Author Topic: Blair SC8.10 & SC8.11  (Read 3336 times)

Midlife

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Blair SC8.10 & SC8.11
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »
Hi,

Requesting any feedback (performance, durability, etc.) on these two Blair boards.  Did a search and found some older reviews but nothing current.

The SC8.10 is 8’10” x 31.5” x 4 5/8” and the SC8.11 is 8’10” x 30” x 4.5”.

I am 45 years old, 5’10” and 190 pounds.  I am currently on a 9’ x 34” x 5” board.  Been doing this sport for about a year and would consider my skill level to be an advanced beginner.   I mostly surf at Bolsa or Doho. 

I contacted Joe and will be demoing these two boards in the next few months but I was wondering if any Zoners out there have reviews/comments they would like to share.

Thanks!

MB Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Blair SC8.10 & SC8.11
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:42 AM »
I got an SC 8.10 (31.5" wide) in March, 2012.  I'm a big fan of both Joe Blair and the board.

I'm 6'3, 195lbs and 57 yrs old. I don't have the greatest balance but find this board very stable.  I had a Paddle Surf Hawaii 9'6" wide ripper that was too twitchy for me, especially on front back movement (from the PSH's pulled in nose and tail).  But, I have no trouble with the Blair on side or front/back chop.

I surf a beach break in the South Bay and the Blair is fast enough to catch quick close outs and turns well enough to pull out of a wave.  Some people feel its too wide to really rip on, but I not a good enough surfer to find any handling deficiencies.

I never tried the narrower board.  And, durability has been as good as my PSH boards.

ny37

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
I have had the 8' 11"x30" for about a year, at the time it was his smallest production board, I think it still is.

I am 175lbs, intemediate, east coast. I like it, durability has been good so far. It is my only board so I ride it from 1ft to 6ft+ works good.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
what is the board you own now?  Joe makes good boards,
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Midlife

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
MB & ny37,

I really appreciate the feedback.  My first thought was to go with the 31.5" but now I am leaning toward the 30" wide board.  It will depend on the demo. 

Outside,

I am currently on a South County 9'er.

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
Hi
I can chip in my 2 cents on both boards. First,the 8'10 is the one i use.I am 5'9,175lbs and this board was a size reduction to use in surf. Joe figures it is approx. 151L,which is more relative to size than length or width.I'm from a windsurfing background so that's why i say that. Before the Blair i had only been on 175L or bigger(10' plus).
I have found it to be a great but challenging board for my skill set. I live in Vancouver BC. Since i got it i have 2 weeks surfing at Sano in August(small to mid size waves) and just returned from Maui,2 weeks(small to overhead+).I was able to progress with this size and will most likely need lots more TOB(time on board) before i want something smaller. I caught lots of small waves and held my own in the bigger waves,in choppy,windy conditions.Cannot comment on maneuverability as drop and climb down the line is the best i've got.The board feels very stable going fast.
My wife has the 8'1,approx.141L according to Joe. (these are the #s i remember but may be off a bit) . She had only used larger boards prior also.At 5'7,125lbs the board is much  bigger than she will need,sooner than later. Her progression from Sano to Maui was similar to mine although she was way more stable in the wind and chop in Hawaii. Fortunately we live in a beach community and are able to get on the water to practice turns and balance when not in the surf.
Both of these boards have taken some hard shots and have survived with only dents and paint chips.Very durable and in some ways more important than high performance at our ability.
We met Joe at his shop last summer and he is a great guy.We have met many people that have or has had a Blair board (short,long,windsurf,sup) and all had good things to say.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:56:34 AM »
Kazo,  I have a great recommendation for you based off of my good friends recent experience.  He too reduced from the SOCO 9er and wanted something stable but more smiles per wave.  He is also close to your weight, about 5 lbs more than you and taller.  The 9er is super stable and fun but at your weight and height you could go much smaller.  The 9er makes us big guys (over 200) look good on the waves, but when you drop down to your weight it is too stable.  My buddy tried the Blair 8.10 and thought it was not as fun as the 9er. Then he tried my SOCO 8.11 Blue Dragon and thought it was much faster but still too stable. He was looking for something that felt fast and turned like a short board.  Then he got the SOCO 8.6 Black Dragon and 130l of volume fit him just right.  Plenty stable and many more smiles per wave.  He tried several other boards but not any that he liked.  Also to note he can ride this and have fun in any type waves.  He has a only ride on perfect conditions board (uses twice a year and swims alot).   

So where you are located it would be a no brainer to get with John or Jesse at South County Surf and try out the 8.6 Black Dragon where you normally surf in DoHo.  My Buddy Mike swears by it, plus he beats the hell out of the rails and no chips or dents in the finish on the rails of the SOCO boards, 9er or 8.6 Black Dragon.  A little auto polish and the rails come back to new from black mark paddle strikes.  You should have seen his c4 it looked like a rat had chewed up the rails (it cost him $220 to fix it just to sell it).

Hope this helps and hope you find the board you like.

Midlife

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
littleray,

Thanks for your .02 cents, great feedback.  Nice life, two weeks surfing sano then another two weeks on Maui, very cool.  Thanks for the approximate volumes of the two boards.  I would guess at my weight (190 lbs) and my skill level (advanced beginner) I would be looking for a board in the 140 to 150 liter range, so both boards should work just fine.  I understand “time on board” is an important part of the process and will determine progression.  Good to hear about the durability.  Thanks again.

MD,

I have talked to John about the SOCO 8.11, I love my 9’er and it was a great board to learn on but now I want something a bit more maneuverable.  I also talked to John about the 8’6” but he doesn’t have any in stock.  The durability on the SOCO boards is amazing during the learning/falling process I have beat up my 9’er and it still looks great.  Thanks.

txsupman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
I tried the SC8.10 last summer while in Cardiff and loved the board.  Ordered one when I got back to Galveston.  I'm 160# so the 8.10 is floaty but good in the slow mushy waves we have here.  The 8.11 might be a better fit given your location.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal