Author Topic: My prediction for board length.  (Read 17841 times)

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
My prediction for board length.
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:52 AM »
My boards for the past three years or so have been 9' x 29", which I considered to be a perfect board.  Four months ago I got a 7'4" x 33.5.  I can't stand my old boards anymore, they are so limiting.  The production market is generally so far behind (with some exceptions).  I predict that within a year, everyone who is serious about their surfing will be on sub-8 foot boards.  What do you think?
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: My prediction for board length.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
Depends on where you surf.  The short/ wide boards are great for smaller waves but not so good on bigger waves in my experience.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Too broad a statement. It's all too personal. Someone 5' 120 lbs may be sub 7', another 6'6" 280 and just as serious might be very happy sub 10'. I would agree if you changed it to say that anyone serious about their surfing will want to go as short as possible for their body type. Also depends on the type of surfing you do.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
This is an interesting topic that I've spent some time thinking about.  I find there is a "dead-zone" in board size for myself...probably true for everyone to some degree.  It of course changes with skill, so one person'e dead-zone won't match another's, even if they are the same body size. 
I love 8' surf SUPs around 29"-30" wide.  I also like to surf longer boards, 11' or more.  Very different styles, and although superficially akin to short board vs. longboard, its not quite the same thing.  On both I can do things short boarders and longboarders can't do. 
9-10' boards don't do it for me anymore though.  I either want to hang inside and turn on a dime, or paddle waaaaayyyyy outside, like 50-75 yards outside, and catch ridiculous, non-existent windswell.  Basically surfing invisible waves. 

I think you are right that the trend will be towards shorter and shorter boards, but as I have become a bigger fan of short, I have also had some of my best sessions ever on my 12' x 28.5" Bic Ocean, basically a pocket downwind shape. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
+1 raf.  Horses for courses.

While I am in the 88-92 liter world for my everyday sup surfing, I LOVE riding swell on a 14, or 18... And am looking at a custom 11-12 foot super surf able explorer... Cuz sometimes I just wanna venture.

That's why this stuff is so darned fun!

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »
It's just much harder to match board to rider when you start looking for the absolute lowest volume for size /weight and then consider the X factor of ability or athleticism.   That's why the custom guys are serving the majority of this segment. 

We just need to get away from the prone way of board designing where you increase length for each progressive size-  An 8' x 31 that comes in 4" / 4.25" / 4.5"  would be a better assortment of sizes in a surf shape than the same shape in 8' / 8'6 / 9'... 
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
the idea that there is an ideal board length for paddle surfing is ridiculous. There are many serious surfers out there that have a 9' nose rider, a 8' gun and 6' shortboard or three.  Sup'rs are no different. I also disagree you need to go as small as you can for 'performance' as you can lose the things that make paddlesurfing great ie. the ability to patrol around for waves, get in early etc.  thats just me though.   ;)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
This post exemplifies why SUP is so attractive to boardmakers.  The variety needed to keep everyone happy in all types of conditions and uses is nearly endless.  I used to use my old Dewey Weber stylist in virtually all types of conditions but SUP has me looking for more arrows in the quiver.

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
the idea that there is an ideal board length for paddle surfing is ridiculous. There are many serious surfers out there that have a 9' nose rider, a 8' gun and 6' shortboard or three.  Sup'rs are no different. I also disagree you need to go as small as you can for 'performance' as you can lose the things that make paddlesurfing great ie. the ability to patrol around for waves, get in early etc.  thats just me though.   ;)
I agree with DownwindDave...Shorter does not necessarily mean better. We have a trend here towards shorter and shorter boards but I can honestly say that very few of those moving down actually ride the boards much better...a lot of jerky, inconsistent yet sometimes flashy maneuvers , that often become repetitive and boring......and in exchange a real lack of glide,noseriding and style. It's almost like they are trying to will the SUP to be a short prone board....something the physical realities will always prevent..(so, if THATS WHAT people really strive for why not just prone surf??).....FORTUNATELY the great thing about SUPing....is that THERE'S SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE!!!   

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
I had the length debate settled by the early 70's

sort of...I always loved longboards... and refused to give them up..

Since then... short as I can... and long as well.

My next board... when I can afford it.... will be a SUP of the longboard variety.

I am already looking at some vids on my mega SUP... and missing it sometimes. :-\

and... yes... that is my "Black Cat" ... Hobie Mickey Dora "da Cat"
If I still had that board... I could get 2 or 3 new SUPs :'(

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
I really think it will settle down to the same lengths as in prone surfing:

- People having learned the ShortSUP technique will use the same length as they would use for prone surfing: 5'10" to 6'10" depending on their body weight, size, age... (6'8" for me)
- Longboarders will have ... longboard-like shapes: 9' to 12'
- Most people would have both in their quiver
- casual users will have either "funboard" surfing shapes (8'6" to 9'6") stable semi pointed nose with a bit of front rocker (like a lot of boards today), or "touring" 12'6" boards stable enough for chop and surfing mellow waves.
- Some passionate people will also have fun weird shapes in their quiver: 5'0 mini simmons, 7'6" brewer guns, 16' gliders, retro replicas, alaias, OLOs, ...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:03:39 AM by colas »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 02:39:47 AM »
I really think it will settle down to the same lengths as in prone surfing:

- People having learned the ShortSUP technique will use the same length as they would use for prone surfing: 5'10" to 6'10" depending on their body weight, size, age... (6'8" for me)
- Longboarders will have ... longboard-like shapes: 9' to 12'
- Most people would have both in their quiver
- casual users will have either "funboard" surfing shapes (8'6" to 9'6") stable semi pointed nose with a bit of front rocker (like a lot of boards today), or "touring" 12'6" boards stable enough for chop and surfing mellow waves.
- Some passionate people will also have fun weird shapes in their quiver: 5'0 mini simmons, 7'6" brewer guns, 16' gliders, retro replicas, alaias, OLOs, ...

Think you may have nailed it there but you missed one important thing....they should all have a Gong in their quiver ;D

These things probably go in cycles.....long then short then longer again. Everthing gets shorter and fatter...then folk miss the glide and go back. You need one or two of each.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:58:49 AM by coldsup »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
Going ultra short and wide is fun, but they start to surf different. The most radical and highest performance shortboard SUP I've created is still the one that maintained a real shortboard in aspect ratio. This is my 7'8 shape. A blown-up real shortboard. 90 liters and the fastest board on the water (around here)

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
+2 RAF!
I like to ride everything. Having access to a range of boards is a plus, too, though. I've gone from learning on an 11'2, to stepping it down to a 9'6 (Wow, when that happened, I never knew fast was possible).
Then it was back up to a 10, then down to a 9, and then all the way down to an 8'er. I've pretty much gone through all the "emotions" of wave SUP, and am most stoked when I'm on the board I bring to the beach, whatever that is.
But for longboardy-style in flat to waist, I'm loving my 11'6 Cruiser right now. When it's waist to head and clean, the 8'er is awesome. When it's waist+ and variable, my go-to board is my 9'er.
So, ya, having a few boards for the changing conditions is probably the "best prediction"!

And I still love my 10' longboard, 9' performance lb, and 6'4 fish for when I want to really switch it up and go prone

Now please send some waves to NH~~~!!!Pretty please!!!!~~~

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
I like all the responses, especially COLAS.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill