Author Topic: CT school shooting  (Read 41317 times)

tulipcity paddle

Re: CT school shooting
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:21:50 AM »
Or could revised gun laws (particularly in regards to mental health laws) have prevented this? 

This is the second recent event where an individual known to be mentally instable, easily obtained multiple fire arms, entered a school armed, shot and killed many.  This should give even an ardent NRA member pause.

The guns were legally obtained and owned by the shooters mom. Unfortunately, she must not have had them locked up very well.....or he knew how to gain access to them.

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:51 AM »
My heartfelt condolences to all the people of Newtown Ct. I cry for you.

I can't even imagine how this is going to alter your town forever.
I know that sleepy little area well, I and my little girls spent a lot of time with my good friends and their little boys in Brookfield, the town next door. I was surfing with the boys a month ago, now that there all grown up.

No sense can or will be made from this.
This poor town will become a catch phrase and a political fulcrum. They are doomed.
There will be much more damage done to those unfortunate people in the years to come as the spotlight is focused to the burning point.

These were little kids... not a life lessons. A funeral is time for grieving. A time to hug your kids. A time of immense sadness for innocence taken.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 07:09:38 AM »
No, this should give mental health professionals pause.

I'm afraid this will just give the anti-gunners another reason to blame the tool.
The guns belonged to his mother which she legally had.

22 students slashed in school by a knife wielding crazy in China.
http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china-stabbingsbre8bd065-20121213,0,5592318.story

Including a link to a slashing incident in China is a smoke screen. Had a "civilian" issued assault rifle designed for combat been used in the same instance, there probably would have been 22 or more DEAD children, rather than 22 "slashed" children. Pick your poison. Yep, people become unhinged and do crazy things, and will find a way to injure or kill, BUT comparing knife attacks to mass shootings carried out with guns designed to KILL human beings are not one in the same.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:29:35 AM by robon »

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »
This is painful, sickening, and sorely tragic.
My heart and prayers go out to all those families.  I am so sorry for your losses.
As a father of a 5 and 8 yr old in elementary school, this really hits home.  I don't know what to think right now other than the pain I feel for the families and victims.  Poor kids have been robbed of their childhood and life because of a senseless gruesome act. :'(

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
So sad. 

I can not fathom what the parents and relatives must be going through.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Until people can feel safe about their schools, the schools need to have armed guards, it's that simple.  School are too vulnerable.  The second coming will happen before gun laws change.

Online education is the other alternative.  IMO schools will disappear in the future.

Young parents need to deal with this.  It doesn't seem to be stopping. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
I've always wanted kids, since I was a kid I wanted kids, and almost my whole life I can remember thinking that the most horrible thing a person could have happen is to lose a child. It's long been been a phobia. I hurt so bad for these poor kids and their parents. The horror of this is so terrible, words simply don't exist.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
  Stoney_ My significant other is from CT. She has a friend who's bosses' sister lost her 20 something year old son when he had a heart attack , shoveling snow about three weeks ago.

Unfortunately, tragedy struck  this poor woman again when her daughter was killed in this massacre, 3 weeks later.

Its positively mind numbing when I try to imagine how this woman feels right now.

Today's WSJ had pictures of a lot of the children and little paragraphs about their personalities and hobbies. I had to put it down. As a father it was just too difficult to read. My heart goes out to those parents unfortunate enough to have their child's picture in that paper today

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
Until people can feel safe about their schools, the schools need to have armed guards, it's that simple.  School are too vulnerable.  The second coming will happen before gun laws change.

Online education is the other alternative.  IMO schools will disappear in the future.

Young parents need to deal with this.  It doesn't seem to be stopping. 

The fact that it’s gotten to this point makes me very thankful I never had kids, and wont.  This whole horrible tragedy is beyond  comprehensible.   

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
No offence but why is this thread in the general catagory. I dont get the need to post this here. It is on every news channel is that not enough. Can't you go on the news blogs to talk about this. Some of us come on here to get away from all the bad news. Enough already.

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 01:58:08 PM »
No offence but why is this thread in the general catagory. I dont get the need to post this here. It is on every news channel is that not enough. Can't you go on the news blogs to talk about this. Some of us come on here to get away from all the bad news. Enough already.

I guess it's here because, as in the other forums I partake in, such as snowmobiling, excavating, snow plowing and so on.....it is something that affects us as humans beings. It's a topic of discussion. It may not concern SUP.....but it concerns us as people, as parents. This is where we can talk about it with other people we have something in common with....even though most of us do not know each other.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »

I guess it's here because, as in the other forums I partake in, such as snowmobiling, excavating, snow plowing and so on.....it is something that affects us as humans beings. It's a topic of discussion. It may not concern SUP.....but it concerns us as people, as parents. This is where we can talk about it with other people we have something in common with....even though most of us do not know each other.

I omit I lost it a little. I was just overloaded buy it all and went into a rant. Thanks for taking it with a grain of salt.
Aloha.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »

I omit I lost it a little. I was just overloaded buy it all and went into a rant. Thanks for taking it with a grain of salt.
Aloha.
Dont sweat it 808-i think we all lost something on this thread-i cant watch the news now that they are releasing names and pics-i full on broke down the first time i saw one, its just too much...
God Bless those poor parents and everyone involved-the poor cops that had to walk into that classroom!-just overwhelming...
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
Or could revised gun laws (particularly in regards to mental health laws) have prevented this? 

This is the second recent event where an individual known to be mentally instable, easily obtained multiple fire arms, entered a school armed, shot and killed many.  This should give even an ardent NRA member pause.

He tried to buy a gun and was denied. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard