Author Topic: CT school shooting  (Read 41323 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
Speaking of old fashioned shot guns:

--------------------------------------------

When a tyrannical government uses it's assault rifles to take away my rights, it would be beyond immoral to expect me to defend those rights with my grandpa's shotgun. That is why I need an assault rifle.

-anon
----------------------------------------------------

..long live nutty paranoia.

Maritimestandup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
I just say, have at it America, arm everyone to the hilt.  Either everyone needs guns or  no one should have (restricted) guns.  Personally I am glad to be raising my young family in Canada, (albeit i do love America, except for the guns)  The only need for guns here are  shotguns to hunt.

I don't  want to send my kids to school with armed teachers, and police patrol.  Nor do I want my kids packing heat when they go to the mall. I have never felt the need to own a gun here, because I have never felt unsafe.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
If we were to loosen up gun restrictions even more, there would be more civilian
interventions saving lives.  But at the same time the overall gun violence would also
rise - more guns available-  raising the number of gun related deaths.  The uninterrupted shootings would
still produce more deaths then those saved thru interventions.  And how much collateral damage
will we be able to take.

Guns are readily available to CRIMINALS, always have been always will.

You can pass as many gun prohibitions as you want, the CRIMINALS will still break the law and have guns.  The only difference will be that law abiding people won't have guns to defend themselves.

Did prohibition stop alcohol?  No.

Does the war on drugs stop drugs?  No.

Will gun bans stop deranged people from murdering their own mother and a bunch of kids?  No.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I just say, have at it America, arm everyone to the hilt.  Either everyone needs guns or  no one should have (restricted) guns.  Personally I am glad to be raising my young family in Canada, (albeit i do love America, except for the guns)  The only need for guns here are  shotguns to hunt.

I don't  want to send my kids to school with armed teachers, and police patrol.  Nor do I want my kids packing heat when they go to the mall. I have never felt the need to own a gun here, because I have never felt unsafe.
I guess the U.S. will just have to solve this without your insights. 

Maritimestandup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
That's right Pdxmike.  I apoligize for my input.  I didn't really appreciate your facetious comment, and I don't like how this topic has divided the Aloha spirit here at the stand up zone. 

I am going back to posting about waves and boards.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Like I said, every month in my community a child is killed by a gun accident. I was waiting for the December event, and it happened last night - a 2-yr old got ahold of his Grandpa's shotgun and shot/killed himself. It wasnt some idiot, it was a upper class family. Last month it was a 3-yr old daughter of a highway patrolman.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
Like I said, every month in my community a child is killed by a gun accident. I was waiting for the December event, and it happened last night - a 2-yr old got ahold of his Grandpa's shotgun and shot/killed himself. It wasnt some idiot, it was a upper class family. Last month it was a 3-yr old daughter of a highway patrolman.

So by your rationale that an accident occurred and a life was lost you suggest banning firearms?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:00:12 PM by TEX_SUP »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »

Guns are readily available to CRIMINALS, always have been always will.

You can pass as many gun prohibitions as you want, the CRIMINALS will still break the law and have guns.  The only difference will be that law abiding people won't have guns to defend themselves.

Did prohibition stop alcohol?  No.

Does the war on drugs stop drugs?  No.

Will gun bans stop deranged people from murdering their own mother and a bunch of kids?  No.

You are using red herrings again.  ::)
It is nonsense. More than enough countries have a lot lower level of guns. Police in Norway and England does not even carry guns. The rules to get guns are stricter, but it is not that hard, but criminals do not generally arm themselves. By your logic criminals would own the streets in those countries...but no instead it is one of the safest countries to live in.

Sure you will argue that there was a psycho that killed in Norway...it is true. There was one. So now you think it would be so much safer if everyone in the country carry a gun? It just doesn't make any sense because these guns would escalate conflict instead of lowering it. People who own guns have about a 5 times higher probability of getting shot.

I am really baffled at the lack of understanding that you cannot arm yourself out of something like this.

The argument is flawed because in pretty much every country with at a modicum of regulation has so much less gun violence.

Wood_Ogre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »
OK so today the world ends so starting Monday in the new world every child from 5 years old up will be required to carry a 357 magnum in holster. Every day instead of nap time they will have 15 minutes of practice quick draw and 15 minutes of live fire at the chalk board !! The older kids will take field trips to Washington DC and practice shooting Congressmen who don't seem to be good for anything else !!  

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

It is nonsense. More than enough countries have a lot lower level of guns. Police in Norway and England does not even carry guns. 

The argument is flawed because in pretty much every country with at a modicum of regulation has so much less gun violence.

Please try harder to form intelligent arguments, yours are pitifully weak.

Mexico has extremely restrictive gun laws.  Violence in Mexico is extremely high with tens of thousands killed every year.

Norway has extremely restrictive gun laws.  They had a similar deranged individual go bonkers last year and he killed almost a hundred people. 

So even a cursory examination of your plan shows it as a failure.

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »

Agree that Canada is a great place to raise a family. Beautiful place.

But firearms are legal in Canada...

And the homicide rate of Canadian provinces is often identical to that of their American neighbors...

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »

Please try harder to form intelligent arguments, yours are pitifully weak.

Mexico has extremely restrictive gun laws.  Violence in Mexico is extremely high with tens of thousands killed every year.

Norway has extremely restrictive gun laws.  They had a similar deranged individual go bonkers last year and he killed almost a hundred people. 

So even a cursory examination of your plan shows it as a failure.

Thank you for your advice on forming an intelligent argument. It means a lot coming from you. My only issue with it is that you do not seem to understand the difference between actual statistics and anecdotal evidence. That can be a problem since anecdotal evidence only holds up in church, and not anywhere where you deal with reality. 

Again, if you look at actual statistics as in numbers...(I am going to assume that you understand basic math)...instead of using anecdotal evidence...you would see that the examples you are using does not represent anything but scare tactics.

US:
Number of deaths gun related: 11,493
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6 where 3.7 are homicide...

in Norway the same rate is 0.04.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

If you really need to have it spelled out, then you have 92 times higher chance of getting killed by someones gun in the US than in Norway.

So what is your point?

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
If you want to look at murder rates Mexico's homicide rate is 3 times higher than the US.

Firearms are highly restricted in Mexico. 

Oops I guess your plan doesn't work after all.

I'll take the good ole USA and you can move to Mexico!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »
If you want to look at murder rates Mexico's homicide rate is 3 times higher than the US.

Firearms are highly restricted in Mexico. 

Oops I guess your plan doesn't work after all.

I'll take the good ole USA and you can move to Mexico!

I am sure the gun toting buddies at the redneck express also known as the Tea party is happy that you compare the US to underdeveloped countries.

The fact of the matter is: The United States has the highest rate of gun related injuries among developed countries. It also has the highest rate of gun ownership and the highest rate of officers.

Your arms race has been tried in the US for a loooong time, and it has failed. Now time to try something else.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

I am sure the gun toting buddies at the redneck express also known as the Tea party is happy that you compare the US to underdeveloped countries.

You're a little bit racist towards Mexicans, how old fashioned!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard