Author Topic: Dremel, Wax or remove pad?  (Read 6526 times)

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Dremel, Wax or remove pad?
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
Hi All,

I picked up a 2010/2011 9'3" JP-Australia (the yellow and red one) Problem I have with it is the stock deck pad does not provide much grip. In fact it almost feels slippery.

I have done a bunch of searches and reviewed all the suggested techniques for removing deck pads. Most seem to think it is a pain in the A** while others seem to have very little issue. Top rated removal techniques seem to involve some combo of the following: Mineral Spirits, Goo Gone, WD-40, heat gun, scraper.

After reading the threads on removal - I am thinking about leaving that as a last resort.

My thought is to take a Dremel to the pad and make some crisscross lines or random groove spots. I don't think I can make it come out too pretty but I do think I could add some texture and thus increase the grip. Did a test on a scrap piece. It was difficult to keep the same pressure, resulting in varying depths of groove. Also, hard to make a straight line with the sander attachment.

I am concerned that by doing this that a couple of things may happen:

• That the pad will take on water by cutting into the top layer. Not sure if it's closed cell or not, so this may not matter.
  • That if it doesn't work to create enough traction that it will make it a REAL nightmare to get the pad off easily. I could see the pad breaking up into small pieces as it is pulled off thus adding to the labor of removal.

Alternatively, I could just wax the pad a bit. Does anyone do this?

or

Should I just suck it up and remove the pad?

Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Dremel, Wax or remove pad?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
If its stuck down the same as Naish (from same factory?) it's easy to remove. A metal paint scrapper under one edge, pull and peal. No gummy residue. It's glued with some hard and crusty cement. Tear off, then lightly sand and its ready for the new pad.

Beware the new pad will need to cover 100% of the area taken by the old. Boards are usually not finished nicely under the pad. Cheaper to build that way.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks DW!

I am thinking it may just be safer to remove it and not chance making it harder to remove later.

Interesting note about the finish potentially not being as nice under the factory pad. I was considering removing it and trying wax for a bit. Then again not sure I want the mess of wax all over everything.

5'10
175 lbs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:01:29 PM by 808 »

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »
Mineral Spirits.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=12215.0

Thanks 808 -

I found that article in my searches. I checked every thread that had mineral spirits, acetone, Goo Gone, etc etc....on here and on Seabreeze.

I believe more people should do searches before they just post a question...most times it has been answered already. LOL!!

I was just curious about peoples thoughts on the Dremel idea.

Think I am leaning towards just pealing this crap pad off.
5'10
175 lbs

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
I've tried heat, solvents and scraping and in my case, scraping with a Bosch multi-tool with a straight scraper blade, followed by light sanding to 220 grit, gave the best results. 

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
 Do you really like the board if so go for the new pad, no matter it's a big pain in the ass job to put a new pad on. I would just try wax first and ride the board a few times to see if you like it.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »
No Problem Salt. I happen to be researching the same thing. I have a board that I want to remove the pad on and was going to try the mineral spirits trick. The deck pad I ordered never showed up so I have not tired it yet. lol

I was thinking to wrap it in saran wrap with the towels soaked in MS and leave it over night.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
The Multi-tool is the way to go. I took off 7' of pad in about 15 min. No residue. Used the smooth curved chisel with a low angle, and ran it back and forth switching the leading edge. Any residue just comes off completely with the chisel. This tool rips!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »
The Multi-tool is the way to go. I took off 7' of pad in about 15 min. No residue. Used the smooth curved chisel with a low angle, and ran it back and forth switching the leading edge. Any residue just comes off completely with the chisel. This tool rips!

Now that kick A**

I wish I knew someone locally with one. I will see if I can find one to rent.
I did find a few on CL...might be worth the investment.

Thanks TallDude.
5'10
175 lbs

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »
never tried it but it might be worth a shot - how about warming up a metal rod and using a steel ruler using it to draw and melt a cross hatch pattern into it. obviously you would want to do it some where with good ventilation ect

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

I would caution against the heat gun. If you are just a little careless it can melt the foam inside the board and lead to really bad long term problems.

Excessive use of mineral spirit can soften the paint / finish. It should not be a huge issue though.

I think DW has the solution..., then depending on how it is glued on use mineral spirit to take off residue.

One thing I would try before is to roughen up the pad a bit. and maybe try to put something on the pad....I mean if you already have decided to take off the pad it doesn't really matter what happens to it right?

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
If you have any residue left this stuff works like nothing else and doesn't hurt the gelcoat like acetone or mineral spirits.

Of course it is banned in a few US states. Details.

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
I do not know much about  mineral spirits what if the board was not painted on the outside. ie custom boards that are just epoxy would it hurt it ?

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
Well I got fed up today after trying the board one last time.

I put the dremel to it but it does not seem to be creating enough grip.

Decided to see if the pad would be one of the "easy" ones to get off or not...It is not!!! Sh*t!!!

Looks like I am going to be making a trip to Home Depot to get either some 3M spray or some mineral spirits.

This is going to suck!!!

Thanks for all the advice. Thank goodness there are no waves. LOL!!
5'10
175 lbs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal