Author Topic: Downwind in Sayulita or Punta de Mita  (Read 3510 times)

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
Downwind in Sayulita or Punta de Mita
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:36 AM »
Has anyone done the open ocean downwind by Punta Mita Expeditions in Sayulita Mexico. I'm heading there over christmas and want to get a sense of what it is like.

Thanks!
Ride for life!

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind in Sayulita or Punta de Mita
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
 Wife and I will be staying at Grand Palladium in Punta Mitas Mx Jan 26th thru Feb 2nd, 2013... We go there to wave-sup but never thought about down-winders there. I'm sure you could as I've seen those afternoon winds get up around 20 to 25mph on some days...     Paddle on;    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
JD,

Do you have any good SUP surf recommendations for the Sayulita, Punta de Mita area? I've surfed there before but I've never surfed on an SUP......I'm stoked to give it a try but want to get a sense of a good wave to try it on.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Ride for life!

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:14:06 PM »
 We stay at Grand Palladium Resort because it overlooks Punta Burros (one of the most consistant breaks in the whole area). Rent our sups from David Cunnison at Coral Reef Surf Shop in Bucerias. He brings them out to you and leaves them till the end of your trip; then he comes and picks them up. Has some Blairs, and other mods by Boardworks. Last May I rented a 7S Uberfish that was like 7'10X32" and liked it pretty well and Deb used a 9'4 Walden that was real nice...  I would love to have one of my 8'11 Exocet Fish sups with me but the airline we use won't take them.       Paddle on;      JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

JL Rider

• Waikiki Status
  • Ride for life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »
I hear ya, it's tough enough to get my 7'6" fun board down there let alone trying to run with an 11footer. This is my 2nd time to Sayulita and I have not been to Punta Burros yet so thanks for that recommendation, I'll try to check it out for sure. Have you gone a little further north and surfed Sayulita beach yet? Its got a really nice R and a good L that breaks if the swell is up a bit. I spent 2 weeks on that break in 2008 and loved it.....all though I anticipate it's gonna be crazy crowded over the christmas season.

Too bad you're going a few weeks after us or I would say we should paddle out together!!

If I try the downwinder I'll let you know if it's worthwhile.

JL Rider
Ride for life!

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Downwind in Sayulita or Punta de Mita
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »
If the swell is good in punta mita ,  surf out in front at El anclote or stinky's.  However the best place close with out hiring a boat is at la launcha.  You can drive there and park (opens at 7am) or its a 20 to 30 minute paddle down from restaurant row in mita. ( 2 km)  towards pvr.  It's a really nice flat rock reef. 

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal