Author Topic: Actually "how does the line-up work" ?  (Read 7252 times)

jonysan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Actually "how does the line-up work" ?
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
I've been following the threads about "etiquette"  when surfing, and especially amongst prone surfers.
I read comments referring to how you need to know how the "line up" works

how does it work ?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Actually "how does the line-up work" ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
It's a bit different at every spot and sometimes different from day to day depending upon conditions and who is out.

In a perfect world we would all wait our turn at the peak but the laws of supply and demand makes this impossible.  The result is that a pecking order develops which can take a long time, in addition to the display of serious skill, to penetrate.

The best way to ease into a crowded line up is to paddle out with a regular on a light day and take your surfing seriously.  If you start missing waves, you will get dropped in on.   If you miss a wave, back to end of the line for you... ;D

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »
Sometimes  by the  kaos theory sometimes  not mostly like this  , some people sit inside usually short boarders and undersized long boarders all though sometimes sups too.  alot of smaller non " set waves go by some people get a lot of waves while waiting for sets,. Then a set will come through.  if the peak is very consistent like over a reef or the set is not shifted by windswell  then there will be a few who read the wave well and take it , if  it  is  a respectful group people will usually call out left or right , while this is happening the people who are inside start to paddle out sometimes if they are assholes they will turn and jam right in front of you. and snake you or you can run them over, or  make sure they know you are coming down the line. 

many time the younger crowd who haven't learned proper etiquette will try to paddle in front of you . THIS IS WRONG  because often you have  1 of 2 choices run them down or  stop your ride.

Many of the inside folks get cleaned up and caught inside ( note I sit outside)  I usually wait till a couple of waves go by and then  pick one. some guys who are much better than I am will try to snag 2 waves or more form a set.  I run the ride to almost the shore then wait and paddle out after the set.

the person on the peak has the right of way and get first  choice on direction usually sometime  guys get up early then fade in one direction and cut back the the other, while this is fun it is uncool on a crowded day as it  usually costs some one else  a wave in that  they can't drop in the direction the first faded before cutting back.

so its mostly a  variable of these and when you add a few people with attitude some youngsters and kooks.  well  you  see why I call it Kaos theory.  one more thing whenever a bigger swell hits on a holiday in summer you can pretty much guarantee that  the water will be filled with kooks that haven't surfed in years, you  can usually tell theses guys by the faded boards, or the boards with  some sort of fad ( like square noses) than haven't  been around for years.

At least that is my perspective.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
You will find plenty of "official" rules guides on the web,
- http://www.surfinghandbook.com/knowledge/surfing-etiquette/
- http://www.srosurf.com/rules.html
- http://www.leucadiasurfschool.com/Surf_Ettiquette.html

but I would also point to this video, which give plenty of sound advice, for all spots (well, maybe not the pat about losing your knuckles on the reef while duckdiving :-)
A video to save surfers from themselves.

Specific to SUP, also the famous "Kook or Kool?" http://www.paddlesurfhawaii.com/kook-or-kool/

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
As a beginner:
Go to easy, beginner friendly breaks only.
Watch for friendly folks that seem to know what they are doing.
Talk to them… ask questions
Stay at beginner breaks until you are a competent surfer.
-------------------------------------------------
Surf Etiquette is basic common sense respect.
Don’t get in the way
Don’t be a wave hog
Never drop in on anyone (take a wave that is already being ridden)
Don't do anything that will screw up the wave for the surfer riding it.

Right of way goes to the surfer riding the wave….
   Do whatever you have to get out of their way.
*****Surfing is always about the surfer… never about the person paddling out.
Wave priority goes to the 1st surfer up on the wave
   Closest to the hook in case of a tie.

Having said that… reality is
The best surfers get all the waves they want...
   Everyone else gets the scraps
The locals always get priority…
----------------------------------------------------
It is up to you to find your way into the mix at any break.
It is a highly charged environment. Very “Alpha” dog at good breaks
It will take all your powers of observation, courtesy and firm resolve to successfully navigate the lineup.

And it NEVER ends…. Every lineup… every day…all day….you have to continually earn your place.

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
As a beginner:
Go to easy, beginner friendly breaks only.
Watch for friendly folks that seem to know what they are doing.
Talk to them… ask questions
Stay at beginner breaks until you are a competent surfer.
-------------------------------------------------
Surf Etiquette is basic common sense respect.
Don’t get in the way
Don’t be a wave hog
Never drop in on anyone (take a wave that is already being ridden)
Don't do anything that will screw up the wave for the surfer riding it.

Right of way goes to the surfer riding the wave….
   Do whatever you have to get out of their way.
*****Surfing is always about the surfer… never about the person paddling out.
Wave priority goes to the 1st surfer up on the wave
   Closest to the hook in case of a tie.

Having said that… reality is
The best surfers get all the waves they want...
The locals always get priority…
----------------------------------------------------
It is up to you to find your way into the mix at any break.
It is a highly charged environment. Very “Alpha” dog at good breaks
It will take all your powers of observation, courtesy and firm resolve to successfully navigate the lineup.

And it NEVER ends…. Every lineup… every day…all day….you have to continually earn your place.

That is all well stated.  Especially this part - "The best surfers get all the waves they want...
The locals always get priority."

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
All good advice, learn it, live it. But..........you did not paddle out to sit around and watch other guys surf. This is where a delicate balance come in. After you are good at catching waves, if you are in the right position and you feel you have a very good chance of catching the wave, go for it. If you let the others intimidate you, you'll never get a wave.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
The term 'line up' doesn't actually apply here!

I hear loads of folk talking about the line up..........On a beach break! There is no such thing!

You generally get a line up or otherwise known in the yachting world, the correct term is a 'transit', on a reef or point.

You get a transit by lining up one or more points, like a hill, headland, tree  or lighthouse, so you can get back to the exact same spot after each wave. There is usually only a line up on a reef or point.. That's when you get problems. On a critical reef the line up/take off zone may only be a few square meters or less.

So, there is a 'line up' out there even if there is nobody in the water...

A line up isn't about getting in line to catch a wave.

The best chaps get the most waves because they understand their transits, so are always deeper, therefore to catch a wave would usually mean dropping in on them.

Local or not, if I'm deeper than a  'local', I'm going....because I lined myself up better than he/her :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:17:18 PM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
Very true, but at some breaks, line up not only describes the best take off spot but may also refer to the actual surfers in a particular line up.  And, triangulation is sometimes referred to in the plural sense, as line up(s). 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
So, I bet by now that you are now total confused. Yogi Berra once said, "you can observe a lot by just watching". True dat.

I'd suggest you spend some time observing what happens at the lineup /break you plan on joining. See who are getting all the waves, who aren't, where are they sitting while waiting for a set, and where do they paddle to when a set is coming, are they aggressive or not, etc.
Good luck.

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
how does it work ?

Generally speaking, it doesn't.  8 years as an ocean lifeguard, and 15+ surfing, swimming, SUPing, diving, etc. and for the most part, you deal with each line-up as its own beast... 

The best advice is get experience.  Be observant.  See what good surfers/paddlers are doing and copy them.  Be respectful, but not overly passive... the biggest problem I've come across involve anyone (SUPer, surfer, bodyboarder, swimmer) who has little experience. 

I can handle any/most line-ups.  Just started surfing Cardiff reef 2 or 3 weeks ago (office is up here now).  Most SUPs are outside and on the shoulder of surfers.  I can see why surfers hate this.  They end up paddling from the outside for inside waves, and proceed to drop in ruining any chance at a clean wave for the surfer who was in good position, or they have to weave through a tight pack of surfers who are trying to avoid a set (and SUP) on the head.  I tend to either (A) sit inside the surfers, but on the peak - this way I paddle for waves they can't catch on short boards, and nobody gets upset I'm taking "their" wave; or (B) sit outside surfers, and again, on the peak... but, actually wait for an "outside" wave.  Most surfers will be scrambling and duck-diving and have no chance on those waves, regardless.  Whatever you do, don't combine a session going between choice (A) and (B), unless you want to be despised. 

So far, lots of stink-eye, lots of hoots, but never a hassle.... 

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »
^
On a good day at The Reef, the South peak will be working and that's where I hang out. It takes a lot of paddle power even on a Sup to catch the waves, so rarely will you ever see longboarders at that spot. Smaller days, the middle peak and Suck Outs will be rideable, then I wait my turn.

jonysan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Thanks guys
Thank you for your replies, I've been Sup surfing for about five years, and do all the Kook Or Kool stuff, not sure that I give "respect" just because someones on a prone board, but i do realise that lots of the local guys at the beach where I often ride, have been surfing for many years , and they have there "spot" where the best waves are, and they're fairly protective of it, even from other prone guys, so most Sup ers stay on the next peak which is nearly as good.
We don't really have a line-up there, like most of you have said, it's about being considerate, but not too passive. giving away a few, hooting when someone (sup or prone) rides well, I've even paddled up to prone guys who were accidently about to drop in on me, and backed off, paddled up and said "if I'm on a wave, don't worry, just go, I'll cutback and go the other way!.             it's not a big deal, it's not Pipeline
It's good that at most spots, there doesn't seem to be a regimented Line-up, but more a loose "pecking order" that self regulates, hopefully without idiots shouting "my wave, my wave". And allows learners/newbies/whatever a chance to progress, maybe even get some advise from the better guys,   in a perfect world!!!

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal