Author Topic: Black Friday Paddle with Fellow Zoner  (Read 4059 times)

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Black Friday Paddle with Fellow Zoner
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »
I can't think of a better way to spend Black Friday than paddling with Don and fellow Zoner Ichabod Spoonbill.  Ichabod was up in my neck of the woods visiting family.

We ventured out on the Hudson River to brave the biggest waves and strongest winds I've SUP'd in.  The plan was to paddle upwind as far as we could (given the strong head wind), then do a downwinder.  Gusts were so strong at times that I couldn't get enough forward momentum to keep the wind and my paddle stroke from turning me sideways.  Ichabod, a strong paddler, was pulling away and Don was at least able to make forward progress.  I decided to try to make myself small, got on my knees and choked up on the paddle.  It worked!  I was able to gain ground.  We took a break and paddled in the glassy water of a small stream, then went back to the Hudson for our downwinder.  What a blast! 

We went into another small stream for some more flat water paddling, then braved the river crossing again to our cars.  All three of us went 'swimming' in the 42 degree water.  The temperature wasn't as shocking as I expected, but Don and I were told that we stunk when we dropped by a friend's store on the way home.  What fun!  Thanks Ichabod for a great paddle.

Here are a couple of photos.  For more, visit http://www.pbase.com/j_harvey/paddling_fall_2012. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Black Friday Paddle with Fellow Zoner
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
I had a great time paddling with you guys. It's occurred to me that as this sport develops, there will be pockets if people learning SUP by themselves. I was like that too for a while. It's great that we have the Zone. I was really glad to meet new people too. We have a small community on the lower Hudson but I'm alone when I paddle in the Albany area.

Yesterday was my record for cold water: 42 F. Funny thing is that it doesn't 't feel so cold when you've got a good wetsuit on.

This was also the first time I paddled with people who were exclusively on displacement boards. We favor all-arounds by NYC, I guess because surfing is a real option, but those flatwater boards were kicking my ass. Usually I'm one of the fastest paddlers in my group, but not this time. Thanks for the compliment about being a strong paddler, though!

I look forwards to conquering the Mohawk soon!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
Nice guys... that sound great.
Thanks for the pics... you know me... I like the side creek excursions ;)

Wetsuits work! If anything you get hot paddling in them.

ADKSUPr

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:44:42 AM »
It is great to have the Zone as it is my only portal to others who SUP.  Ichabod is the first person I've met who owns a SUP (other than my husband) and it was great to paddle with with someone who had more experience than we had.   I expect we'll start to see more SUPers around here as a shop in Lake George carries SUPs. 

After Friday's paddle with the wind and waves, I'm thinking that it would be fun some day to do a 'downwinder' from Henry Hudson Park to the Corning Preserve, about 6 miles upstream.  We've also got about a 4 mile stretch on the Mohawk that can get windy and wavy and could be fun for a 'downwinder', but it doesn't get as windy/wavy as the Hudson.

I look forward to paddling with you again Ichabod!

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 04:29:50 AM »
Sweet! Love that waterfall. Glad you got to meet up. Hey Ich, just got my first displacement after over 2 years on an allrounder. Game changer (as you found out)!!! Save your pennies. You'll be glad you did!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard