Author Topic: How fast is your 100m swim sprint?  (Read 3816 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How fast is your 100m swim sprint?
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Leashes sometime break and if you're doing a downwind run or surfing some wave with a long run, getting to the board quick before it makes that run will save you more grief.  In the case of DWnding ... a ton of grief.  And during this surf season, check ur leash for wear.  I just redid mine.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How fast is your 100m swim sprint?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
When I was swimming in college, it was sub minute.  Today, you could measure it with a sun dial.  I pity the board I use that doesn't have a leash attached.

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
Slatch... Ditto.  What was once a warm-up, is now a workout !

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
Sub minute in a pool  isn't the bar.  I'd say if you can cover the first 100 in rough water in around 2.5 minutes, you're good enough.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
Sub minute in a pool  isn't the bar.  I'd say if you can cover the first 100 in rough water in around 2.5 minutes, you're good enough.
Damn straight.  The bar is where I get a rum and coke.  After a few of those, I don't go near the water.   ;D

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:11 AM »
Good avice
Leashes sometime break and if you're doing a downwind run or surfing some wave with a long run, getting to the board quick before it makes that run will save you more grief.  In the case of DWnding ... a ton of grief.  And during this surf season, check ur leash for wear.  I just redid mine.

I've just about forgotten how important is this. Luckily, i haven't been tested with a broken leash yet.

Even so, a couple weeks ago, went for an "easy" swim by old standards (i swam open water distance regularly) to a boat, moored 200 m offshore....came back winded and broken.
Hmmm.... :-[
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:19:45 AM »
I've got to work on that. Swimming with a camelbak on is a bit rougher, but I wasn't about to dump mine when my leash broke two days ago. The flotation is much too valuable. I'm going to practice swimming with the thing, with a paddle hooked in the loop. A lot of crap dragging, but you might want it all if you have to go long.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
 Last summer went out  with 3 of my swimmer friends for a paddle.  Their 100m times are 53, 55 and 58.  The 55 was a guy in his 40s, and the 58 was female.  The best thing about paddling with them is that I can finally beat them in something.  Of course that's also why I don't invite them out too often. 

I do think the importance of swimming is overlooked for standup  It's amazing how poorly some people who paddle--even doing downwinders far from shore in tough conditions--can swim.   And just swimming lap after lap at a slow pace in the pool, like most people do, isn't going to be very helpful training for having to swim to a board quickly.  So your asking for sprint times makes a lot of sense. 

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
I have coached water polo for the past 6 years, and live on the Delta waterways between San Francisco and Sacramento.  Last year instead of starting practice at the high school pool.  I had them come to my house and we open water swam for conditioning the first 4 weeks of practice. Some of these kids are sub 50 second 100yd swimmers.  But wow, get them in the open water with no black line on the bottom and lane lines to keep you straight, they slow down very fast.  After the first few days, I asked them how far they thought they swam.  Guesses were in the 4,000 to 5,000yd range.  The actual distance was 2,500yds. When we got back in the pool, we had some time trials and everyone was putting up personal bests.  Where I live, we are tidal and the currents can get very strong.
There is a lot more to deal with in open water swimming.  We didn't even have to tackle any swells or wind, just current.
And for the record, out of 32 boys I was able to beat about 12.  Felt like I wanted to puke the first few days, but I didn't come in last.  During time trials in the pool, I actually swam a 58.35 in the 100 and then puked in the gutter of the pool.  The last time I swam for time was my last year of college in 1982. Best time then was a low 53.  I think my extra flotation is an advantage, as it gives me better attack angle in the water.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Usually the distance to fetch a runaway board is within 50.  But training for a 100 is wise.  I've been within a hand grip away from my board and it would keep pulling away ... just enough.  It's wild because you can put your head down for max speed but without looking you can slam your hand into the board pretty hard.  So I glance forward once in awhile.

Swimming in surf zones is particularly challenging and not being able to see is something to train for.  If you find that salt water torches your eyes like it does to some people, bringing a set of competitive goggles doesn't take up much space and weight.  Around your wrist like a Lance bracelet... call it sea strong if you like.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
I have never been on a DW, so... am I missing something?

You go pretty far offshore
The winds are strong enough to blow your board far away from you.
The seas are choppy and swells can be big.
100 yard speed doesn't mean much, if you can't see your board.
(I do know from surfing Hawaii, that you can easily lose sight of your board when it is fairly close to you. With you eyes 10" off the water... you can't see over medium chop.)

And you all wear leashes that break?

Seems like it would be fairly simple to develop an unbreakable leash for DW.

Or is there a reason that you need the leash to be able to break?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
My swimming sucks. Something I should seriously work on. I used to be quick when I was a teen and did a lot of distance swimming but I haven't worked at it for many years. The occasional few hundred yards but that's it. I don't think I'd do a DWinder without a waist belt PFD on. Unfortunately I think I'd want that crutch
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
I have never been on a DW, so... am I missing something?

You go pretty far offshore
The winds are strong enough to blow your board far away from you.
The seas are choppy and swells can be big.
100 yard speed doesn't mean much, if you can't see your board.
(I do know from surfing Hawaii, that you can easily lose sight of your board when it is fairly close to you. With you eyes 10" off the water... you can't see over medium chop.)

And you all wear leashes that break?
Seems like it would be fairly simple to develop an unbreakable leash for DW.
Or is there a reason that you need the leash to be able to break?

You go pretty far offshore  -- YES as much as 2 miles on a Maliko run, much, much more on a channel crossing
The winds are strong enough to blow your board far away from you. EASILY
The seas are choppy and swells can be big. WAY BIGGER THAN YOU IMAGINE
100 yard speed doesn't mean much, if you can't see your board. YES
(I do know from surfing Hawaii, that you can easily lose sight of your board when it is fairly close to you. With you eyes 10" off the water... you can't see over medium chop.)YES

And you all wear leashes that break?  Some don't even wear leashes!! I agree, that's crazy, though in the worst situation I was ever in on a downwinder I was praying for my leash to break.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »
SUPcreek, What you're missing is that we're talking about the scenario that happens (in winter) crossing back over big surf on outside reefs in an effort to finish someplace short of Kahului Harbor.  If you go to the harbor, and take a careful line, then you can avoid all that threat about broken leashes. 

If you do cross surf zones and you get mowed down, if the leash doesn't break, your board could. So yeah, then you're not sprinting anymore.  Then you find a pace that you can maintain and swim to shore.   Roughly 40 mins in rough water.

But that's the very worst scenario.  I began this thread because the majority of the time, you'll be close enough to get the board if you don't take too long.  You can see when you get lifted up on swells.  And if I can't see, I draw a split line between the pull zone of the wave and straight downwind.  Glance every once in awhile and your chances are pretty good.  I've lost mine several times over the years and one time swam pretty damn far (I'd guess a .25mile)  before I got it.   

But it's a drag and now I'd rather subject myself to the horrors of Kahului Harbor than to expose myself crossing outside reefs when the surf is up.  Out in the open ocean there's really not too much threat of being hit by anything that would break your cord.  When I fall, I'm usually able to grab my board anyway.  Leashes breaking are a six foot plus surf thing.

Come out and join us.  You'd dig it.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 04:24:08 AM »
Thanks HM

It sounded like you were just concerned about breaking it during the DW run itself.
I figured you must be avoiding breaks when entering/exiting.

The surf zone must be pretty gnarly on a DW board when its big.

I broke my leash and had to swim 500 yards with a paddle to deal with... that was a far as I want to swim theses days.

You won't catch me far offshore when a leash might break ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal