Author Topic: Women's Surf Style Magazine  (Read 6569 times)

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Women's Surf Style Magazine
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
   I was looking for some stocking stuffers for my teenage daughter today and came across this magazine. I was flipping through it tonight and it was quite impressive. It has alot of articles and great photography on surfing, fashion, and the surf lifestyle in general, while being geared towards women. I could do without my 13 year old seeing the bare chested hottie of the month on the centerfold, but whats  a father to do? Here is the link for any women on here that want to check it out: http://womenssurfstyle.com/

The one thing that really stood out about this mag is that it was SUP inclusive as well. Whether you prone, or SUS, the liefstyle that we embrace is 95% similar.  This  magazine actually realizes this fact of life and includes both with no apologies. I know much has been posted on the Zone about the us vs. them attitude and here we have the women being progressive and inclusive of all.

The male version of this magazine would be a sort of Esquire(which I like) thats all about surf and SUP. It would be  refreshing to have an adult progressive male surf magazine like this instead of just prone or just SUP. I read only a few SUP and Surf magazines out there and just wondering if anything like that exists?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:58:22 PM by piece of 8 »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Women's Surf Style Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
  I was looking for some stocking stuffers for my teenage daughter today and came across this magazine. I was flipping through it tonight and it was quite impressive. It has alot of articles and great photography on surfing, fashion, and the surf lifestyle in general, while being geared towards women. I could do without my 13 year old seeing the bare chested hottie of the month on the centerfold, but whats  a father to do? Here is the link for any women on here that want to check it out: http://womenssurfstyle.com/

The one thing that really stood out about this mag is that it was SUP inclusive as well. Whether you prone, or SUS, the liefstyle that we embrace is 95% similar.  This  magazine actually realizes this fact of life and includes both with no apologies. I know much has been posted on the Zone about the us vs. them attitude and here we have the women being progressive and inclusive of all.

The male version of this magazine would be a sort of Esquire(which I like) thats all about surf and SUP. It would be  refreshing to have an adult progressive male surf magazine like this instead of just prone or just SUP. I read only a few SUP and Surf magazines out there and just wondering if anything like that exists?

Interesting.  This is probably the third or fourth women's surf magazine to hit the market and hopefully it won't fold like the previous ones did.  There was also one put out by Surfer Magazined called Salted.  Not sure if that's still around or not.

As to your last question, when Longboard Magazine folded some of their staff formed MorSurf Magazine and it was all inclusive as far as longboard, shortboard, alternative shapes and SUP.  Unfortunately it only lasted three issues.  The us vs. them attitude is not going away any time soon.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:44 AM »
Hey Po8
That looks like a pretty great mag.
Pretty sizable issues, with lots of quality ads and articles.
Your daughter will love it... and don't worry about the centerfold... he's much too old... she won't even see him :D

Women's Surf Style Magazine on to something... women have a whole different "tribe" thing going on than guys. They stick together and are supportive.... the female surfers and SUPers will probably embrace each other, rather than tearing at each other.

I can see, with the growing numbers of women in SUP and surf, that this mag has cornered a very profitable market. The future of SUP, with women throughout the country, is endless.

Surfer Magazine... are you paying attention???
If you stop wishing SUP would go away... and start showing some real leadership, you could forge the way into the actual future... not the fictional one you fantasize about.

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »
STC- I'm picking up what your laying down and that was the original intent of my post.
    Nobody that publishes strictly surf style magazines wants to alienate their demographic. However, for the lost ,say 20% of readership, you could increase sales by say, 30 or 40 % with an increase in the target readership. Namely, people that enjoy waveriding without the constraints of defining how they ride that wave.
    I've never published a magazine and I don't personally have a knowledge of it. A start up would be riskier, in my opinion, than making changes to an existing one. It seems as though that would probably be a few  years away. I thought that this was a meaningful  quote from another thread, just telling it like it is: It was by Newton333 ,but I still can't seem to grasp the quote function of the Zone so I'll just cut and paste.
 "  the mag sucks anyway. if any of these mags were smart they'd add some sup salles would increase 80% easy. how about a mag with just  all wave ridding... surf, long board,  body, boogie, skim. at all good and guys are ripping at all of them!"
   Thats a little more scope than Women's Surf Style Magazine,but I wish them well with this mag.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:10:51 PM by piece of 8 »

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal