Author Topic: Why is it so much easier for me to paddle upwind than downwind?  (Read 4573 times)

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
So I've been paddling for just about a month now, and I'm having a hard time getting the hang of paddling downwind.  I really want to get into some long downwind runs, so it's kind of frustrating.  When I paddle upwind, I can keep a nice, smooth tempo and pace, but when I'm going downwind, I feel like I'm all over the place.  I can't catch a swell for the life of me, and when I do manage to get pushed along a little bit, as soon as the swell passes underneath my board, it feels like I come to a complete, dead stop and my whole body jerks forward.  That pretty sums up my downwind paddling - very jerky.  My body constantly gets pushed foward, and then I rock backwards and have to catch myself.  It feels like I'm always on the verge of falling, so I can't keep a good paddling tempo.  Meanwhile, my girlfriend can't paddle upwind for crap, but will sail right on by me downwind.  I'd really like to keep a smooth, steady pace, but right now I just look robotic when paddling downwind.  Any tips?  Thanks a lot!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why is it so much easier for me to paddle upwind than downwind?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »
You're not the only one..I find that when paddling into the wind I stand a little more forward on the board.

If I was to stay in that position paddling downwind I'd be all over the place.

Paddling downwind I tend to stand further back than the normal position and also stagger my stance..I find that helps heaps.

Also some boards don't like going down wind..They tend to bog down as the hit the back of the wave in front.

DJ

redhanded

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
what kind of board and what size is it?  also, how strong is the upwind?

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  DavidJohn, I've also begun to stand a little farther back on my board when going downwind, but so far it's only helped a little.  I haven't tried the staggered stance though, so I'll give that a try.  Redhanded, I'm currently on an 11'9 Angulo Nui, and when I went out this weekend the wind was 15-25 mph.  The prior weekend, it was slightly stronger than that.  Thanks again!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
I have the same problem. I think if the swells were bigger and catchable it would be fine but smaller stuff that just passes under leaves me bogged down on the back side. I'm always less stable in those conditions. I love fighting my way upwind in heavy chop, you can see what's coming and paddle accordingly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:53:54 AM »
A staggered stance is necessary, just as it is for surfing, and you should work on doing switch foot for paddling on each side. Most boards work best for downwind with the weight a little backwards of the standard position. You might also look at your fin, if it's on the small side it won't maintain control when the swell rolls under you. Having it too far forward can also give problems.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

warped

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I tried the staggered stance out this morning, and it did make a big difference.  I just need a little better balance when paddling in that stance, which I'm sure will come with practice.  I'll definitely practice paddling switchfoot next time.  I can see how that would help a lot.  It's funny how little changes make things so much easier!  Thanks again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal