Author Topic: What "meaningful action" would suggest to prevent more mass shooting in the US?  (Read 55964 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gun control wasn't on the table for either candidate in this last election.  Won't happen. 

So what to do?  Gear up and get in touch with reality.   Part of school budgets need to include armed guards.  Schools have been shown to be vulnerable.  There are armed guards at most big office buildings.  You don't hear about too many mass shootings in those places unless there isn't protection.   Schools are easy targets from troubled souls.

If I were a young parent, I'd reconsider schools in the first place.  I think they'll be dinosaurs in the future.  I've seen results of very successful online education.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Just deleted my post as I'm reading the responses.  I am for much stricter gun control.  Some of the posts on here seem so disconnected from what I regard as rational thought that it really seems pointless to argue.  As a New England father of 2 young boys,  this CT tragedy hit much closer to home than past events.  

"Meaningful action" that I would like to see is educating our young people to be good thinkers.  

I better stay off these threads.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oregon, Connecticut, Colorado.  All in the last few months.  All assault weapons.  

Negative, appears the perp left his assault weapon in the car and carried 4 handguns with him.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

"Meaningful action" that I would like to see is educating our young people to be good thinkers.  

This sounds great but assumes that all are playing with a square deck.  It seems that most of these events are done by people with scramble eggs for brains.  Deterrents i doubt would work since many end in suicide.  They obviously aren't attached to this world.  At the end of the day if I were a young parent, I would want my kid to arrive home safely from school and I'd want it tomorrow not in a time frame dictated by politicians.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I think that is something everyone wants and agrees on and it really isn't that hard.  I have four children the youngest of which is 16. I don't know how it happened but they are all amazing human beings and are or will be great contributors. What happened is what I wanted to happen and set out to do when I found out I was having kids. I think they are "better" than me. I have my wife to thank for this also. Geez, if all me who knows what may have happened but that's what we "all" do.  We don't know how really, we just do it. (we=everyone here)
There are just to many kids out there raised in horrible enviroments, and it can be argued they aren't even being raised.....they are just....surviving.....or living. We all know what it is and know of it and no one has an answer on how to get rid of it. I have no clue what made this kid "snap". I read something that his parents were court ordered to attend some sort of parenting classes or something. That when his brothers name came out anyone who knew the two knew it wasn't the brother. Something was waiting to happen. What do we do about that? The horrible act doesn't make sense, none of us can comprehend how and that is what makes it so scary. I would think even thugs with little regard can comprehend an act like that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:54:31 PM by lucabrasi »

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
IMO We somehow need to minimize the publicity and attention the shooter gets by committing such an act. It appears they don't care about their own lives and just want to make a mark in history. I would suggest that the name of the shooter never be made public and this way they would never get the recognition. Might make some difference.
Anyone read the story today about the Oklahoma high school student who was plotting to lock the gym doors during an assembly and open fire on the students inside. He was trying to recruit other students to help him. Being held on one million dollar bond.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
IMO We somehow need to minimize the publicity and attention the shooter gets by committing such an act. It appears they don't care about their own lives and just want to make a mark in history. I would suggest that the name of the shooter never be made public and this way they would never get the recognition. Might make some difference.
Huge. +100 here.
But how?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:25:49 PM by lucabrasi »

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
In most cases, I would agree with you, a lot of these guys are looking for fame, or infamy.

In this case however, appears to have been pure rage. He killed his mom, then killed the class she taught, which was part of her. (not my words, saw it on TV today, makes sense). He wanted to do away with anything she was about apparently, very sick and twisted indeed.

Only good thing to come of this, he's dead too.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Just say no to assult rifles. No need no reason for them. If you need to protect yourself from a band of armed bandits you are in the wrong place or the wrong business.
 Keeping assult rifles out of the hands of looneys is like the UN keeping nuclear weapons out of the wrong countries. You have try to keep it from happening.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

The_Dude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I used to be in the 'ban assault rifle' camp...until a friend of mine pointed out that the whole reason behind the 2nd amendment was to allow people to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. (Bill of Rights was soon after the Revolution...for those of us who are rusty with our history).  Pretty hard to do this if you have rifles while 'the enemy' has assault rifles.

Also, as already pointed out, the gunman used handguns in this case.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gun control wasn't on the table for either candidate in this last election.  Won't happen. 

So what to do?  Gear up and get in touch with reality.   Part of school budgets need to include armed guards.  Schools have been shown to be vulnerable.  There are armed guards at most big office buildings.  You don't hear about too many mass shootings in those places unless there isn't protection.   Schools are easy targets from troubled souls.

If I were a young parent, I'd reconsider schools in the first place.  I think they'll be dinosaurs in the future.  I've seen results of very successful online education.

I  agree with you headmount.  I think this is a doable solution.  Yes school funding is already a problem but I like the idea of a few armed guards at school.  I've thought about the home schooling thing but still want my children to be social.  Example of 2 different kids being home schooled.  1 plays no sports and because no sports and no public school, they have no socialization which turns him to video games on all the free time.  2nd kid plays all the sports and extremely social because of all the friends.  He'll be fine without the public school.  I have 2 girls and girls may or may not get involved in sports.  I think they need the public school experience.  

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
I used to be in the 'ban assault rifle' camp...until a friend of mine pointed out that the whole reason behind the 2nd amendment was to allow people to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. (Bill of Rights was soon after the Revolution...for those of us who are rusty with our history).  Pretty hard to do this if you have rifles while 'the enemy' has assault rifles.

Better get a Nuclear Sub or two.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Negative, appears the perp left his assault weapon in the car and carried 4 handguns with him.

"All the victims of the Connecticut elementary school shooting were killed up close by multiple rifle shots, a medical examiner said."

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
We can't legislate mental illness away, the best we can do is help ensure access to personal security.     It would be great if we could refrain from publicizing the perpetrators, but not at the price of restricting the press.

Specifically for schools, I'm warming up  to the idea of utilizing SRO's (school safety officers) either off duty cops or part of regular patrol on school premises.  They provide at least three very important functions, enforcement, instruction, and mentoring.  

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I didn't read every word on this thread, so this may have been noted before.
I heard on the news today that there are approximately 300 million firearms in the hands of private citizens here in the USA.
300 million, I'd say that there is too much toothpaste out of the tube already, can't put it back.

I also heard that he tried to buy his own firearm about a week ago, and was turned down.
Some things are working.
I also think that some things can't be helped, no matter what kind of fortresses we make out of our schools.

Lets not also forget the 80+ senior highschoolers that were hunted down and killed like animals, stuck on an island, during a school campout, in one of those scandanavian countries (can't remember which one).
Could have they been protected?

It's in the numbers, as our population doubles, you will have double the amount of this kind of shit happening.  
So is it happening more?  Yes, and it will continue to increase as our population grows.

But I also believe that this kind of stuff happened quite a bit in the past, that we never heard about for two reasons.  One, primitive media, and two, some bad shit was often covered up as to not bring down a bad reputation onto their communities.

Pragmatic, I know, but it's the only way that I can make sense of it.  :-\

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:05:22 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM