Author Topic: How much is weight a factor for racing  (Read 8867 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
How much is weight a factor for racing
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »
Not the weight of the board....the weight of the engine.

I'm currently a svelt 245, there is still some fat to be lost but I'm not sure how far I'd need/want to go. I'd be cutting into muscle at 225. I haven't even raced yet but I'm really interested in giving it a shot. I assume if I can maintain or even add strenghth and lose weight I'll get faster.

My plan is to work on the engine until next spring and then look into race boards.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How much is weight a factor for racing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »
Race with your Starboard. It's a good production board for racing, maybe one of the best.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »
Not the weight of the board....the weight of the engine.

I'm currently a svelt 245, there is still some fat to be lost but I'm not sure how far I'd need/want to go. I'd be cutting into muscle at 225. I haven't even raced yet but I'm really interested in giving it a shot. I assume if I can maintain or even add strenghth and lose weight I'll get faster.

My plan is to work on the engine until next spring and then look into race boards.

Hey Bob,

They say that a heavy rider on a bicycle will go down hill faster than a light rider.

You just have to find some water with a downhill slope and you'll be as fast as..  ;D

DJ

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
seems to me that the lighter riders (especially when they're on lighter race boards) seem to be able to move down the line a lot quicker. it probably holds true as they displace a lot less water which translates into less drag.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
I do plan on using the 12-6 for now and maybe even later, depends on what races develop on the east coast.....if any.

DJ...If I come down under does my weight become an advantage then... ;D

Well I'm never going to be "light". I was 220 when I was 15 and skinny. I'm not even sure I can get close to 225. I was weighed at the Doctor's yesterday and I'm actually back up to 255.... >:(. 30 lbs seems like a lot from where I am now. Displacement is not going to be my friend. May have to consult with a pro on nutrition and training. I may have too much muscle. I don't think I have 30 lbs of fat left to lose.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
hmmmm... i'm not light either. was thinking of loading the uli with helium but maybe extreme body modification is the key. amputation anyone?
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »
I bet you do have at least 30 pounds of fat you could loose. I had my body fat done the right way, in a tank when I was at 245 (I'm 250 this morning) and I was at 22 percent . Ugh, imagine that. I'm carrying forty pounds of disgusting blubber around everywhere I go. You're looking way better, but from the side you still have a gut, and you have noticeable fat on your back. I looked at you for seven hours the other day, I know.

Let's assume you are at 20 percent BFI. Essential fat for men is 2 to 4 percent, athletes are 6-13%. Fit men are 14-17%. If you are going to go all the way to a good athletic level--say 10% you'd need to lose 10% of your body weight and that's 25 pounds. There's no way you have the muscle mass you had at 15. After age 45 you start to loose about 1 percent of your muscle mass per year. Heavy exercise can slow that, but you and I were not doing that (except for lifting our fat asses).

You are NOT going to lose muscle from more dieting and exercise unless you do it all wrong--you'd have to starve yourself while continuing to exercise. I can't imagine you doing that.

We both have a long way to go. I have all those stats at the tips of my fingertips and a generally pissy attitude because I have just been going over all this stuff for myself. I have less muscle mass than you do--always did, but now I'm sixty. I think if I want to be athletic I need to weigh 210.

I propose a weight bet between the two of us. I'd like to lose two pounds a week and get to 210. What's your goal?

Anybody else on the Zone that's interested in joining the bet, chime in. Of course most of you that I've met are skinny wretches.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Are you saying you were checking out my backside for 7 hours?.... ;)

Actually I was doing a lot of heavy exercise up until 4 years ago so I'm not sure how much muscle mass I've lost....and remember...I'm a LOT younger than you..... ;D 45 was only 5 years ago.

I had my BFI done in a tank when I was playing HS football and swimming...I was at 5% at 220 lbs. Doc said I had the lowest he'd seen in someone healthy. Of course that was a LONG time ago so it doesn't mean much now.

OK...sounds like a bet. I think the 225 is reasonable for me. I'd guesstimate that would get me close to 10% now. At 2 lbs/week thats 15 weeks. Just before Christmas in time for some new clothes. What's the bet going to be?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:12:27 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. It's why I was trying so hard to get ahead of you. I cheered every time you fell off.

I'll leave the bet to you, whatever you like is fine with me. Here's the method. We do an official weigh in Friday and post our starting weights here. Sue looks at your scale, and Diane looks at mine. Every Friday we post our new weight. You need to make weight each week. If you blow it one week, you need to make up by the next or you lose one weigh in (we need a bet for that). Two pounds per week for fifteen weeks--30 pounds--with the goal to be whatever Friday's weigh in minus 30. An additional bet for making the final number. I'm good with something nominal or something serious. If it works the way it should the bet size won't matter because we'll both make it.

StandUpVirgin

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:44:09 AM »
 You Guys crack me up :D :D :D!!!  Cheering both of you on the whole way.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »
Sounds good. The bragging rights will be more important than the bet so we should just make the bet something goofy. Grass skirt and coconut bra playing the uke on youtube for the loser?....oh wait...I can't play the uke.. ;D Then again...I have no intention of losing....and you do play.... ;D Just kidding...not sure I could face even the potential for that much humiliation.
I don't know but we should think of something that might have the potential for entertainment here on the zone and ke nalu. something Sup related...videos of attempts at stupid human tricks. I've yet to do a head stand on my board...how about you?
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »
We need two--one for blowing two weeks of goal in a row, and one for not making it to the end. I suggest both--stupid human tricks video for  blowing two weeks, coconut bra, grass skirt and uke on youtube, singing "twinkle, twinkle" in falsetto for not making 30 pounds.

I'd do my own liposuction with a box cutter and a bicycle pump to avoid that last one.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
And the winner gets a nice fried Seafood Platter.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 05:51:11 AM »
Hehe....you know it weed.....Bill was here for 3 days for the CCBC...he had fried clams breakfast, lunch, and dinner.....except for the carb loading dinner on friday when we drank too much wine... ;D
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »
So that's the bet, let's move this to Ke Nalu to keep track. Anyone who wants to join in can sign up there. The nature of the bet makes it easy for anyone to join in--set your own goals, track them weekly, and and if you blow them get ready to star in your own video.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal