Author Topic: Better Paddle For Me???  (Read 3875 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Better Paddle For Me???
« on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:46 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on which size paddle might be better for me? The paddle I’m looking at is the Werner Grand Prix and I am thinking of either the “M (medium)” or “S (small)”. The blade on the Grand Prix “S” is 91 sq. inches and the blade on the Grand Prix “M” is 98 sq. inches.

I’m currently using a 3 piece, adjustable, Werner Nitro which is 97 sq. inches. I will keep this paddle for when we travel, but I’m thinking I would like to get something which is not adjustable, just the straight shaft, and the lighter weight would also be nice. I’ve also noticed that I do get sore elbows at times when I paddle. Not sure if this is related to technique or maybe the blade on the Nitro is too large for me??? Just not sure.

Most of my paddling is flat water on a lake, although the wind does blow up so I also go out in wind and waves. I’m 62 years old and in decent shape. I don’t do any competitive racing, but once in a while go in some “fun” races that are organized on our local lake. Also do some touring and just paddling for fun. I have a 12’ 6” x 30” Red Inflatable but recently bought a hard board that measure 12’ 6” x 29” and that has become my go to board.

Should also say I’m male, 5’ 8” tall and weigh about 150 pounds.

I haven’t demo’d either paddle yet, and will definitely do so before I buy, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Thanks so much.

Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Better Paddle For Me???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
 If you want to go with Werner you should wait for September 1st, the have a whole new lineup with a paddle just for you... The all new Grand Prix 86. This should be just what you need. You can even try it
with the small fit shaft, if you ever felt you can go with a smaller lighter shaft.

The other thing with this new model is they changed the blade angle to 10, so it should probably be even a smoother entry.

The other paddle I would recommend for you is the QuickBlade Trifecta 86, it has much of the same attributes of the Grand Prix but feels a little Different. This one has more shaft and handle choices than the Werner as far as I know. I would recommend trying the oval tapered shaft option, I really dig it. as for the handle, QuickBlade has a very nice eva wrapped handle that is just sweet, I would recommend testing it as well.

Either way, you can go wrong here.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks so much. I knew Werner was doing away with the Nitro and making some other changes to their lineup, but I didn't know they were making changes to the Grand Prix. I'll definitely check out the new ones. I'll also check out the Quickblade. Thanks again.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
I have the Grand Prix S with small shaft and like it a lot.  The smaller shaft has a bit more flex, that's one reason I got it.

It's a very powerful blade so I'd stay away from the M at your weight. I'm 165 and the S has more than enough catch for me, the new smaller one sound intriguing.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
Thanks Fog City. I've been wondering if my paddle blade is a bit too large for me, and from the opinions here it sounds like it is. I'm also curious as to why you would want flex in your paddle shaft?
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:51:24 AM »
The flex in the shaft is there to relief the stress from your body and help prevent fatigue.
Especially on a longer rides, or very intensive workout sessions.

In long run it will help preventing injuries, especially on the beginner level where technic errors
are more likely to happen.

Other common beginner errors usually happens on the equipment level, usually because of
unqualified instructors/sales people, for example:

I was initially sold a Werner Soul M (100Si !!!) 80inch length and I'm 5.8/175.
Makes you wonder sometimes who qualifies those idiots.

For comparison, after much testing, today I usually use an 85/86si blade on a 77inch paddle.
sometimes when I do some power training, I use my 90/91 paddles.

If I was to recommend you a paddle at the beginning, I would put you on a 77 or
78inch length (think less stress on the back with a slight more upright position)
Either the Nitro S or the Grand Prix S1000.

In the case of the Grand Prix S1000 (since it's a 91si) I would tell you at the beginning (based on Werner's own advise) NOT to sink the blade all the way but leave an inch out to simulate a smaller paddle
size. That way you have the choice to play with how much bend you have in your back or how much blade you want in the water as the Grand Prix is an High Aspect paddle and its power face is towards the bottom of the blade.

I would probably give you the Grand Prix as it is so much lighter (15oz compare to your 23oz)
which translates to a much better experience all around.
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
Thanks so much for your response. As I mentioned I am currently using a Nito M, adjustable. I originally had the length set for about 76” but was getting a sore shoulder. It was suggested that I shorten the length of the paddle, so now I have it set to as low as it will go, and the paddle length measures 74”. It has helped my shoulder using this length and so far at least, I find it a fairly comfortable length. I have actually thought of going even a bit shorter. I do think however, given my weight of 150 pounds that there might be too much blade for me, so I will definitely be looking at a smaller blade size. And going lighter would also be nice.

Thanks again for the response.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal