Author Topic: CUSTUM PADDLES ??????  (Read 33490 times)

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTUM PADDLES ??????
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
Thanks Nick.
Your setups are mind bending in their efficiency and simplicity.
Alot of " holy shit, why didnt i think of that?" moments here.
Thank you so much for sharing.
You have a brilliant mind my man, keep up the great work!

NLCHAWAII

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Loosehead - A follow up on that one blade I had shown with the collar . After a light sanding to knock the high spots down , I can add silkscreened laminant graphics and a 4oz burn layer of glass I use as a hotcoat layer . I use the glass because it will hold a certain thickness of resin over my graphics and help curb pin holes and helps to cap everything together . If I laminate the glass wet enough I don't need to brush an additional layer of resin on but if the surface is uneven enough , I have to . The glass gives a nice tell when sanding over graphics as you can gauge your sanding depth on the exposed weave pattern of the sanded glass and have a rough idea when your gonna burn into your graphics .

Once I get both sides of the blade done , I can sand out the entire paddle . I like using a variable speed 5" mini grinder and a 6" FLEX pad . Those flex pads are a dream over the older power pads with the metal in them . My favorite sander is a Makita with tons of low rpm torque . Small enough to hold with one hand most of the time , but if I have a helping hand to hold the paddle in place , I can sand thru maybe a dozen in a day before I gas out . Sanding is alot of work and burns my arms and hands up quickly if I don't have plenty of fresh paper on hand .

After sanding , I like to wipe a thickened layer of epoxy on the shaft as a finish and for the blade , I'll wipe a very thin layer of epoxy on to seal and fill some of the sanding marks and exposed bubbles during sanding .

After those layers cure , I'll spray a layer of lacquer on the blade . I like a particular brand of lacquer because its very fast drying , very locally available , and gives me minimal problems down the line . Once the lacquer drys and the handle is glued on , its ready for the water .
   Bill , great alternative idea for vac bagging supply materials . Always gotta think out of the box when availability or funds are an issue . And I need to stop and take a moment to say what a very great direction to take the Ke Nalu product line with the component idea where customers can assemble and disassemble themselves and mix and match . Way cool !
   Robert - thank you for the comment and always taking the time when I see you at the market or when I drop by the store . Harold Iggy always stopped what he was doing and made the time too ! Thank you again .
   I got a PM that focussed on the size of the collars I use on my paddles , and it made me realize that one of my previous comments was understated . On the issue of blade flex , I would have to say that  the size or length of the collar on BOTH sides of the blade contribute to the stiffness or flex of the blade . It helps to give it a personality if you will . 1/4" Williwilli wood shaved to a taper with a few carbon hairs and a few layers of 4oz glass is rather TOO flexy , week and soft . Its the collar - used with these particular ingredients that gives a useful design . There are arguably a 1000 ways to make a blade and I've shown how after several hundred tries using the same general ingredients each time , that I've gotten predictable and consistent results . If I were to change the core material , I'd have to start over again with how much glass to use and what size collars would work for THAT core materials stiffness and strength . Person in the PM , I hope that answer addresses your issue or point . And if it doesn't , well ... send me another PM . I'll figure out what to say eventually .

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
For a very inspiring earlier thread, visit http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=12649.0

Keep 'em coming!

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »
hey nic i was able to find a frig motor at the recycler down here in puerto but i`m a little confused about the wiring and start sequence.do you have some kinds start switch connected to the motor?any foto`s would help,thanks again

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Hey, I saw one of your paddles at Kanaha yesterday--much better looking in person than even the pictures show. Pure art. Congratulations on a beautiful product. I was amazed at how light you are able to get it. I'm going to get a few from you. Ponohouse needs one of these on the wall next to my Malama and Bob's lovely but unusable torture instrument. And it will be fun to surf with one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NLCHAWAII

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
Loosehead - as for the fridge motor wiring , it's been my experience that all of them run on 110V with no step down in voltage . So the wires going into the motor can be replaced ( following safe electrical workmanship practices ) with a wire with a wall plug . I have my fridge motor wired into a swimming pool motor time clock . This allows me to start a vac bag session and walk away knowing that the motor will be turned off after a predetermined period of time . Don't be shy to cruise Google for various setup options on this rig . Live and die by the all knowing Google . I should comment on the fridge motor that it's a metal container holding a bath of oil and the motor inside . On the out side you should find a small box of some sort , where the wires go in . That box is an integral part of the design .
   Bill - wow , thank you . Ya , despite my photography experience , I've never been able to figure out how to photograph a paddle . You can't show the whole thing and still see the detail . I've twisted my head on this for three years now . But thank you , what a nice compliment !
   In the spirit of the original idea of this thread , I wanted to highlight what a great adjustable system Kialoa has and at a great price point too . I'll get calls at times from folks looking for something the whole family can use . They just got a board for the family to share and are now looking for a paddle . Unless their very specific in what they want , I'll generally steer them towards a Kialoa adjustable .
   I have a shaft making post coming up soon , so stay tuned . Aloha

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:16 AM »
thanks nic.i have found lots of good help on google.i`m just a little confused with the wiring.there are four wires coming out and apparently most motors have a starter that kicks in then shuts off like a car starter.so i`m trying to figure out where to run my power into.still researching it but no firm answers yet

NLCHAWAII

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response . I got busy and then I got the flu . My temp is currently 101.2 . This seasons flu is an early death , but I'm still trying to pretend that I have a bit of life left . Uugh .
   Loosehead , I need some pictures and perhaps a model # to help you with the wiring on your vac system .
   Got a nice visit from Bill and his wife here at the humble shop . It was great to meet you guys and talk shop for a bit . Thank you for taking the time . The door is open to anyone that would like to visit . Just be forewarned that once you get me talking , it can take awhile to get me to quiet down ! Ha .
   Okay , I mentioned that I'd show more on shaft spinning . This is a start on what I consider saft spinning . As previously mentioned , I've done the manual method and then graduated to the noisy ice cream  maker mounted sideways . Now I'm using the all awesome kitchen mixer by KITCHEN AID . It's variable speed and torquey to boot . I've built a number of attachments for various tasks . The TOW fiber attachments are what are pictured below . They allow me to use carbon or glass thread/tow to create a shaft . In these TOW shaft mandrel ends I chose 24 pegs or nails because 24 is divisible by 2,3,4,6,8&12 . Or in other words ... it gives me several options when deciding on how to load a shaft with fibers .

I can then choose to add fibers straight end to end for stiffness or at a spiraling angle for more flex ! Pictured below are fibers run straight end to end and a simply overhand knot used near each end to help  bring the fibers down to the mandrel . There is much more info to present , this is just a start to the subject !

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »
so are you adding the tow strips directly to the fiberglass wrapped shaft you start with?i tried to attch some foto`s of my pump but my internet here is not so good but i`ll try again

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »
Karl - I generally stick to a certain size collar and glassing over a blade . It's been my stock , goto , baseline that I start with . If I need more or less stiffness in a blade - My first response is to change the thickness of the core wood that I'm using . My next option is how much carbon tow I'll add to both sides of the blade . For surf blades I'll add five strands of 12K tow per blade side and generally for race blades , I'll add seven 12K strands of tow per side . That , my collars and two layers of 4 oz glass per side has been suiting me well for a while now . I look forward to seeing your project . Get those picks posted when you can .

Here's those pics - I think your process is much quicker than mine..

First I cut two bamboo blades, shaped an XPS spine, then vacuumed the lot with two layers of 4oz and about 5oz carbon fibre the length of the spine, and wrapped around the part that goes into the paddle tube.

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »
Then I vacuumed a layer of 4oz on both side, light fill coat, sand and spray finish with gloss poly in a can.

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
The handle is made from laminating several pieces of paulownia venetian blinds. The shaft is a carbon/kevlar blend I got as a factory second.

All up its  not quite as stiff as I wanted, but it is very light - about 560 gms/19.7 oz. I've also got a full carbon shaft so the next one should be about right.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal