be doing 70% cruising in marinas and along the coastline and 30% in small surf.

Thank you all in advance,

VOSup

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: PSH WAA 10'6 and 11' Flatwater Glide Ability
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
Of those 2 boards (and defacto the Naish) the PSH would suite your needs

But there are better options

Fanatic Fly Allround 11FT (you could even WS this)
Fanatic Ray 11Ft or 12 MUCH better in flatwater and yes you can ride small waves

these are just Fanatics options but i bet just about every line has these types of designs. JP, Amundson, JL are just a few more that have models like this

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
VoSUP- We're about the same size and I have an 11 foot PSH WAA. I think for the amount of flatwater you do, go with the bigger board. Its got great glide, its stable, and it surfs well on smaller stuff. I have loop tie downs on the front , on either side of the emblem. It really performs well with  gear on it as well. you just have to try to keep the nose up a little by stepping towards the back if its choppy conditions or boat traffic. If you want a dedicated surf board later on, that board would be in the 9+ foot range.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:37:18 AM by piece of 8 »

VOSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
Hi guys and thank you for replying.

While considering a longer "all around" boards I started thinking about possibly keeping my Naish Mana 10 and getting another board for flatwater/ocean paddling. I also wanted to see how I would do on different size boards. I tried Coreban Performer 9'6x29.5". I could paddle just fine although it was not much fun at all since that board had very poor tracking (being a paddle surf board). I also tried Riviera 404 12'6"x28.5" (same model as The Monster). The funny thing was that the Riviera did not seem to glide as fast as I expected. In addition, I had major problems with stability. It also felt like I was standing really high above the water even though I'm 190 lbs.

Is the 28.5" width of the Riviera something that you can grow into?

Also, where can I get Fanatics in the US? Are there any dealers in the Los Angeles/San Diego area? Their Ray model seems really cool.

VOSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 09:16:32 PM »
Come to think of it, I should probably start a separate thread about the Riviera's stability as I'd like to learn about it...

Gaucho

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »
Think that Legends SUP in Carlsbad sells Fanatics..great online store too

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
Try a One World from SUP Sports.  11'1 x 30 and you can even get them wider if you're a big guy.  Priced well since it's a local company (Santa Barbara), you can't really miss their ads all over the Zone.  That board'll fit the bill for cruising along the coast & occasionally getting into some cruiser waves. 

I haven't paddled this board specifically but I've tried their 10'3 (similar shape but shorter) and I thought it performed very nicely. 

I've also heard the new Amundson all-arounds are great for the price.  With SUPs being so pricey, I appreciate brands that make quality boards for a few hundred less than the BIG companies. 

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal