Author Topic: "Zoner of the Year"  (Read 9658 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
"Zoner of the Year"
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »
So, after all the cool things that have happened, and will continue to happen....  We've made new friendships, travelled w/ them, surfed w/ them, paddled w/ them, sold stuff to them, bought stuff from them, PM'd them, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

Who would you like to nominate as the "Zoner of the Year"?  

Not only for 2012....hopefully this is a thread that will continue to be updated based on the good experiences we all have w/ each other...and continue into the future.  Who has gone above and beyond to "share the stoke"?  

Obviously, nobody will ever really "win", but who has embodied the "spirit" of the Zone for you?

I'll start w/ a few that I would nominate based on my very limited field of vision...:

1 - StoneAxe - CCBC, and all the work he has put into a great cause
2 - SUPtheCreek - he is stoked about SUP, plain and simple, love the pics...and this was his first year!!
3-  DJ - always giving us the latest and greatest in reviews and sick DW vids, truly bringing a worldwide perspective to the Zone
4-  PonoBill - gave us a GREAT paddle and always seems to be ready to share the stoke...not only about SUP, but about life in general

How bout you guys ??
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:39:40 PM by crtraveler »
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Zoner of the Year"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
+1 on the 4 way tie!

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »
All are great contributors.  As a long time surfer and first time SUPr I would vote for DJ.  Not only are his videos always, fun and really informative but I pm'd him a few times and his responses are always thoughtful.  I believe he embodies the feeling of stoke.  A bit like the lo fi Bruce Brown only in HD. 

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
I would agree with all those above and add in the leptastic Strand Leper, always has well written posts, great descriptions of his sessions, pushing the envelope on the short SUBs, and a generous contributor to the Classifieds sections,  but, most importantly he scored some extra browny points with me by putting together a clothing drive out in Cali and arranging the shipment with Imagine Surf for those affected by storm Sandy, I personally gave out clothing to the community centers in my area and watched how grateful the people were for the donations. so maybe a 5 way tie, I also think a sleeper would be Larry Allison for all his finsight!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
That's my vote too, DJ makes a crazy effort and shares one hell of a talent with us. My primary talent is that I type faster than I think. Bob makes one hell of a contribution, but it's not so much to the Zone as it is to the SUP world in New England and the kids at Christopher's Haven. I'd still vote for him, but he's my brother and I'm a lot better at giving him shit than giving him credit. Sup the Creek--great stuff, but DJ's contributions have always been something special.

So for me it's DJ. With a big second for the Lepster, though I do think it was incredibly irresponsible for him to show up late at my sparsely attended BOP party with a bunch of good wine that needed to be consumed. I was doing well and behaving myself until he showed up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:31:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the love, nice way to start the new year!… I can’t tell you how many times I cringe after I hit the “Post” button….Pono has my favorite line “My primary talent is that I type faster than I think” … he summed me up pretty well with that one.

I’m upping the count a bit…I honestly don’t have favorites… every post is a gem.
Here’s 10 or 11… but there’s 100’s more

Stoneaxe is the ZoneKing… bigger than life and lives it everyday. He tells it like it is.
Kiku for putting the “Sista’s” in the spotlight… more girls contributing is awesome.
Easy Rider and the Great Lakes crew for stoking us on Mall & Lake surfing!!!
Colas – for giving “Short SUP” a new meaning with his vids.
Celeste & Pono for most amazing range of knowledge and diversity of interests. (and Pono’s open Zoner invitation to the “Pre-BOP”)
The Leper for offering free legal to any SUP busted for surfing in the prone zone… and a whole bunch of other goodies, on and off the water.
Socal & pdx for best wit… funny guys that contribute a ton of stoke & knowledge
D.J. for camera contraption guy of the year… I loved the camera “Faceplant” into the piling! But seriously… I have a better appreciation of DWing now… & bike riding.

If great threads are a qualifier – BigDong is “Rookie of the Year”

Note: I miss the youngster from Fla… what the heck is his name????
We need more young SUPsters, if they can put up with all the oldies here.

But the bottom line is… I love this place and everyone in it.
I have met up with a lot of Zoners, and they are all, just as great in person.

Event of the year? CCBC

I am really happiest when I see a guest turn into a member.

Happy New Year!

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:28 AM »
1) DJ

Even better in person. I know first-hand how much pleasure he takes in bringing noobs along, the man is supremely patient and relentlessly encouraging. I've got a pretty good idea of how much time and effort goes into the vids that he does for everyone to share, and how much enjoys promoting and participating in the sport, all without a trace of ego or thought of self promotion. 6'5" of mellow stoke..gets my vote.  ;D
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:42:32 AM »
Reading these posts makes me smile and feel good inside.. Thanks.. But it's not about anyone being better than anyone else.. I'm lucky that I have the working hours and time to paddle, test boards, take pictures and make vids, and post them here.. It's because of my love of doing it and the appreciation i get from others that makes me do it.. and keep doing it.. You only live once and time passes so fast so I like to make each day count.. Working in a hospital also makes me appreciate my health and reminds me that you never know what tomorrow might bring.. More good health and good paddling with fiends I hope..  ;D

DJ

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »
Masters Div. PonoBill
Elite Div.       DJ
Wave Div.     Leper
Rec. Div.       Celeste
MVP Div.       Stoneaxe

Rookie of the Year:  SUPtheCreek

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
I was led to this place a few years ago in my quest to find....probably the perfect board for me. Some search for something (big guy, flatwater, fishing, etc) had a link to here. I have other interests but other than a small "local" fishing forum this is the only one I follow or participate in.

