Author Topic: CT school shooting  (Read 41156 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
CT school shooting
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
This is about 20 minutes away from us in Newtown CT....  hard to believe what is going on in the world... sadly, it's only going to get worse...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=8920181
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
Just heard about it, sickening does not begin to describe it. Thoughts and prayers to everybody up there.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Absolutely tragic.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
As a mother and former kindergarten teacher, the shooting in Connecticut is particularly hard for me to wrap my mind around.  I can’t help but replay the first day of kindergarten, an emotional day for so many families.  I think of these families, losing their kids like this, it’s beyond disturbing.  

My emotional responses include, I wish someone would have shot that young man sooner, I wish I could have been there to shoot that man, and I’m glad he was shot.   Rationally, I don’t think violence is the answer, it’s the problem.  The shooter was dealing with emotional problems and chose violence as his weak and cowardly solution.  

I have no problem with hunting, but owning guns to use as weapons against each other, even as a method of self-defense, seems misguided and unlikely to make us any safer.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:02:11 PM by Admin »

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

I cannot imagine being one of the parents who lost a child there today.
The guy apparently had some serious issues to have killed both of his parents and a bunch of kids ! Unbelievably sad......

But I have to wonder.....would some lives have been saved if one of the staff had a CCW permit?

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Or could revised gun laws (particularly in regards to mental health laws) have prevented this? 

This is the second recent event where an individual known to be mentally instable, easily obtained multiple fire arms, entered a school armed, shot and killed many.  This should give even an ardent NRA member pause.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »
No, this should give mental health professionals pause.

I'm afraid this will just give the anti-gunners another reason to blame the tool.
The guns belonged to his mother which she legally had.

22 students slashed in school by a knife wielding crazy in China.
http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china-stabbingsbre8bd065-20121213,0,5592318.story
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:36:08 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
Obviously, gun control is a huge debate with both sides having valid points. After almost 20 years in law enforcement I can tell you that the vast majority of folks committing crimes with guns could not give a rat's @ss if the weapon they had was considered legal or not.

After 14 years on the street in my particular town, which has one of the highest per capita concealed weapons permit rates in the state of Texas ( do THAT math!) you know how many problems I have had with a concealed permit holder? ONE

You know how many guns we get off of un-permitted turds out committing crimes? A BUNCH

You cannot put black and white on life, it is grey area....there is no way to make one law for an amazingly wide spectrum of daily lives....just look at tax law for an idea of that impossibility. Does anyone ever consider simplifying that? No, they just make more confusing laws and pile onto the mess.  Same difference here.

Pandora's box is open, millions of guns are out there already. Banning them is futility. The only folks who will abide by new gun laws are the ones already abiding by the old ones. I'm not saying do nothing, I'm saying work towards viable long term solutions. The quick fix, let me grab some headlines shown by our leadership is worthless.  ( Fiscal cliff, anyone?)

This problem took decades to reach this point, who in their right mind can think of an overnight fix? With solid, incremental steps towards long term results......MAYBE we can have this much more controlled by the time our children are grandparents. Anyone who thinks an easy, quick fix is realistic is a fool.  

At the end of this day, all we can do is feel heartbroken for those up in Conn. I do

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
No words...

No, stricter gun laws would most likely not have prevented this. But i do agree that guns make it easier for cowards like this to kill more innocent people. A truly depraved person or just someone bent on destruction and evil will find another tool to commit his acts.

The problem is humans-humans cant fix flawed humans-the appropriate question in my mind is-who fixes humans?

Its not other humans. Or laws.  Or programs. Or this political party or that one. Or money ad nauseam....

I know my choice, and even then a lot of it is up to the person and what theyre willing to concede.

God is able to fix broken people, but they have to be willing, hence free will.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
I went to Sandy Hook Elementary and the horror that went on there today is unfathomable.  I pray for all those people.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »
I respectfully disagree.

Humans can and have been fixing flawed humans for centuries.   The result is a safer society with a lower risk of death by homicide.  We can improve and we shouldn’t take societal progression as a given. 

We have a much greater understanding of mental illness now than when most of the current laws were enacted.  We could (and should) revise these laws to assist families dealing with sociopathic, psychotic, and schizoid relatives. 

In addition, modern gun laws should be open to review as semi-automatic assault weapons have become readily available and are frequently misused. 

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
The thing about guns is they are a field leveler. I.E. if one person is mentally unstable with many guns and is in a room with a normal person with one gun, no one has the upper hand. No matter what 1 pull of the trigger can end it.

I felt safe in my schools when there were multiple armed LEOs roaming the halls. And that was in a fairly affluent and safe area(we were next door to a police station in high school). That shouldn't be a necessity in an elementary school, but it may be now.

My boss grew up not far from there, in Stamford. Thoughts going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparx

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:32 AM »

I'm afraid this will just give the anti-gunners another reason to blame the tool.

First up, this is tragic, as a teacher and a father I can't get my head around any aspect of this random act of insanity.
Secondly, in what civilised society is it considered normal for a mother and as I understand, someone who works in schools, to have access to a Glock and Sig pistols as well as a semi automatic rifle, unless she a registered sport shooter or lives in a rural environment where the posession of such fire arms is necessary.
Sorry, I'm not having a crack at the American culture per se, I'm from Aus and God alone knows we have enough fruit loops free rangeing in our country, we have crack, we have ice and we have mental illness. What we dont have is unlimited or in fact any access to hand guns and semi automatic weapons without mind bendingly strict restrictions, conditions and paperwork. We have violence, we have dickheads and unfortunately we have a youth cohort who increasingly look to the USA for their cultural touchstone. We have gun related violence but we dont have a culture that seems to believe that the only way to minimise crime is to maximise gun ownership.
Once again, not trying to light fires, this tragedy is to big for soapboxes. My condolences to any and all who have been touched by this tragedy.
Regards
Sparx

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 03:07:24 AM »
"this tragedy is to big for soapboxes."

That's it. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Flores

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 03:43:14 AM »

22 students slashed in school by a knife wielding crazy in China.
http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china-stabbingsbre8bd065-20121213,0,5592318.story

Amen brother.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal