Author Topic: beginner questions  (Read 6650 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
beginner questions
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
I’m new to SUP and new here also. I got a Sup a bit ago and have been doing a lot of paddling, but since there’s been a surf-drought in San Diego, I’m not getting many waves. I do think I’ve progressed enough to catch some, but have a couple of beginner questions. My biggest question is wave catching. Thanks in advance.

1.   When you set up to catch a wave, do you try to have you last wave catching strokes on the side you’re taking the wave? Let me try to re-phrase that. Assume that when I paddle, the board will turn to the side I’m stroking on. If I’m going to catch a wave and ride it right do I point the board straight, stroke a couple on the left, then stroke on the right as I’m being picked up by the wave.
2.   When I’m waiting for the next swell, do you suggest I point outside, towards the beach or sideways to the swell? Remember, I’m a beginner and haven’t got to the quick ‘turn & burn’ stage yet.
3.   A non wave catching question. When you paddle in a straight line, how often do you typically stroke on each side?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:06 AM »
I'll take a crack at this and I am sure others will give their methods.

1.   When you set up to catch a wave, do you try to have you last wave catching strokes on the side you’re taking the wave? Let me try to re-phrase that. Assume that when I paddle, the board will turn to the side I’m stroking on. If I’m going to catch a wave and ride it right do I point the board straight, stroke a couple on the left, then stroke on the right as I’m being picked up by the wave.

I aim to have my paddle on the wave side for my last stroke.  That is to say, if I'm going right, it will be on the board's right side.  If you are sitting deep, this may only be a stroke or two, so no need to consider.  If you lined up too far outside, and will need to take a bunch of strokes to grind in, you may need to start on the opposite side, which may redirect your nose, but when you switch, your nose will come back to your desired position.  Like with all surfing, your desired angle will depend on the nature of the wave.  If possible, time it so you will not need to switch paddling sides to get in.  It is nice to have your paddle on the wave side for pressuring in deep bottom turns, or for helping to unweight the board for your upturn on pumps.  Also, you can use it for off the lip sweeps, laybacks, etc, if its on the wave side.

2.   When I’m waiting for the next swell, do you suggest I point outside, towards the beach or sideways to the swell? Remember, I’m a beginner and haven’t got to the quick ‘turn & burn’ stage yet.

Point out so you can watch for sets, the perfect takeoff spot, whales, me (what the hell am I waiting for out there?), etc.  Practice your turns. 

3.   A non wave catching question. When you paddle in a straight line, how often do you typically stroke on each side?

This depends a lot on your gear.  On the Mistral Pacifico I paddled this week: 20, on a little board with 4 inch thrusters: 3-5.

This is a big Q and I am sure others will have completely different thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:18:08 AM by Rand »

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:51:20 AM »
Rand,

Lingo - sitting deep, what does this means? Is it that the wave you gonna to catch is very steep?

My biggest problem is with steep waves. They either throw me out of balance or tend to pearl me. I probably know what I should do with them - sit lower, walk more to the back (correct? anything else?) - but it happens so fast, I often don't react properly... Also, I kinda a bit afraid and I switch from parrallel stance to surfing stance too early.

What I noticed is that parrallel stance is way more stable when I paddling, but as soon I caught the wave the surfing stance is more stable. Is it right?

And if the wave just crushed behind me, there is no way I can catch it (unless it is 5" high...). Is there any advice how to catch 2 feet of white water that just crushed behind you?

Thanks!

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
Catching waves early/ paddling hard = parallel stance.

Catching steep/critical waves = Surf stance

Since a steeper wave will give you board more of a shove, it's nice to be in surf stance where you are a lot more stable for and aft. It also gives you weighting ability, so you can lean on your front foot paddling in, and then weight the back foot & angle the board to avoid pearling once you have caught the wave.

Parallel usually puts your weight forward, so it's better for gliding in early, but if the wave is steep it can be easy to pearl or get thrown off the back.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
Lingo - sitting deep, what does this means? Is it that the wave you gonna to catch is very steep?

In Deep means closer in towards where the wave will break (yup, steeper take-offs), too deep and it breaks on your head :)

My biggest problem is with steep waves. They either throw me out of balance or tend to pearl me. I probably know what I should do with them - sit lower, walk more to the back (correct? anything else?) - but it happens so fast, I often don't react properly... Also, I kinda a bit afraid and I switch from parrallel stance to surfing stance too early.

You are not alone with steep take-offs being difficult. The trick is staying commited, weight slightly forward at first, and then getting your weight further back and on your rail to face the music before your nose digs.  On longer boards that may require steps, on shorter boards, a weight adjustment may do it.  Ideal is if you can drop with the speed you've gained from your steep entry, and sweep that momentum into a solid turn that sends you down the line.

What I noticed is that parrallel stance is way more stable when I paddling, but as soon I caught the wave the surfing stance is more stable. Is it right?

In general yes, but switching to surf stance becomes pretty comfortable as soon as you feel the push.  Like Donner mentioned, steep drops usually require that you are in surf stance, or adjust pronto.

And if the wave just crushed behind me, there is no way I can catch it (unless it is 5" high...). Is there any advice how to catch 2 feet of white water that just crushed behind you?

These are likely going to be pretty style-less takeoffs, so surf stance, low and use your paddle to brace for the bounciness.

I hope that helps.

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »

Switching stance too early shouldnt be much of a problem as you can still paddle in surf stance. I switch to surf stance for the spin and sometimes stay there through the wave entry. works for me, just takes a bit of practice in adverse conditions to become adept at. I still suck.

yulp

I find that a surf stance and ALOT of weight on your front foot can compensate for getting hit in the back. It gives you room to get the board pushed forward.

Thanks!

your welcome

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »
About that "sdtyle-less takeoffs" (thanks Rand :)):

Allan,
"I find that a surf stance and ALOT of weight on your front foot can compensate for getting hit in the back. It gives you room to get the board pushed forward -"

means in the surf stance in anticipation of the hit all the weight is on front foot but still nose should be up enough? Otherwise with a shove from the wave it will pearl I guess... And when you say "gives room", you mean give room to load the back pronto after push to compensate for it. I.e. it gives room to load back foot because its not loaded before the push. And so after this initial push that wants to level me and pearl I can prevent it by loading back foot? Do I undersatnd you correctly?

In any case with your advices guys (Dooner, Rand, Allen) while on flat water I should probably to concentrate on paddling in the surf stance, like an exercise, to beef up this skill. And with white water style-less takeoffs  I guess I should try to progress slowly from small whitewater to bigger whitewater hitting me from behind.

Let me describe what's actually hapenning with me when I take it deep (because I don't know how to turn, just concentrated on catching). After I catch it I move backwards, load back foot to avoid pearling. Following scenarios are possible:
1. I suceed :)
2. I pearl :(
3. I move too much back and it passes me. Usually the next one is coming and it is already crushed, so I have to resort to style-less takeoffs, so its not completely useless skill, I guess.
4. I move too much back it tries to pass me, but I am fighting back paddling like hell in surfer stance and I catch it again. At this moment we have 2-3 feet wave, that is crushing, I am on top of it, my board is parallel to sea level, pointing to the beach of course, nose is sticking out 5 feet, and because the board is horizontal it is 2-3 feet above the water. I am standing just above the section that crashes, my one foot behind the crashing edge, another in front of it (in front of this crashibng water, so actially there is 2-3 foot gap of air underneath it.) Scarry!!

If from this position I pearl it is real whipeout. However if I manage not too - its a lot of speed, spray and fun. Enough probably to start a bottom turn, but I am so excited at this moment that all I want is just to enjoy safety of being on the stable board moving ahead of the wave... I hear the sound of the wave behind, I am a bit afraid of it, I don't want to push myself into new effort, I am relaxed, life is good... and I ride it all the way, up to an ankle deep water :)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 05:08:51 AM »
About that "sdtyle-less takeoffs" (thanks Rand :)):

Hey Alap,

I didn't mean for that to sound negative (using these damn words is so tricky).  Getting whacked from behind by the whitewater is tough for anyone to make look good.  Its an all at once affair.  Catching green waves is a much smoother go.  One other thought: the more momentum from paddle speed that you can have when the pile hits you, the less pitching impact it will have, so try to get in some strong stokes.  Also, catching already broken waves on the inside can be a great place to start.  Typically out of the way, and depending on the spot, you may get some nice reforms.

Best,
Randy

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 06:11:23 PM »
Allan,
"I find that a surf stance and ALOT of weight on your front foot can compensate for getting hit in the back. It gives you room to get the board pushed forward -"

means in the surf stance in anticipation of the hit all the weight is on front foot but still nose should be up enough? Otherwise with a shove from the wave it will pearl I guess... And when you say "gives room", you mean give room to load the back pronto after push to compensate for it. I.e. it gives room to load back foot because its not loaded before the push. And so after this initial push that wants to level me and pearl I can prevent it by loading back foot? Do I undersatnd you correctly?

.......  I have no idea what the question is...

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
Rand,

i never sad its negative! its just funny. and true. i myself is no fun of political correctness.

Alan,

question was: "room" for what? for walking forward, for walking backwards? that what i was wanting to elaborate. but never mind. i got a direction and i will nail it going from small whitewater to bigger whitewater... today I was windsurfing... 5.0 on 75 liter - it was always tad big for that small board for me. today it was fun :))

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

.......  I have no idea what the question is...

I feel that way all the time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:47:50 PM by Chan »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal