Author Topic: What are the odds of a SUP board being damaged in shipment?  (Read 8260 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What are the odds of a SUP board being damaged in shipment?
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
Just curious about shipping experiences.  I have had three boards shipped to me.  First two had not a scratch.  12' and 12 ' 6".  The last one was a 14 footer and came in with damage (Fed Ex) was refused by me and shipped back to the seller and was damaged even worse on the way back, because Fed Ex did not repack it right and beat it up so bad it was totaled.  I am now having the seller send me a replacement 14 footer and I am wondering what my chances are of getting an undamaged board.  Anyone have any shipping advice?  Who to use, how to package?         
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: What are the odds of a SUP board being damaged in shipment?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
I would say one in ten. Race boards more likely do to size . A board all by itself more likely to be damaged than with a pack of boards. NSP packs the best box. They make special nose and tail cones. Surftech and Naish have wimpy boxes so we have had the most damage with them.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »
one in 10 is about right.  I'd say 20% of those sustain damage at the factory and are shipped anyways.  I've had pristine boxes with damaged boards

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
If not packed well I would say 100% chance of damage.  Lots of bubble wrap and double boxed and nose and tail extra cone boxed then little to no chance of damage.  So package and forklift use have everything to do with your chances.

Good luck Chuck

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
You will do better using freight shipping companies over door to door outfits like UPS and Fed Ex.  If you are close enough to the airport to pick it up at the freight terminal for the shipping company, you avoid some cost and also reduce the odds of damage on the last leg of the trip, where I suspect a lot of it happens.  I've shipped a few boards using Pilot Freight with great results.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
In my experience... Very high.. If a board arrives undamaged it's a good reason to go out and buy a lotto ticket because it must be your lucky day..  ;D

DJ

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »
Very high with door 2 door delivery, much higher than 10%.

Now most of us here opt to not have the board delivered at home, we phone in advance the transport company that we will do the trip to the local depot ourselves so we both minimize the damage risks to less than 10%, and have all the time to unwrap the board and report any damage.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:38:08 AM »
I have read on line that the statistical probability of an item getting damaged in shipment is 10% and if crated, it drops to 1%.  I would think that something a unwieldy as a paddleboard might be damaged more frequently.  But, for the sake of discussion, let's say it is a 10% probability.  So, what then is the statistical probability of damage to each of two shipped boards.  That would be  .10 X .10 = .01 or 1%.  Well, my first board was damaged in transit, so they are sending me another and double boxing it.  Should I feel good that my statistical chances are now much better and that they are boxing it better?  Or am I just doomed and trying to reason my way out of it?   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:55:19 AM »
You read correctly our board ship double boxed if they are big like Raceboards and thus fall into "crated" catagory. You should be sure your shipper double boxes boards that size
Good luck

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
As others have said:
- Have it "double boxed" (I do this on every board I ship out)
- Use a freight company - not a courier.
- Have the shipper take it to the trucking company depot - and you pick it up from the depot closest to you (this is the only way I ship)
- Multiple board shipments are "safer" - so buy a bunch.  ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:15:31 AM »
Having received and sent hundreds of boards from China and Thailand I'd tend to disagree with above numbers...I've had 2 damaged boards in my 3 years in the business....

Crap...I might just have jinxed my shipment arriving next week....

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »
I have read on line that the statistical probability of an item getting damaged in shipment is 10% and if crated, it drops to 1%.  I would think that something a unwieldy as a paddleboard might be damaged more frequently.  But, for the sake of discussion, let's say it is a 10% probability.  So, what then is the statistical probability of damage to each of two shipped boards.  That would be  .10 X .10 = .01 or 1%.  Well, my first board was damaged in transit, so they are sending me another and double boxing it.  Should I feel good that my statistical chances are now much better and that they are boxing it better?  Or am I just doomed and trying to reason my way out of it?   

Your probability would be the same (10% chance) for each event.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
Double boxing is the way to go or pallet stack like Bic does. The double box weighs almost twice as much.
 Race boards like have there own zip code and they are tough to move like a house. They just get no respect bouncing around inside truck with TVs and stair masters.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
ya id say more like 40%...

Downwinder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
If you freight your SUP by Airplane or Ship no problem it will be fully covered by the freight company's insurance just make shore you unpack your SUP in front of Customs to be safe of any damages. I have a 17ft custom SIC f16  a custom 17'6'' SIC Bullet a custom 18'6'' SIC f18 all freighted at different times from Maui to Australia by Airplane and Ship with not a scratch. In 2008 I brought a f16 back with me with Air New Zealand, I even phoned Air New Zealand asking them is it OK to take a 16ft f16 with me on the plane e.g. book it in like a normal surfboard. Air New Zealand said (no problem) I said (sweet) when I boarded at Honolua Airport I tell ya what a s##T fight! anyway I got my 16ft f16 on the flight! when I got of in Brisbane Airport I took the 16ft f16 out of the bag infront of Customs and the f16 was damaged like f##k. So I took Air New Zealand to court and sued  them UNDER DUTY OF CARE got all my money back STOKED I then got the f16 fixed and some pore bugger brought it from WA and I hear the f16 leaks like f##k.   

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard