Author Topic: 12'6 or 14'? I'm looking for opinions and input.....  (Read 10148 times)

tulipcity paddle

12'6 or 14'? I'm looking for opinions and input.....
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
So I bought a Riviera Voyager this summer and have really enjoyed it'. I like it's stability and ease of use for a wide range of people that get to play on it. But I am ready to move up in board performance. I recently did several down wind runs  in Holmes Beach, Florida. A couple runs were in 2 - 4 footers with a variable 10-20 mph breeze. The Voyager handled pretty well, considering it was my first time paddling in any waves with it, I felt like I did ok. I was paddling  about 8 miles down the gulf side of Anna Maria island. While I'm out there I began to think about my next board purchase. For paddling mild lake Michigan and Gulf of Mexico conditions,  as well as inland lakes and waterways, which board type and size would be most versatile ? I have concerns about a 14 foot board being too long for riding and swells in lake Michigan, because they are closer together than in the gulf.
The board's I have been considering  are all 12'6" .....Amundsen TR, Starboard Pierce touring and  as well as  Jimmy Lewis and Hobie.

Is there a big difference in performance between the 2 sizes?  I would like it to be relatively fast in calm water, as well as stable and able to catch a "glide " in some swells in bigger water. I

I am 6'4"  tall and about 225 lbs. I have pretty good balance, but don't want to go much skinnier than 29" wide.

Thanks for reading.

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12'6 or 14'? I'm looking for opinions and input.....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:17 PM »
At your size stick with a 14' unless you go with a higher volume 12'6" such as the Starboard Race 12'6" x 29.5" at 277 liters of volume.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
I really think at your size you should go with the 14'.  Just will seem more suite to your height and weight. 

Have fun, Jill

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
I agree, 14 for your size

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
Thanks! The search begins for a 14'er then..... better plow a few extra driveways this winter..... :)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
If you are serious about Lake MI downwind runs you need a good 14'.  Maybe a 12'6 like the Jimmy Lewis Albatross, but I would dismiss that in a moment for my 14 glide or BlkBox 14 race, which makes a great coastal cruiser.  We have even been playing with longer than 14' boards for downwinders, but I still believe the 14' length is ideal.

Have fun finding that next board!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
If you are serious about Lake MI downwind runs you need a good 14'.  Maybe a 12'6 like the Jimmy Lewis Albatross, but I would dismiss that in a moment for my 14 glide or BlkBox 14 race, which makes a great coastal cruiser.  We have even been playing with longer than 14' boards for downwinders, but I still believe the 14' length is ideal.

Have fun finding that next board!

Thanks. I had been figuring that 14er would be the most suggested....I just had concerns about wether the longer board would pearl quicker....if I ever catch a wave..... :)

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »

Thanks. I had been figuring that 14er would be the most suggested....I just had concerns about wether the longer board would pearl quicker....if I ever catch a wave..... :)
[/quote]

Look at the Starboard Coast Runner 14' (carbon). It has a nose that won's pearl easily and it's a quick board that excels when it gets rough.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:46 AM »
The Coast Runner is an excellent choice too.  The two production 14s I would look at for our conditions TCP would be the Glide 14 or Coast Runner 14.  I would not consider the Bark expedition 14, though it's not been mentioned.  I find it to be slower to get on a wave. 

Purling the nose is not too big a problem and is best controlled by stepping back Im the board at the right moments more so than shortening board length.  This summer they cancelled the Chicago Shoreline Marathon due to big surf and high winds.  So instead of racing that morning we surfed.  We had surf style boards but I also surfed the 14 coast runner and my BlkBox 14 race board, which has one of the more knife-like, pulled in noses you will see on a raceboard.  Just trim those suckers out by getting on the tail at the right time.  I'm 6'2 and usually about 190 lbs.

The Starboard rep is in Chicago with a Coastrunner and he travels through pretty often and will be around again soon.  I have a 14 glide.  If you are in Holland there could be a pretty easy opportunity for demos.  The Outpost has a bark expedition 14 for demos and maybe a quick.sale, they've had it a couple years.  It's not nearly nimble enough for performance butt you'll find it more initially stable than the Glide.  My BlkBox 14 is in Detroit, but would be neat to try for comparison.  If you won't be in downwind swell much bigger than 6' it's actually the best choice for me.  I have had the glide 14 way offshore on days the forecasts called 12-14' and it.was a.fricken riot.  Victory at sea conditions.  Purling wasn't an issue. 
Blkbox Surf

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »
In looking back at your question I see you indicate a desire to go no narrower than 29".  Is that limitation a balance concern or a volume concern?

If you are going to be able to get out there and paddle regularly I would encourage you to not limit yourself at that width.  It depends on your paddling style (do you stay after it and maintain speed or regularly chill during paddles?).  Momentum always seems to help with stability.

I'm pretty fired up about the potential for great downwinders here in the great lakes.  I could help get you on the glide, coast runner, a BlkBox or expedition if you are interested.  Even though I say to rule out the expedition, at your size and with your desire to stay around 29" you may find you like it. 
Blkbox Surf

tulipcity paddle

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:51 AM »
In looking back at your question I see you indicate a desire to go no narrower than 29".  Is that limitation a balance concern or a volume concern?

If you are going to be able to get out there and paddle regularly I would encourage you to not limit yourself at that width.  It depends on your paddling style (do you stay after it and maintain speed or regularly chill during paddles?).  Momentum always seems to help with stability.

I'm pretty fired up about the potential for great downwinders here in the great lakes.  I could help get you on the glide, coast runner, a BlkBox or expedition if you are interested.  Even though I say to rule out the expedition, at your size and with your desire to stay around 29" you may find you like it. 

Wanting to stay with 29" is more of a stability concern. I have pretty good balance, but do like to just stand around once in a while. Most of my "serious" paddling is done alone, because I haven't had time to get with any other paddlers here locally.....plus I'm no where near ready to paddle with guys like your self or Jim andte guys from the Outpost. I have been considering the Naish boards, because I have been a fan Robbie Naish for many years. But I also want to buy from local store.

Have you seen the 14 Amundsen? Thoughts on that board? The outpost is an Amundsen dealer.

I

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:35 AM »
Wet Mitten in Grand Haven has a 12'6 Naish Glide for sale for less than 1000 and a 14' NSP for less than $1000.  I think they still have them anyway, last year demo boards but in good shape.

I didn't think of these in my earlier reply but they would be well worth checking out, especially for the price.  if you go in there it would be cool if you told the owner Ben that you heard about it from Rob.  I don't get anything for that but I would want him to know the referral.  I think Wet Mitten is a great store.

I do not know about the 14 Amundson.  Scott at Sailsport in Traverse City might have one.

For the price on those Wet Mitten boards I would check them out.
Blkbox Surf

sailsport1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • sailsportmarine.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »
I've got a Coast Runner 14 AST on sale here at Sailsport in TC. Also have a Hoble 14. Both are awesome boards - the Coast Runner better in rougher conditions. We also have a SB All Star 14 on order.
Sailsport Marine
Traverse City, MI 49684

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
Hi
I'm a big guy too (6'2 280#) things work different for us big guys particularly DW
In short frequency waves it is not that the 14 pearls but that "Yawls" in other words the nose catches on the wave in front and tacks the board right or left making you fall off the glide wave
For the past 3 yrs I've found the Fanatic Fly 12'6 a real fun DW board here in NJ (short frequency wind swell/chop the high volume makes it glide the added width keeps you on it and efficient and the tail (big square) and rocker keeps it under control
The last thing that is SUPER critical for big guys is STIFFNESS and staying such Again Fanatics construction is beyond reproach and has been so for almost 40 yrs Some of the ones mentioned are lacking stiffness

Price wise Fanatic is very competitive
I will be retesting a Fanatic Falcon 14' X 30" over Christmas so I'll have further insight after that

An axiom that works well for guys our size
"Boards less than 30" wide are more work than fun"
Email or PM me if you have more specific questions
JimK

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
I bought a 2012 Glide 14' this past summer and I absolutely love it.  I'm 6'3" 240 and I too was concerned about the issues of stability because its 27.25 wide....no issues at all.  At first it seemed real narrow and tippy, but after a paddle or two it felt totally normal.  I think the 14' length is ideal for any type of DW conditions (short or long period), but in short period you want something w/ a bit of rocker to keep the nose out of the water or the wave in front of you...the Glide has the rocker also.  That would be my choice if I had to do it over again, but then again, I'm not too familiar with all the similar boards out there and to go along w/ Jim K, I've heard great things about the Fanatics also..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:34:19 AM by crtraveler »
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal