Author Topic: "SUP Thumb" Injury  (Read 4266 times)

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
"SUP Thumb" Injury
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
"SUP Thumb", more commonly known as "skiers thumb" or "goalie thumb" results from tearing or seperating ligaments in your thumb. Usually this occurs from a hockey goal and his stick getting run into or a skier crashing with his poles. In this case, I wiped out good holding the paddle which bent my thumb back, tearing the ligaments. Be careful! This put me in a full arm cast and has shut me down for the next few weeks :'(
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "SUP Thumb" Injury
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
Man, get well. I've banged up my thumbs a few times from falling on the board holding a paddle and crushing a knuckle but so far no ligament damage.

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
I wish you a speedy recovery.
We euro's also know this as a gamekeeper's thumb..
bu seeing this gamkeeper photo, SUp-thumb does sound a little sexier...

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
I crashed doing a 360 down a stair set on bmx about 5 years ago and did  the same. Had the surgery and things have never really been the same for my poor thumb. Now you'll never catch me curling my thumb under anything as it applies pressure to the screw that was used to reattach the ligament and just feels "sketchy" like its about to pop again. It doesn't seem to affect the ability to hold on to a paddle though and I've got a cool scar.

Good luck!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Aka (in my household) mountain bikers thumb.  My husband has had this injury on both thumbs at different times from mountain bike crashes.

Good luck!

The silver lining in his second injury is that we discovered SUPing (flatwater) because he couldn't mountain bike. 

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »
Something good out of an injury that sucks so bad, awesome. Amazing how a hurt thumb can put you down. Never had a cast before and it is awful. I hope everyone reading will be careful with paddle in hand. One bad twist and your out for weeks. Not just out of the water but my cast is on my right hand and I am fumbling through everything!
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »
Aka (in my household) mountain bikers thumb.  My husband has had this injury on both thumbs at different times from mountain bike crashes.

Good luck!

The silver lining in his second injury is that we discovered SUPing (flatwater) because he couldn't mountain bike. 

Funny, this is exactly the reason I ended up surfing SUP so often too, the grip riding a mountain bike became too sketchy, so I had to find something else to do!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
Well for Christmas I got the hard cast removed! Another week or two of taking it easy on the thumb and wearing a soft cast should have me back out on the water. A bad injury for paddling but at least my timing was ok with the holidays and so, so conditions. Definetly learned to be careful with the paddle when wiping out in the future, just wish that lesson didn't take a month.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal