Author Topic: Getting a SIMSUP  (Read 15684 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting a SIMSUP
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
Makes great sense and is a damn good explanation.  Thanks.  As a customer it really pays to be well informed on this tradeoff issue as I strive towards being able to stand on something I can come close to surfing like I did on a prone board.

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
Make sense?

Corran
Makes excellent sense.  Great explanation.....wish I had this info a month or so ago, when I was sitting, design my new board with Chelu.

While I'm still VERY happy with the board, the above write up explains a couple things I've noticed about it, and I may have done a couple things just slightly different. 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
Not for nothin', but standing parallel on a narrow board is quite difficult compared to "Ninja Style". With my feet in a semi-surf stance, I can lean fore, aft, and then adjust side-to-side by pushing on my toes and heels.

Also, narrower boards feel smaller because they respond quicker to rider inputs while standing around or paddling. Less of the board bucking you off (you reacting to it), and more of it reacting to where you want it to go.

That all being said, the Sims-Sups look deceivingly big. :)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
Great feedback from everyone. I suppose ultimately it's like DW said, it has to be experienced. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
Not for nothin', but standing parallel on a narrow board is quite difficult compared to "Ninja Style". With my feet in a semi-surf stance, I can lean fore, aft, and then adjust side-to-side by pushing on my toes and heels.

Also, narrower boards feel smaller because they respond quicker to rider inputs while standing around or paddling. Less of the board bucking you off (you reacting to it), and more of it reacting to where you want it to go.

That all being said, the Sims-Sups look deceivingly big. :)

I do the ninja groove too.  It's pretty much required on the heroine chic Mach 1.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
Corran's just explained why I'm screwed, tall, heavy, and a wide stance for my crappy balance.... >:(
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
I'm with you Stone. Just wondering if I narrow my stance up and go a little more surf stance if that'll work me towards better stability overall and on the next SUP.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Corran's just explained why I'm screwed, tall, heavy, and a wide stance for my crappy balance.... >:(

Hey at least you have a good excuse...I just have crappy balance :D Oh and heavy...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
I forgot old... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 05:56:16 AM »
Bumping this thread.  Is everyone going stinger less on these boards.  All the L41 Simsups look like they are stringerless.  Thinking about jumping on the bandwagon but not sold on stringless.  What say you on durability and dents so far

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
My L 41 simsup is 2x6 oz bottom, 3x6 oz top w/deck patch stringerless. This was considered a heavier layup. Board weighs under 18 lbs.

I've slammed the rails pretty good and the worst I have gotten was a few small spider cracks from paddle hits which I proactively sand and epoxy over when I see more than one. Never had a ding or major repair.

No noticeable dents anywhere (deck included) after a year.

Not as tough and durable as my Fanatic Allwave or all the Starboards I have owned but pretty good.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 07:27:11 AM »
jd,

I've only had my L41 a short time but I've been out many times with it.  I can tell you this, the board feels extremely durable.  I've had some really bad whacks that made me cringe.  I looked over my board and couldn't even find a mark.  I have 2 layers top and bottom with one deck patch layer.  Extremely pleased with the durability and the board feels pretty stiff.  My next one I am going lighter on the glassing and carbon on the rails to compensate for the light glassing, otherwise I would not do the carbon rails.

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »
The four SIMSUP models look similar in dimensions and general shape. Their web site explains the positives of the models as one goes from 1 to 4 (higher performance, etc.). What are the negatives? In other words, if model 4 is the latest & greatest, why would anyone buy a new #1-3?

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »
just have a minute to respond but someone else can chime in with better details.

Each version goes a little more progressive from the simmons inspired design.  So S1 would be the closest to the simmons design.  S4 would be more the progressive style.  So the 4 has a tad more curvey outline with a little more tail rocker.  I wanted that style of board for my style of riding.  One is not better than the other, it's just different options depending on what you like.  If I were to have a 2 board L41 quiver, my next would be an S2 at 6'10" x 28 x 4 around 90L.  S1 carries a tad more volume than the S2 and so on to S3 and S4.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again