Some old guy with a race car and helmet and someone from down under got my attention quickly...along with a few others but those stick out the most. The videos this guy from Australia had were just too cool. Still are. The guy with the helmet, well...what a smart and funny dude to put it simply. Yeah Creek, that invite he did was way cool. (the recent surfer quiz......maybe they were saving the left side for you.)
My dumb questions were answered when I asked....in general or in a pm if I asked that way. No one ever made me feel dumb. I also learned....life lessons...(no, not the president or gun threads but from those too) from watching input from others and how to post input myself. 
I would have never thought of a shuttle for DW runs....how simple...how cool. Hell, figuring out people did DW came from my question about how to paddle into the wind if I remember right.
Leper, PDX, Socal, Headmount, Stoneaxe, Easyrider and others all come to mind too.
My input has been tolerated (seemingly so if nothing else) and I am glad to have found this place online.
Since I signed on I have noticed far more....you guys out in Hawaii doing your runs are fun to follow. You guys on the Great Lakes and your going out in downright brutal conditions is amazing. Lots and lots more for certain.
To borrow from Creek....Celeste and her range of knowledge and interests have intrigued me and many others I am sure.
SuptheCreek.....your passion and the way you share it and want to share it...may be unequalled.

Lots of great stuff here....and many great contributers...I know I have missed some...but those stick out. This is just a great place to check out and follow.
Oh yeah, that guy Admin has got a wit about him too......and will throw in some random things of interest at times.
I grew up near the ocean and have always regretted not learning to ride waves on a board when there. Being part of this and seeing what that is really all about.....I will learn to ride waves even with my gray hair.
Happy New Year to all. Live long and prosper.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:36 AM »
I would echo the above. 
Pono / Stone / DJ / Strand / PDX / SoCal and all the rest of you make this a great place for SUP.

Lets also not forget Admin - without him we got nothin'.

All the best to everyone in 2013. 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
Masters Div. PonoBill
Elite Div.       DJ
Wave Div.     Leper
Rec. Div.       Celeste
MVP Div.       Stoneaxe

Rookie of the Year:  SUPtheCreek

Great breakdown Weed-dig the divisions. your list gets my vote-tough call-lots of great peeps on the SUZ.
Happy doing anything and everything that brings you joy on the water Year everyone!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
DJ ... hands down.  Effort outside the Zone is applaudable but on the Zone, the effort to make videos for free is very significant.  Shooting is only the fun part.  Working time on the editing at a desk makes you cross eyed.

And I read for PDX

The Zone also allowed me to meet JC who is the coolest guy I've ever met.

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
Colegnar was the kid from Florida.  I think that Strand said he was grounded or not allowed to post or something.

I nominate everyone for putting up with me. ;D

Strand Leper for the most amazing business deal that I've ever been in.

Whoever created the Hot Chicks thread.

Celest, well, I can't get into it here.

SoCal, for making me feel like I'm not the only one wearing checkered Vans at my age.

Pono, for keeping my dreams alive.

All of the great lakes crew, we'll meet someday.

Admin, for giving me a place to hang out in when I should be doing something else. ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
I think I'd have to go with DJ, if for no other reason (although there are many more) than the amount of effort that goes into any post involving making a video.

I second everything everyone says about everyone else above.  I'd like to add some categories--here's a few but there should be many more:

--SEA--nutrition posts, informative and enthusiastic
--headmount--general perspective on life
--surfcowboy--still think he's got to be sitting cross-legged on a mountaintop in Nepal, sending down one insight after another
--Easy Rider--just plain weird that he's turning the middle of nowhere (or is it just north of that?) into a surfing destination
--gorgebob--deceptively simple posts contain wisdom disguised as casual comments
--LaPerouseBay--"Atlas" posts--the seasons change, everything changes, but LPB just keeps paddling, and never gets to where he's going--have seen him in dozens of videos but have never seen his face
--ProBoxLarry--love it when a manufacturer with so much knowledge shares it so graciously

I especially like hearing from people from other countries (Sweden, UK, etc. as well as ones you'd expect--Australia, New Zealand...) and from places you wouldn't expect in the U.S. (lucabrasi from the Rocky Mountains, etc.).  

And based on meeting Strand Leper on his visit to the NW, I bet everyone's even better to talk to in person.  Hope to get the chance to meet others...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:08:25 PM by pdxmike »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal