Author Topic: What are you looking for in a SUP Club?  (Read 4594 times)

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
What are you looking for in a SUP Club?
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
Hi zoners,

I'm looking to build the stoke for SUP in my area by starting a SUP club in my home city and am looking for some advice. Have any of you started a club or are you members of a club in your city?

What are you looking for in a SUP club? What's important to you? Do you want merchandise to show your relationship to a club? Do you want regularly scheduled outings? Do you want a variety of activities (ie. Flat water, river running, races, yoga etc..).

Are there any major roadblocks you have experienced that I should be aware of (ie. insurance etc...)?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks and ride hard!
Ride for life!

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are you looking for in a SUP Club?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
I've started quite a few clubs from Hobie Cat Fleets , Tournament Ski Clubs and now Paddle boarding. You need enthusiasm and INCLUDE THE WHOLE FAMILY. " The family that plays together, stays together." Don't make everything about racing, do touring, surfing, if you're close to the beach, make up games like jousting. Get the younger kids involved. They will make sure the parents stay with it. If you're going to have races, you will probably have to get permits and insurance.I'm 68, and been a gymnast all my life and very competitive. I'm so surprised that the industry does not even try to encourage  people my age to get into the sport. Have outings every 2-3 weeks, weather permitting. Try to go different places, lakes and rivers. Start a Meetup group in your area. I hate Meetup but it does help you get a lot of people interested. Also, Craigslist. I'm sure others have some great ideas. Good luck.
 P.S. We're in Central Texas.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:06:23 PM by Surfer44 »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
My fiancée and I played around on our own for about 6 months on our first boards, watching videos, reading blogs and teaching ourselves as we went along.  Then, our favorite local shop…one that focuses on more of the fitness/ touring/ racing aspect and not so much on the SUS only, offered a class to learn how to race.  We signed up for the course, which was taught by the shop manager, who is a sponsored rider of SUPLove.  The class was to meet every Tuesday & Thursday night and Saturday mornings.  We found ourselves in a group of 12 or so ages 35 to 48, 10 girls and 2 guys.  We began working some basic skills and worked on getting a proper stroke as we all lacked that.  The goal of the class was to work for three months together and then finish with entering a local race.  Well, the group really gelled and we have all become great friends, so much so that we began getting together to paddle on days that we didn’t have practice.  The class got popular around the shop and more people wanted in.  When our class finished, we stood around wondering what we would do next…
The name of the class was called Precision Paddleboard’s Paddle Academy.  So, our group became PACE (Paddle Academy Continuing Education) and the new classes are still known as Paddle Academy.  Our group now helps with recruitment for Paddle Academy and we also show up at some of their practices to help coach and encourage.  When they graduate…yes, we actually have graduation parties, they are invited to join PACE.  Pace does only two practices a week, but we work on more advanced stuff like sprints, passing drills, drafting, ocean runs when the water is rough, etc.  We also do a lot of group paddles as well where we bring the kids and either put them on spare boards, or pile them on their parent’s boards and off we go.
The Precision Ohana has grown to such lengths that the shop has gotten us a tent for events, race jerseys, and hats.  We get a discount at the store, and we help with supporting races that the shop puts on, fund raising, etc.  We are mainly recreational racers as we have to work real jobs and can’t put in the time to get in serious shape like the elite racers, but we are getting known in our area and we do appeal to those that are regular guy paddlers, looking for a supportive group that attends races, is always working on improving our skills, and does several group outings every month.  Not long ago we entered 15 racers in a local fundraiser race for breast cancer.  We entered 3 five man teams, dressed up in pink, the girls had on tutus, and put out a call for names of people of any type of cancer: survivors, those fighting, and those who have passed, and we raced in their honor.  We covered our boards in stickers with all of the names on them.  It was a huge hit and meant a lot to a LOT of people.  Our teams took 1st, 3rd, and 4th in the event…not too shabby.  As a group, we have also set up seminars with a local paddle coach Mike Metzger and even attended one by Dave Kalama. 
This all works for us because our shop looked at the real demographic for the sport, which is mainly 30 to 50 years old, looking to tour, fitness paddle, or casual racing and built their shop around that.  It’s not a typical surf shop filled with clothing, skateboards, etc…it’s geared toward what we need.  We supported it, and it has supported us.  I would target your local shop that “gets it”, and see if they want to become involved.  Many members of our group do not yet own a board, so the shop makes a little money on the class fees, and the equipment rentals (which are drastically reduced), and the students/ members typically end up eventually buying all of their gear and boards at the shop at some point.  Our shop put the commitment into it, and it eventually comes back due to the loyalty.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:55:29 AM »
Women
Food
Beer.

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:10 AM »
Women
Food
Beer.

CNSKI sums it up pretty well!

In addition to those three, just people to paddle/train with.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:26:32 AM »
I would never consider any club that would have me as a member ;D

(I know, I need some new material...)

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »
 I'm so surprised that the industry does not even try to encourage  people my age to get into the sport.
       I've told every SUP retailer I can find they're leaving money on the table by not bringing  seniors into the sport. Here's a group with the time and money to enjoy  this sport who will also bring their children and grandchildren in.

As for the thread topic,  I joined our local surf club this year, http://carolinacoastsurfclub.org  not a SUP club but we have a website and a beachcam, lots of actiivities.   Had a ding clinic   at a shop last month.  ACtually more activities than I'm up for.

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
Down here in South Florida, we have several paddlers in their 60s and one in his 70's that compete in some of the races.  I am 43, and all of those guys have kicked my ass in those races...actually, they have kicked most of the racers asses as they usually finish in the top third of the overall finishers
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
Down here in South Florida, we have several paddlers in their 60s and one in his 70's that compete in some of the races.  I am 43, and all of those guys have kicked my ass in those races...actually, they have kicked most of the racers asses as they usually finish in the top third of the overall finishers
We have the time to train on a daily basis. I paddle anywhere from 3.5 to 7 miles several times a week. I use my TRX training when I'm not paddling. As you mentioned we have the time AND the money.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
Rub it in!  LOL
2013 Laird Bark Race 14

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
C'mon Bean

I thought you would be the perfect president of NJ SUP Club

What do you think? I'll support it/you

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Jim, you are the de-facto NJ SUP, Chairman of the Board, you just might not know it yet.  Looking forward to seeing you at the January 5th Freezin for a Reason Paddle-race at Vetnor Heights!

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:22:37 AM »
I started a meet up group named Aloha Paddlers that welcomes people of all ages (especially aging boomers with time and money)
to join for paddles on flat water every Sat 10am at the Carlsbad lagoon 4500 Bayshore Dr.  Open ocean paddles are also available upon completion of skills assessment.  http://www.meetup.com/AlohaStandUpPaddle/events/94706192/?gj=wc1d_e&a=wc1d_gnl&rv=wc1d_e&_af_eid=94706192&_af=event
Aloha,
Tom English

Crunchy_Bob

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
I would never consider any club that would have me as a member ;D

(I know, I need some new material...)
i've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
You've been watching too much Three Stooges! ;D  as if that were possible...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal