Author Topic: Annual Costa Rica Winter Trip Thread  (Read 13310 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Annual Costa Rica Winter Trip Thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
OK - once again.... who's heading down to CR this winter?  What are your plans?  Jetblue from JFK to Liberia is at $386 RT...not bad w/ $50 SUP fees...
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Annual Costa Rica Winter Trip Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
I Am! I'm heading down to Nosara, never been so i'm pretty excited... I'm attending the SUP Surf Camp with Dave Boehne from Infinity... There are a few spots left in the camp maybe more zoners want to partake??

Here's the link to the info:
http://www.experience-nosara.com/camp/sup-surf-camp-with-dave-boehne/

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
I get into Liberia the evening of Dec. 16th and will be staying until the 28th.  Thinking about the trip south to visit PilonSUP, but still up in the air. 

I'm base camped out of Playas del Coco.  What everyone's plan?

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:13:42 AM »
Sweet guys!!  H20 - where do you stay in Coco?  Brent - you're gonna like Nosara... great SUP waves!  Our plan (right now) is to fly into Liberia 2nd week in Feb, rent a place in Langosta and be there till 2nd week in April...  We will take a few trips down further south I'm sure. 

Pilon - are you still in Dominical or are you back down South again??
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:55:59 AM »
crtraveler, my mother rents a townhome/apt. a few streets off the main drag, same street as the Coco Joya development.  I keep 2 boards there.

This will be my first time flying into Liberia, so I'm happy not to be making the drive from SJose.  I haven't decided whether to rent a car for the whole trip or just for a few days.  Usually, I have a 4x4 by we are just finishing up a stay in Nica and $$ get tight  :)

If you're looking for places in that area, let me know.  My mother is pretty dialed in with who's got what for rent.

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »
Hi crtraveler,we will be back in Pilon full time dec15.
More info will be available on the "zone" in a few weeks.
Pura Vida
Shawn

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Thanks for the offer H20...we'll see what our plans look like when they come together...just checked JetBlue again and we're at $314 for our flights....gotta pull the trigger soon... :o
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

Freedom Riding SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
You guys could also drive south and stay in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa, and come Paddle Board with us.  We are Freedom Riding SUP, here at the end of the road in Mal Pais. We are a hard core SUP company, and cater to all levels. I have a great selection of SUPs to rent, and do guided Tours around the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula. So many great spots to paddle, and great waves to ride with no one around.  I do beginner SUP lessons/tours, and also wave riding clinics for anyone who is ready to start riding waves.
    You can check us out at www.sup-costarica.com.  We also have reviews on Tripadvisor  under "Freedom Riding SUP".   I'm more into helping SUP clients customize their tropical SUP Adventure trip.  Not really planning on doing a full on set Package deal, but rather work directly with clients on making their trip customized to their needs and wants, and it works out cheaper that way.
     Come check us out, you will not be disappointed.
        Bests in 2013!!
          Andy

LongReacher

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Looks like a great spot there Andy!

Got back from Playa Grande recently- didnt sup very much but did some old-style lay down surfing :) and it was great there.  Stayed at Frijoles Locos, awesome awesome people - gonna be hard to not try and go back there every year!

Did rent a board from www.puravidaride.com at Playa Danta (www.puravidaride.com) and loved it there.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »
Glad you had a great time LR...we'll be heading down in less than a month... staying a little south of you in Langosta, but I'm gonna paddle up to Grande all the time!!
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

cb super

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
Andy - can u let me know what wave riding boards you have for rent? I currently sup surf a 7'7 .... So if you have (seems like you may) good wave riding boards, this would be great...so I don't have to bring mine. I am trying to break free in mid Feb to come down... Will only have 5 to 6 days...so not sure if I can make it down your way. Whatis easiest way to get to Mal Pais? Liberia??

Freedom Riding SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
WatSUP CB SUPer. 

I don't currently have that short of a SUP board, but working on it.  I have a friend who has a 7'10 SUP which he might be interested in renting out if you make it down here.  I'm working on getting some smaller SUP boards in the next month, a 8'5 Jerry Lopez  Flexlite,  and a 8'10 Jerry Lopez "Sweetie Pie".  I've been shaping surf boards for over 20 years now, and my main goal this year is to shape some high performance SUP boards in the 7'7 range up to 9'0. I'm working on getting the outline templates, that's all I need at this point, as the rest is easy for me to shape. 

Anyways, getting to Mal Pais from Liberia is about the same as coming from San Jose, especially if you plan on renting a car.  You just drive two hours south from Liberia to Puntarenas, and take the ferry to Paquera (one hour ferry ride), and then one hour drive to Mal Pais. It's a beautiful trip once you get on the ferry, and the Peninsula de Nicoya is just spectacular, and there are so many great spots to SUP out here, you would be blown away.

I'll get back to you about my friends boards, and if he's interested in renting it out. He's not using it much anyways!!! :)     

Pura Vida

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
Starting to get final plans made and wrap up stuff here before we leave in about 3 weeks.  I wanted to make sure that everyone who may be anywhere near Tamarindo looks up Marco at CR sup adventures...Great guy and also a fellow zoner who will take care of whatever you may need SUP related...  stop in and say hello

http://costaricasupadventures.com
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
^ +1
Marco's the man to see in Tamarindo,shapes a mean stick too!

Newbomb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
Starting this thread up again instead of starting a new one. Will be in Playa Grande for 2 days Dec 26-27 and then Nosara Dec 28- Jan 6. Love meeting Zoners on trips. Just checking to see who might be making the trip back to CR.
Salt-less SUPer from the Great Lakes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal