Author Topic: CT school shooting  (Read 41160 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Come on people it's not rocket science. Criminals by definition are "law breakers"...they don't obey the laws on the books...more laws have no effect on them...they don't buy from gun stores...but other criminals who like wise have no regard for the law. If you want to do something positive enforce the laws already on the books.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »
Ok....I think I've finally begun to understand things.
NRA position makes total sense.

In order to defend our Constitutional right to bear arms, we will need to allow our children to grow up in a world surrounded by an armed police presence.

Fifth generation veteran here who has total respect for law enforcement.   

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
Ok....I think I've finally begun to understand things.
NRA position makes total sense.

In order to defend our Constitutional right to bear arms, we will need to allow our children to grow up in a world surrounded by an armed police presence.

Fifth generation veteran here who has total respect for law enforcement.

Our children have been surrounded by armed police for a long time already.

The armed presence would be required whether gun control were in effect or not...

If mad gunmen target courthouses, then courthouses will have to be protected. If they target airports, then airports have to be protected. Likewise for sports venues or whatever next becomes the "popular" target for madmen.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
The other night I was the school Christmas program at the high school. Getting done with them but have been going to them for 20 years or so now. A good evening. Lots of people, school doors open and people coming and going, auditorium full, see lots of families and friends and all that. I am sure I was not the only one there walking in that night with some thoughts jumping out about what had just happened in CT. Same thoughts the other day at the mall too. Not scared or anything....just..."that could happen here."  Now that I think about it....I don't remember seeing a police car at the high school either. Small community for sure and that's not necassarilly a bad thing there wasn't one there.  
Our children MUST be safe when they go to school and they need to feel safe as well as the parents need to also when they send them off. A resource officer at the school isn't a bad thing. The one I know of is well respected by the kids. Invited and came to the little graduation party. He has been there for 10-12 years I think at that high school. The other high school I am familiar with, which is the school I was at the other nite, doesn't have a dedicated one I know of. Yet.
It's a real shame for sure but we are looking at seeing this at elementary schools too. Little kids, are you shitting me? It's just awful for sure but I am not sure anyone out there really thinks this isn't what should happen. NRA or not.
BUT, there are always going to be large groups of people, packed buildings, parades, busy intersections, etc. There will also always be wierdos and lunatics and just nutso people as well as regular people.
No one can really comprehend what happened or why people do such horrible things and we will just hope for the best for our children and grandchildren......like our parents and grandparents did before us, no matter how much more rotten we think the world is out there now.

I saw this before and went and found it and thought I would post it. Some relevant to a degree, some in jest. Something similar to the first scenario happened when my daughter was a senior. Outcome was somewhat a cross of then and now. Certain policy, procedure, and requirements had to be followed...but common sense did prevail.....weeks later. It was quite the gossip for a bit.

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957: Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack’s shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007: School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957: Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007: Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957: Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007: Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957: Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007: Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957: Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2007: Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1957: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007: Pedro’s cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1957: Ants die.
2007: BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny’s Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957: In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007: Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy. Johnny’s parents sue the school for negligence and the teacher for emotional trauma and win both cases. Mary, jobless and indebted, commits suicide by jumping off of a tall building. When she lands, she hits a car and also damages a potted pot. The car’s owner and the plant’s owner sue Mary’s estate for destruction of property. They both win.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:54:19 PM by lucabrasi »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
That would be funny, if it weren't so close to the truth.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
"So you think the typical female teacher is going to run at a guy with a shotgun and pistols and tackle him and save the day...... "

I'd wager yes, if they were given the chance.  Female or not.  1950 called....
Dane...I realize that sounds sexist but its simply true. I'm not questioning the bravery of women. I'm questioning their ability to take down a guy with a gun....any gun. The average guy isn't going to be able to do much nevermind a women. Tell me something...your injured and trapped in a burning building. Would you prefer someone with the physicality of the average male to come pull you out or the average woman? I raised two girls to be independant self reliant women. I'm anything but sexist. Reality called.....
Bob, sorry, I read your statement to say that a woman wouldn't try to save her kids, not wether they were capable or not.  Obviously, having two daughters, you know what a human being will do to protect children... something that some folks without kids do not understand.  

On a side note, when my daughter was born, I sold all my guns & let my concealed weapons permit expire.  I feel my family is safer not having them in my house, even though they were in a safe.  But that's just me, and I respect responsible gun owners.  

No worries...easy to do on the web, apology accepted. I worded that stupidly too. If anything I think a woman's instinct to protect a child may be even more than a mans. Also want to be sure to note that there are plenty of women who could physically do the job.
I did much the same when my 1st was about 3 years old...never had a CC but got rid of my guns. Didn't want to explain shooting Bambi.  Unfortunately though I think one of the best outcomes could have come from a man or a women CC on the job as teacher or school security.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:30:18 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
That would be funny, if it weren't so close to the truth.
Yeah.....reading those again I thnk I should have said pretty relevant and somewhat in jest.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal