Author Topic: Has anyone installed a Windsurf Attachment in a SUP?  (Read 6418 times)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Has anyone installed a Windsurf Attachment in a SUP?
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »
I'm fairly skilled in the art of board repair, but my biggest problem is I can't figure out where to source the Attachment Bung! I've found mast tracks, but no bungs. Has anyone done this? How'd you do it, and where did you find parts?

Thanks!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Has anyone installed a Windsurf Attachment in a SUP?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »
I could not find the single inserts anywhere. That one seen in SUPs, appears to be a custom fitting exclusive to Cobra. I've heard they tear out too.

I have mounted a 2 bolt Chinook base using 1/4-20 kiteboard inserts set in a divinycell block. But I prefer doing the 8" Chinook mast track box.

I know one big name custom SUP manufacturer sets his fin boxes in wood, so you could set the mast box in wood, if you can't get divinycell.

I set everything using carbon fiber.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
did you find this thread
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=15212.0

btw - i think a 'bung' is the plug at the top of the mast.  this is where you get the expression 'all bunged up' or 'ive been bunged'  'bung me sideways' etc. .  ;D 

seriously you can likely carve up an old ws board and get a nice box all set in a nice pvc block ready to go.  ;)

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
I don't know about the bung and I am not sure I want to. I have installed a two bolt Chinook base.
Use single footstrap inserts and stainless screws. PM me if you need the parts.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
I did one with a proto part that Michi from Naish gave me and one with a fin box. Both work fine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
After a bit of research I decided to just use a fin box. Why someone would pay twice for the same thing labeled a mast track defies me.

I also differed and didn't set it in wood or divinycell, which might seem crazy at first, but there were two major factors that led me to that decision:

1. It seems the board lady uses the justification that epoxy does not stick to plastic, therefore the bond from fin box to foam is not a good one. The dinvyncell therefore acts as a anchor on the fin box side, and bond on the foam side. After some more internet searching it seemed that almost all the information on swaylocks pointed to this being way overkill, and that with modern materials it is completely unnecessary and mostly a perk for a fin plug so that if it got torn out the larger part of foam in the board wouldn't soak up water. To me, coming from a boat background, insert areas will often be solid reinforced resin, routered out, which seemed to me more robust than putting divyncell in there and satisfies me enough that both sides of the set up are well anchored. So I went about 1/2" all the way around the box.

2. I also remembered the Nelson Factory videos. Near as I can tell from watching several times over and they do not use inserts at all. Good enough for me.

So the track went in, let it set, sanded down, and then I put three gradually larger patches of glass over top squeeqeeing out the air,  eventually extending out 2", then letting it set with a foam block with 35 lbs of weight on it in lieu of vaccum bagging, sand again, bit of a hot coat, traction pad back on. Should be plenty solid. I did my best to keep the traction pad intact, it suffered some damage, but overall not bad and I might use an insert of leftover Dakine pad yet just to clean things up.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »
Too late for you, but if it helps someone else.......

1) A surfboard fin box is $7.00 because it's just cheap plastic. Some are really bad multi piece boxes prone to splitting and causing hidden leaks.  Total garbage and not used by the windsurf industry for good reason.

2) American made windsurf boxes are the best in the world, made by Chinook. They are glass filled plastic and not junk plastic. The toughest DuPont used to make. I use to know the DuPont name, but I'm too old to recall it. With the high glass fill content they can be a bitch to sand. Tough as hell. $14.00 is more than fair.

3) The Chinook boxes have dovetail grooves down the sides that don't go all the way to the bottom, helping the epoxy lock the box against pull out.

4) The Nelson factory does set the boxes in PVC foam.  You missed it some how.

This is why we can loop and jump 20 feet and do no damage.

For SUP you may get lucky.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, some of it I had considered already:

Somewhere in my searching I came across multiple people who have used the fin boxes for years in SUP's with no issues. I'd agree with you that for a windsurfing board it's probably not the best idea, but if a SUP is getting jumped, other things are breaking too.

I notched the box with a grinder to increase the areas where the epoxy will grab into it. This box also had a flared bottom. Again, probably not as good as the real thing, but for a SUP, plenty good.

Either way, there were plenty of accounts I read of where people did far lesser of a job and seem to be getting away with it. I am fairly confident with my skills, so I am also fairly confident there won't be any issues, but only time will tell.

As a windsurfer myself, I see a HUGE difference between the stress of blasting along in 35 knots and 6' swell compared to putting around in 10 knots with knee high waves 1-3 times that might happen a year. It's just another option to have, just in case.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
Mine started out as a light wind toy. But then the challenge of big waves and wind on my 11'3 became seductive ;D

People think I'm crazy, but boy it is fun.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
I am guessing the reason for setting an insert of foam, instead of pouring an insert of reinforced epoxy resin of the same size is probably just to save weight (then routing out either to actually fit the box)? Hence in a boat, where weight of that amount is negligible you can just make the section of the deck solid. I just can't see any structural advantage to closed cell foam, but maybe I am missing something.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Here's the way I see it.  Windsurf rigs and boards are expensive and your life is priceless.  I've seen people lose their entire rigs to the sea and have seen total separations.  By total separations, I saying that the board, the rig, and the skipper were all separated by a gear failure.  There's no leash when windsurfing and the board can easily be blown away, taken by the waves or the rip current without the attached rig being the sea anchor.  The rig is not much of a floatation device and may just sink.  That might be the only thing your still have around to distract you for a short while when it all happens.  Not that good in cold water especially when you're already pretty far out and the rip is taking you out even more. I've seen it happen.   

Best to make sure that the mast box is in there, totally solid, bomber style, and worry free no matter what.  I don't want to worry about any unforseen heavy duty moments or eventual wear and tear there. Sometimes the heavy shit happens and the sub-par parts or tools don't hold up.  Check the gear, change the U-joints, and having total faith in the gear can help avoid the dramas.   

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:51:50 AM »
I am guessing the reason for setting an insert of foam, instead of pouring an insert of reinforced epoxy resin of the same size is probably just to save weight (then routing out either to actually fit the box)? Hence in a boat, where weight of that amount is negligible you can just make the section of the deck solid. I just can't see any structural advantage to closed cell foam, but maybe I am missing something.

Definitely weight. The lightest board planes the earliest.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
Done and done. I managed to keep the pad, though the thin front part didn't come off perfectly. Still, looks pretty good and saves a $150 pad. Within short order nasty brown streaks of wax should hide the imperfections anyways (smooth sections of the pad need wax to make them have any traction).

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
hey 14, looks good and all and i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you used a fin box and installed it in the deck, your board is now UPSIDE DOWN  ;D    it might still work ok...  in AUSTRALIA  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal