Author Topic: Most dangerous wave on the west coast?  (Read 13832 times)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Most dangerous wave on the west coast?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:09 AM »
 No bueno, S-Dub!  Get well soon so you can paddle on;             JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
That's a great public message announcement Southwesterly, glad you got it under control. 

We are certainly not immune from this on the east coast.  It would appear that anytime we have significant rain fall at the Jersey Shore we experience a big spike in bacteria and toxins especially near sewer outlets.  During the hurricane, circumstances necessitated the pumping-off of untreated sewerage adding to the normal bacteria levels.  This of course is only compounded by the recent high volume runoff from flooded land fills and superfund sites.  Geez, so much for my positive spin...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »
Nasty!....heal well.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
Wow SouthWesterly....7 days in Dominican Hospital....
Warning well taken, here.

I've read many times one is supposed to wait 3 days till after a rain,
especially to surf certain spots near creek/river mouths -
- But who wants to wait if the surf is decent.

I surf Capitola and also Cowell's among other spots in Santa Cruz,
and also Santa Ana River jetties (although not much anymore - to
gnarly for longboard sup) and sometimes Doho in the O.C. which also
has pretty sketchy water but a nice wave -  and I do think about what I've read...especially if I have any open cuts, and especially when you
can obviously see how murky the water is.  

I tell myself well, I'm not really in the water I'm mostly on top of the board!
HA!  Going forward, I'm going to be more careful.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
Thanks everybody for the get well wishes. It's been a week since I've got out of the hospital. I haven't done a thing except to keep my leg elevated and take antibiotics 4 times a day. I am on my way to recovery, but it takes time.

My camper is still packed full of a months worth of camping stuff sitting in my driveway. A constant reminder of a vacation that never was. I owe my life to my friend Kurt who was able to override my pig-headedness and get me back to civilization in time. I can't thank him enough and he has a free lifetime Baja pass with me.

What I did was pretty normal for most guys. I was getting worse by the hour but thought by giving me one more day, somehow I'd get better. This all started because of dry cracked feet (I alway wear flip-flops) that were constantly splitting open and bad timing on paddling out at Capitola after a rain before I left for the border. I have since used some prescription cream that has eaten away 30 years of callouses on the bottom of my feet. Hell, I might even start wearing those dorky half booties that I always made fun of. See everybody back in the water soon. 

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
Haha. Booties rock! Happy healing!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:40:52 AM »
What I did was pretty normal for most guys. I was getting worse by the hour but thought by giving me one more day, somehow I'd get better. This all started because of dry cracked feet
Glad you posted this and a photo so others can see. We are pigheaded especially if having been healthy for the most part. "ahhhh, it's got to get better, how can this be a big issue."
Glad to hear you are recovering well. This is definately not anything to mess with. Very similar for me on my arm a few years back. I was told another day and it would have moved past my arm and into the rest of me. IV drip for a week with antibiotics. Within an hour or so of the start of antibiotics the swelling started to go down. It just started out as a tender spot around the miniscule cut on my elbow it entered. Actually thought it was a pimple or something similar first couple of days.  
Cracking feet and calluses? After a couple of years thinking about it I finally got the courage to go into one of those pedicure shops. I go every 4-8 weeks now. BEST thirty bucks I have ever spent. Years of bad feet so much better. I can run around barefoot like I hadn't been able to in 35 years. The reaction from the women doing the pedicure seeing my feet was definately worth the price of admission even if a bit embarrassing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:45:50 AM by lucabrasi »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
For what it's worth, a dermatologist told me that it's the rubber in direct contact with your heels that causes the cracking. If you switch to leather sandals it goes away. I've done the callus trimming and prescription cream stuff--works for a while. I'm hoping leather kicks eliminates the problem.  I've never had an infection from my cracked heels, but they sure hurt, and I've certainly just been lucky.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Okay Souhthy, you,re in Baja camping with Clay Feeter, are we going to be seeing a secret SUP spot in an upcoming magazine article. Lets come clean.
 :)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »
anyone know of any "over the counter" ones that seem to work?
Flexitol is the only thing I have found that really works for me. Discovered it a few years ago. There is the old slathering on vaseline and putting on socks trick too.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
I'm in Nicaragua with a bit of what looks like cellulitis right now.  I think it started from a bee/wasp sting + water time.  Itches like a MF.  Luckily I have an RN with me.  :)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »
Okay Souhthy, you,re in Baja camping with Clay Feeter, are we going to be seeing a secret SUP spot in an upcoming magazine article. Lets come clean.
 :)

Wouldn't do it. I've been going to Baja for over thirty years and I am still finding new spots to surf without people around. I want to keep it that way.
Also, I was with Kurt Feeter, Clay's identical twin.

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:33 PM »
I have since used some prescription cream that has eaten away 30 years of callouses on the bottom of my feet.
I've done the callus trimming and prescription cream stuff--works for a while.
Good to hear you're on the mend "SW".......

Curious to learn what "prescription cream" you guys are/were using that helps out getting rid of the crusty, crackly, callously foot nastiness that us sandal wearers seem to be so prone to....and anyone know of any "over the counter" ones that seem to work?

Cracks on the feet.....bring out the Bag Balm! It isn't a prescription cream but a lanolin based salve,mostly used for moisturizing and softening dairy cow teats and udders. We've been using it for years,windsurfing is nasty on the feet.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »

Curious to learn what "prescription cream" you guys are/were using that helps out getting rid of the crusty, crackly, callously foot nastiness that us sandal wearers seem to be so prone to....and anyone know of any "over the counter" ones that seem to work?

This is the stuff. 20 bucks and I needed a prescription. Best stuff I've ever used. Rub it on then sleep on it. After 3 or 4 times of doing this my callouses that have built up over a lifetime of surfing rubbed right off. Mine were so bad that I could never stop them from cracking open.
I can still surf barefoot but will keep an eye out for any big callouses then repeat when needed.
Exciting stuff huh?

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
20% urea. Peecream :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal