Author Topic: My $15 tail handle  (Read 22355 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My $15 tail handle
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
  Could you poke someone's eye out with it?

ny37

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:07 AM »
cb,

This is the one I used, it's on the NSI site. It is flexible webbing, with a soft neoprene cover. It worked for me, just use caution . Always have the nose pointing toward the beach grab with fingertips and don't use your thumb to wrap around just keep it away.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251&idcategory=99
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:12:25 AM by ny37 »

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
Just curious if anyone else has tried this. What if you just tied a piece of rope to the same cord that the leash attaches to. It would hang behind the tail about 8-10 inches with a knot on the end.    It would be easy to grab and nothing to pinch if the board twists.  Maybe soemthing like 5/8" or 3/4" diameter. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
With a grip parallel to the board, you would necessarily have to grip the handle fully, involving fingers and thumb which could result in an injury.  You would probably only have to get your hand pinched once to realize that this is not optimal (ask me how I know).  Having the handle come across the tail of the board allows you to use the safer finger tip only grip.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
Seems to me that if the tail handle was allowed to stretch beyond the rear of the board, that could allow the board to roll over, twisting the handle.  I know my hand wouldn't like that, but I'm just guessing.

You are correct - this can happen if the handle stretches enough and the wave creates sufficient turbulence to flip the board.

It happened to me in some strong white wash about two weeks after I'd put on the tail handle. Also, when the handle stretches beyond the tail, your fingers can get jammed between the stretched/rebounding handle and the board. I have a swallow tail, which could really jam your fingers. I may mount something with less stretch - using a da kine kite heel strap right now and it's pretty stretchy.

The lessons I've taken are, use with caution in more powerful surf, grip lightly and don't be afraid/be ready to let the board go after diminishing the initial pull. The handle is an aid, not a lifesaver. In surf where getting creamed is a possibility, always avoid having anyone behind you (inside) that could get nailed if things go wrong.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
I'm trying to understand how these handles work.

Assuming the board is pointing toward the beach and you are holding the handle with one hand, how do you avoid having your face or body slammed into the board when the wave hits you from behind?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Shoals, I'm not an expert but I've used a tail handle for a few months. I hold on with the board to the inside of me and slightly off to the side. Key seems to be pushing down on the tail when the wave hits you. Sinking the tail pops you up. I've not been pushed into the board yet. I think because of the board's shape, mass and buoyancy, compared to a person's, it is more likely to be pushed away from you.

As has been pointed out on this forum, using one of these handles is an aid in some kinds of situations. If you're caught inside on a breaking top-to-bottom wave, I don't think you want your board anywhere near you because the wave is going to have it's own way with you. These things work as a control aid in white water or an additional, easy place to grab your board after a fall. They are no substitute for hopefully good judgement. ;)

I just mounted one on my downwind 16' board which I would not be intentionally surfing in larger, breaking waves. I think it would give you one more spot to grab before your board gets away (attached only by the leash) in a fall situation or, if caught during a reef crossing or perhaps when landing in shore break. Really will need caution using with an even larger board.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:40:44 AM by covesurfer »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
I'm trying to understand how these handles work. . .
Assuming the board is pointing toward the beach and you are holding the handle with one hand, how do you avoid having your face or body slammed into the board when the wave hits you from behind?
See the video I posted here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19080.msg187968#msg187968

Similar to Covesurfer the technique I have been using is to grab the handle and then sink the tail with my shoulder, arms tucked.  Ideally the nose is pointed up ~ 15 degrees and towards the shore.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER LET YOUR ARM GO STRAIGHT or you will risk dislocating your shoulder (I know).  When / if there is enough pressure to straighten your arm let go.

The Hawaiians have more experience but The board has never jumped back at me.  The physics just don't work that way your body is like a stone and the board is a cork.  The wave washes over you and then pulls like hell on the board.

In the video above you will see that the handle can twist and my fingers do not get locked.  When the handle recovers there isn't enough force to really lock my hand to the board.

Another benefit I have found is that when in the water above a cresting wave the board can actually be lifted and thrown OUT TO SEA.  I have had this happen and was thankful I was holding the handle to help tame the otherwise flying 10 ft epoxy bomb.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:30:52 AM by Beasho »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
Tuna,  I thought about your idea.  I learned never to totally dismiss anything. ..except maybe trading life for 72 virgins.

These two seemed to hold promise: 5/8s and 3/4".  I totally dismissed 3/4, 3-ply twisted as it seems waay too slippery.  At that, the 3/4 braided knot seems to provide enough 'back stop' and grip circumference.  I foresee the 5/8 blowing right thru your best grip.  As it is, with enough forward thrust, I cannot see myself holding onto anything where the first line of resistance is my little finger when my hand is at a diagonal. ...Paaa'ting!  A rope tail like this could eliminate the spiraling-board issue.

The real deal killer (forgetting anybody willing to accept drag hanging off the tail ) was attaching the board end of the rope to your leash or leash plug.  I quit thinking about it when Rube Goldberg started whispering in my ear. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
I apologize for 1) Raw Video 2) Bad Hair 3) GoPro making waves look smaller than they were.

That said this video should highlight Several Advantages of The Tail Handle starting with the fact that with the tail handle I was able to control the board AND film at the same time.

1. The first wave was simply too big for anything but a vertical ‘pencil dive’ retreat.  
  Note the recovery time which was very short partially because I was wearing flotation and I was pulled back to the surface by my waist leash.

2.  I retrieve the board and grab the tail only to have the wind whip up the unbroken face and attempt to launch the board like a missile out to sea.

3.  3rd Wave example:  I was held down, and winded.  You will hear me say “Swallowed  . . lots of water” then I retrieve the board grab the handle and take the hit.  In the end I was happy to be close to the surface and breathing at the end of the set.

4.  The last wave is a cleaner demonstration of the technique.  The wave never breaks but the video more clearly shows how I load up the tail and then brace for impact.

PS: If video doesn't work it is because I am updating it.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:28:25 AM by Beasho »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2014, 05:34:14 AM »
I was out in some waist high surf yesterday. I tried pushing down on the tail while holding the kick pad and it worked great. The board stayed right there with me every time.

I'm going to put handles on all my boards. I just don't know which type of handle design to go with.

I might try Beashos stretchy handle idea but I'm not sure I completely understand the advantage of that. In any case, the length of stretch would be easy enough to adjust and seems better than something with no give.

What's the best thing to use for the actual handle itself?

I've read everything here but if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to suggestions.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:37:16 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Mr.413

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »
My permanent $50 solution to the $15 tail handle. Installed two additional leash plugs. Tied the Surf Co. handle with "Spectra" kite line. For me, the tail handle is VERY important to avoid mayhem in crowded days. I use it in 2'-5' days. Also use "Spectra" line as leash string (yes, I will tape it).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
Just curious if anyone else has tried this. What if you just tied a piece of rope to the same cord that the leash attaches to. It would hang behind the tail about 8-10 inches with a knot on the end.    It would be easy to grab and nothing to pinch if the board twists.  Maybe soemthing like 5/8" or 3/4" diameter.

Not a good idea. I did that at first, in fact Sam and I got into an online pissing match over it, until the rope I was using wrapped around my fingers and almost de-gloved them. It tore and displaced the muscle towards the tips of my fingers on my right hand. Not pretty. I apologized profusely to Sam and switched to handles. Never had a problem with them.

The only time I've wished I wasn't holding on was in a DOH pitching wave breaking top to bottom. The board hit my chest a little as it was going vertical downwards. I don't think it made much difference, at one point in the rinse cycle I could see the board underneath me, down on the reef.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Gaucho

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
I added bail handles to my surf sups and they are very handy to have when caught inside.  Used the glue-on straps from Surfco....same setup on my L41 Simsup and 9' Lopez.  Great to be able to control the board and save the leash

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
That rope will take meat with it when it goes. Listen to Pono.

Also, take a look at my posts and close those leash loops down. Don't need any more "Strand Lepers" on this board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal