Author Topic: Believe the hype.  (Read 178283 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Believe the hype.
« Reply #555 on: March 18, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
I understand the need but it does seem a bit harsh especially for a thread that has sparked such great discussion.....I'm not sure some of the deletions met what I thought was the requirement. Maybe a comment/warning and a discussion would have been better served and made it clearer what is allowable?

At the same time I think you guys need to cut admin a break. There is good reason for the requirement. There have been plenty of folks that have come on here for no other reason than pushing a brand. Fake login names, friends with benefits plugging brands, some underhanded slamming of other brands through intermediaries, you name it. They understand the power of the zone very well. While I'm not sure I feel anything here went that far we did have sponsored riders, and brand reps commenting on gear that are not site sponsors. The zone is a private enterprise that has had a lot of heart and soul put into it, and more than a little time and sweat. I hope admin is finally making a few bucks off of it. I know I wouldn't put all this time and effort into something like this without expectation of some kind of return.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:10:54 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
  Yes Mrs. Cleaver.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: March 18, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
It is ironic that good, intelligent discussion about SUPs gets censored, but if its about guns and chicks, then its all good.  This is a SUP forum, right?

I didn't see anything in that thread that seemed to cross the line or deserved to be deleted.  If the experts are automatically disqualified from commenting on products or trends, whats the point of discussion? 

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 18, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
There needs to be an anything goes section so when threads like this take on a life of its own Admin can move it to the Wild West Section.  Maybe some forum sponsors don't like other products getting "liked" more than their products?????

the Ke Nalu thread was like this, but Kirk isn't even posting in this thread and that one went on ad nauseam.

Some clear ground rules being provided would be helpful hey? Instead of you've been deleted for posting something we decided is a no no and we aren't going to provide the details.  A little clarity would go a long, otherwise this place is about to go the way of the Surfermag forum.

I complained about Wardog's over the top sales pitches being thrown into other people's threads a while back and got a "thanks for the comment" while noticing the ongoing blinky ad off to the side.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: March 18, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
It was great to see and hear about the endless variety of some sweet (mostly domestic custom) shapes on this thread.  I hope it can continue on here.

That's what is really pushing it all forward.  Not necessarily the one (or few sizes) that thinks it outfits it all.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »
Funny you mention "fake login names" because there was a post yesterday or maybe earlier today that was a duplicate post but with a totally different username. If that was what caused the deletions then its probably because the admin could see they both had the same IP Address.

As one who makes a living from internet marketing, which offers me a lot of FREE TIME to do the stuff I love to do in my life, I have no problem at all with the owner of this site making a TON of money from his affiliate links and I really doubt anyone else has a problem with that. Speaking for myself, I've never met Kirk but figured it was cool to post photos of my yellow board.

ADMIN: I'm very thankful for this forum but could you please explain to us what happened so it won't happen again?

Thank you.

I understand the need but it does seem a bit harsh especially for a thread that has sparked such great discussion.....I'm not sure some of the deletions met what I thought was the requirement. Maybe a comment/warning and a discussion would have been better served and made it clearer what is allowable?

At the same time I think you guys need to cut admin a break. There is good reason for the requirement. There have been plenty of folks that have come on here for no other reason than pushing a brand. Fake login names, friends with benefits plugging brands, some underhanded slamming of other brands through intermediaries, you name it. They understand the power of the zone very well. While I'm not sure I feel anything here went that far we did have sponsored riders, and brand reps commenting on gear that are not site sponsors. The zone is a private enterprise that has had a lot of heart and soul put into it, and more than a little time and sweat. I hope admin is finally making a few bucks off of it. I know I wouldn't put all this time and effort into something like this without expectation of some kind of return.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
I have no problem at all with the owner of this site making a TON of money from his affiliate links and I really doubt anyone else has a problem with that.

I have no issue as long as the two big pitfalls are avoided: the contents do not suffer (useful information for readers on some subjects forbidden), and pretending to be a open community but being actually just a promotion medium for some brands.

Just as I have no issue with advertisement in newspapers / internet site, but I just wont subscribe to the ones where the advertisers impose the contents.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:43 AM »
Well said Colas, that why i love the SUZ from the beginning, alot contents that is non bias reviews based on real users.  If i want bias review on stuff, i can always get it surf mag.  Plus most zoners here have great BS/troll alerts.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

endlessfight

« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »
Bandwidth costs money. It’s not really cheap to run a forum of this size. If it wasn’t moderated for advertising you would have every joe blow wanna get into the SUP business spamming threads with their junk that no one wants; You gotta have rules in place to curb that. Its also not fair to the sponsors that do pay to advertise their product here. However, there is a difference between the owner of a brand pushing their own product, and a group of happy customers that are happy with a product, and in this case a style/shape of board. If this forum is going the way of ‘you can only have long positive product review threads about our own sponsors’ then that’s really too bad and will just cause people to move elsewhere unfortunately. But in the grand scheme of things, none of us pay to use this forum, they own it, their rules on how they wanna run things.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:51:54 AM by endlessfight »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
I definitely appreciate what Admin does to make this site what it is, I just have trouble understanding how this thread is different from the Ke Nalu thread.  I view them both as a source of information for people to chime in on what works for them, it never came across as a shaper/rep/company trying to push their product over others.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
Hi guys,

There is substantial brand motivation to having info posted on forum sites.  The direct exposure value is high, the link value is high, and duration is high.  These combined factors cannot be duplicated on other online resources, paid or otherwise.  Forums have issues with this at registration and in the form of brand participation.

We are pleased to have a good deal of traffic to share and are stoked that site sponsors (which range from large brands to one man operations) have backed up the site and have requested to share in our traffic.  Stand Up Paddlers who are associated with brands that are not site sponsors are allowed to post here but are not considered normal users.  Their postings need to be limited to general info and cannot contain brand specific photos, videos, links, product info, etc.  In other words, they should not be referring to their related brands at all.  

When we see non-adherance to this rule, posts are removed and a dialogue typically begins.  In the instance of this thread, our wishes were expressed and not followed.  

This can of course be avoided by doing what most do.  Drop a PM or email and we will be happy to let you know if what you intend to post is a fit for this site.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:34:24 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal