Author Topic: SIC Bullet TWCC - A Heavyweight?  (Read 9237 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SIC Bullet TWCC - A Heavyweight?
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
I just got the new SIC Bullet 14' TWCC (tough wood composite construction) and took it out on the water - initial impressions were that it tracked SO straight. But it felt very heavy, didn't glide well in flat water, and didn't feel fast. I understand its a planing hull but it felt slower and harder to get up to speed then my old 12' Glide. The SIC is a beauty though - the quality and finish are beautiful.

I put the board on the scale and got approximately 34 pounds...does this sound normal for a 14 board? Sounds and feels heavy to me.

Put my AST 12' Naish Glide on the same scale and got ~29lbs.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: SIC Bullet TWCC - A Heavyweight?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:47:09 AM »
The 14ft glides were under 30.  I forgot now what I weighed one at.  I think it was 28.  Carbon or PVC foam make more sense than wood in something you want very light. But I guess wood sells because its pretty.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Custom MALIKO 14's....18-23 lbs.....

www.foote-surfboards.com       
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:55:52 AM by footemaui »

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
TWCC (Tough Wood Comp. Const.) is just a fancy way of saying sandwich construction.  The wood is not visible.  Its a painted, Cobra built board. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
You will be hard pressed to find a 14'+ production board in the low 20's (pounds). A true light weight custom racing or downwind board is going to be fragile. You can't crank down on them when you put them on your car rack, otherwise you'll have two long dents. Carbon-fiber is a little more forgiving, but not much. If they hit the shore as you just glide up to the sand, you will damage them. If you fall on to your knees on the board, you might go through the deck. Most of the racers with customs, keep some 5 min. epoxy handy all the time. In a pinch, shrink wrap tape works good to get you through a race. It sticks and seals better than duct tape. My new custom 18' will be around 22#'s. One layer of 3.9 oz. carbon fiber, over #1 EPS. That is about the minimum. As for the Bullet, they have way to much nose rocker for flat water. It creates a bow wake which you don't want. If you are downwinding in Hawaii (surfing big capping runners) they are the best.  
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »
I think that weight is average for the construction and volume. I had an older carbon Glide 14 and it was 30lbs. My carbon fixed fin 14 Bullet is very light and I am worried about it being fragile. I think it can be the luck of the draw on production runs. I would not worry about the weight too much as the board is very versatile. As Talldude said not a flatwater speed demon but catches runners like crazy! My wife has a 12 Glide and once the waves hit, she always wants to ride the Sic. Enjoy your new ride!

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
 Hey Rastaman, I wouldn't let it bother you ;). Like Corlot just said, that doesn't seem too far off for what it is.  I'm awaiting shipment of one of them (14' TWCC) with  the rudder option, and was kind of guessing they would be in the low 30's.
 This did get me curious, so I took my trusty scale and weighed the two, 2011 Glides at the shop. They got put on the scale, and balanced as best as possible, and I did this 3 times to check for any changes.

The 12' is Carbon, and was 27.5 the first reading, then 28 for the next two. The 14' is AST, and was 34.5 lbs all 3 times. I would be surprised if a 2011 Carbon 14' Glide was more than 2-3lbs lighter than the AST.
 Sweet looking boards and I'm stoked you have yours already!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
You guys realize the bullet is an open ocean downwind board right? it's not going to be as quick as a dedicated flatwater board in the flats, and compared to others in it's class, it's at the top of the food chain! that is why SIC dominates in Hawaii, and downwind conditions.  weight is probably more of a factor in the flat water then it is riding open ocean swells.  Weight might make it harder to get up to speed from a dead stop, but when your on the bumps it will carry more momentum into the next trough.  And carbon fiber is NOT forgiving at all! carbon fiber will crack before it give

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
Thanks paddlers for the feedback - in particular RainWaves for those pics and checking out the weight of the comparable AST 14' Glide.

I did a comparison test of my old 12' Glide and the SIC - in flat water, no wind, no chop.
SIC

Glide

SIC is barely faster - if any. I'm real surprised at those figures (obviously the elevation is messed up) and I understand this is a open ocean racing board - but the old Glide is no race-horse, it has an elf-shoe nose...I was just hoping the SIC would be a bit more well-rounded than a strict downwind machine. I'm sure I'll have a change of heart when the wind comes up  :)

More pics coming soon!

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »
few pounds more is peanuts in percentage of total board+rider ... and in case we care abt weight better have a diet to loose weight so we lower our center of gravity ;) .  I even believe that in heavy downwind conditions a heavy- without excess- board is easier to control; if weight is well balanced= no excess weight near nose or tail; which may increase inertia momentum.
the only condition where lightweight is essential is beach races; to carry boards and handle turns and accelerations.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »
Rasta,
Have you played with your position on the board? I have been adjusting on my Bullet and find it makes a difference between pushing water and gliding.

I think the 12 Glide is an underrated flatwater board. My brother had a Coreban Alpha Race and the Glide was noticeably faster (for me).

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: SIC Bullet TWCC - A Heavyweight?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
I'm a distance guy. 3miles is just a warm up. In 10 to 15 mile races weight is a huge issue. I do some flatwater races but mostly open ocean through the surf which is where I train. I try to find a happy medium. Flatter nose rocker but a little more tail rocker to get a little push from the bump. If your in a true downwind run with big wind and swell pushing you, the paddling is just quick bursts to catch the next runner. Weight is not going to be an issue. Standing higher on the deck gives you more surfing control. More nose rocker with a planing hull lets you surf steer the board. Displacement hulls grab, and counter steer. Not what you want on a true downwinder. So I guess, let the conditions dictate which board you use?

Talldude mobile
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SideChop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »
I picked up a Bullet 12 SCC construction a few weeks ago.  It weighs 24 lbs.  It's a little slow in flat conditions but surfs great and catches bumps effortlessly. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal