Author Topic: Tahoe Rubicon this week  (Read 3673 times)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Tahoe Rubicon this week
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:51 AM »
It was this kind of a day

our usual annotated map

Most of the day we had at least one sun dog, and some times two

Once again I was the sole board.  Because of the kayakers that did sign up, and the boarders that did not, they canceled the board trip and invited me privately, saying I would not slow the kayaks down.

Flanked my my patrons Karen and Deke, the Rubicon is actually Karen's.

as the map shows the creek goes from a wide shallow tidal estuary to a narrow quickly flowing stream I managed to work my way up some "rapids"  formed by fallen trees and gravel shoals, some with clear elevation changes, but got stopped short, but with in sight of the Rt225 bridge, by a pair of trees about 5' apart, one up stream from the other that required an elevation change, a 90 degree turn, 5-10' cross current traverse, then another 90 degree turn another elevation change while moving to the extreme front of the board to trim the fin up enough to cross the last tree.  I just could not change sides fast enough to get it all done. I think this is the narrowest I have a picture of, but it gets a lot narrower as it enters the woods.

There were lots of moments of pure glass

So the Rubicon, not quite as stable as the Wing, a little harder to bury the nose in the bow wave then the Wing, does not seem to have the "high speed" glide of my Kaholo, but by far the best of the three in the narrow creek because of its ability to turn.  I think I am starting to feel the difference between hull speed limitations and drag limitations.  It is really hard to make a board go faster when it's bow is buried in the water.
Obfuscation through elucidation

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tahoe Rubicon this week
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
Serene moments... thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal