Author Topic: 40 MPH +  (Read 5458 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
40 MPH +
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »
Surfpainter's post about 40 knot downwinders made me want to open a thread about that. 

We had a really fun run recently, where the wind kicked up into the 40 MPH + range (gusts) between Camp One and the Harbor.  This was my first downwinder where it was blowing the tops off of the swell and "ghosting" around us.  The swell itself was running long and straight down the coast at shoulder to head high.  Things get different at those wind speeds for sure.  So fun being able to pick up swell just by sailing your paddle overhead, and moderating your position in the trough by how much of your back you are showing to the wind.  Full on body sailing.  I had a school of flying fish erupt all around me and get way more than they bargained for when they hit the blast.  Surprised me when they launched, and then a few hit my paddle blade, calfs and and splashed down on board.  One stayed with me for a few seconds, flopping in my deck recession, before splashing off.  Had to remind myself to really grip the paddle during passes, as it wanted to fly off. 

This has me very stoked to get out during some of those winter days when a solid NE swell is running and we get big winds like this.  Those are typically junk days over here, but damn it sounds like fun for an out of control downwinder.

Yeeeeeooooowwwwww!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: 40 MPH +
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:46 AM »
Damn that sounds like fun! I think I'd get wet often though....I might even fall in too.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 02:44:20 PM »
Do you wear a leash for downwinders?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »
Do you wear a leash for downwinders?

Yes, I do.  The race rules say that you need to wear one, so probably good to practice with one. 

Most race boards have a leash plug mid board and that is a big help. 

We tried out a bunch of things and ended up with the smallest coiled body board bicep leashes we could find.  Something like this:

We changed out the cuffs (the bicep cuff is a PITA for legs) with the smallest little competition weight surf leash ankle cuffs.  Something like this:

That makes for a really light setup that never drags.

redhanded

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »
i also recommend leashes, esp on downwind runs.  prepare to swim like an olympian if you fall off of your board.  i have a dakine coil leash on the rear of my xp, not sure how long, but it doesnt drag in the water and stays out of the way when walking up and down the board.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »

that 40+ day was an eye opener for me.  the wind sent me flying (off the board) many times.  that leash was stretched to it's limit a few times.  :o
Support your local shaper

wadadli_waterman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:02:42 AM »
Man, that run you had sounds awesome!  We have had a less than a stellar summer for wind so I am licking my chops for some big winds. 

May have to wait until late fall or early winter as now we are in the thick of the hurricane season.  Its like hurricane stew out here right now; very hot with no wind or swell.  Doldrum conditions unless a storm passes close by. 

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:17:35 AM »
I will look into the leash setup.   Thanks. 

We get the 40 knot winds here in the spring and our conditions are rough.  White caps breaking everywhere with size.  The wind also increases the swell size, so things can get pretty crazy. 

But it sounds like a lot of fun to run with these.  I will have to wait till next spring.  Our winter storm winds can be just as strong, however the swell size is usually to large and confused to even think of running with it. 

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »
It IS crazy fun being in conditions like that. Once you get out and turn downwind everything becomes a sail.... paddle, body etc. The mist on the surface blowing (ghosting as Randy put it) its awesome to watch. You can stand back and paddle in a somewhat relaxed way or you can paddle short and fast, and walk the board to ride big swells for speed. It's a downwinder on the edge! A leash is mandatory.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal