Author Topic: Sophie's Choice  (Read 4667 times)

onshore

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sophie's Choice
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 06:25:16 AM »
My apologies back at ya. I didn't think offense was intended, and I shouldn't have made it sound like I did. It just seemed to me that something very grave (the history, not just a fictional character) was being joked about. Some things are too serious to bear joking, and some kind of response can be called for, no matter the context. I have never heard it used as a colloquialism and hope it doesn't catch on. Boards? I only have one so far but I can dream - that is why I read these threads.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
Manufactured outrage doesn't make the one raging right (or wrong for that matter).  Read "The Joy of Hate" by Greg Gutfeld for more explanation.  I wasn't offended at the reference, any more than I would be if someone invoked the wisdom of Solomon on a judgement call.  A literary reference is what it is.

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »
No worries "Standin", contrived indignation over an urban figure of speech, puts the onus of explanation on the "offended" more so than it does on the "offender".

Apparently, someone "didn't think offense was intended", yet took the opportunity to scold you that your use of the terms were "highly offensive".....go figure. ??? ::)

I'd say you made a great choice "metaphorically".  The KingsSims looks like a blast, hoping to take her for a spin Saturday.....""machette" willing, and the creek don't rise". ;) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal