Author Topic: lower back problems - is SUP good or bad for it?  (Read 26312 times)

mbarnhar

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
lower back problems - is SUP good or bad for it?
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
Any one here know what SUPing does for people with lower back problems? I don't seem to have any issues paddling in flat water but SUPing in waves seems to be aggravating my lower back, which has 2 degenerative discs already.  I know SUPing is good core exercise and maybe its because I'm still a beginner SUP'er (stance, off-balance bending over, twisting, etc) in the waves that I'm aggravating my lower back. Thoughts?

Thanks, Mac

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
Re: lower back problems - is SUP good or bad for it?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »
Mac,

I'm 61 years old and have been surfing since I was 16. The reason I tried stand up paddling and paddle surfing, was because people were saying that it was good for strengthening the core muscles. These are the primary muscles that help support the lower back (abdominals, quads and gluts). I too have a history of back pain including degenerative disc disease, arthritis, stenosis, etc.

Modern medicine offers two primary solutions for lower back pain. Drugs and/or surgery. I did not wish to opt for either choice, therefore the only thing left to gird and support the spine are the core muscles. I've found that SUPing does indeed strengthen the core muscles and therefore relieve lower back pain by supporting the spine and those areas where nerve impingement can be relieved through core muscle fitness.

That being said, SUP surfing is not a cure-all for lower back pain. This is primarily because surfing is full of unintended consequences that can cause irritation to the lower back due to sudden and/or exaggerated movements, or overuse/over fatiguing muscles. If you were to use your stand up paddleboard an hour a day in calm water and paddle from point A to point B, paying attention to your form and technique at all times, you would definitely improve your physical fitness as well as strengthen your core muscle group.

Has this insight stopped me from surfing...of course not! I love to surf and SUP surfing has extended my surfing "career" way beyond what lay down paddling and surfing could provide. There is no question that stand up paddling is far better for your lower back than lay down paddling which constantly puts the spine in hyper-extension, including the neck. Next time you're out, count the older guys who are stiff and can barely push up from prone to the standing position to catch their wave. Stand up is a whole different game.

Flexibility, strength and diet all play a role in physical fitness, especially stand up paddle surfing. Some viable and practical alternatives to drugs and surgery are sports focused chiropractic and sports massage therapy which can pinpoint trouble spots and work specifically on those muscles that are tight and can inhibit range of motion which leads to injury. There is no big green pleasure machine, or drugs/holistic treatments that can make your lower back pain improve permanantly, without attention to detail and work on your part.

I could go on, but I've probably gone on too much as it is. I'll be happy to talk to you more about this is you'd like. If so PM me.

gary

PS - I'm not selling anything.

NRG

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nikkigregg.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
I think you already answered your own question as to why you are experiencing back problems with sup surfing (degenerative discs and poor form).  Also, there is probably some low back muscle weakness and part of your pain could be from the weaker muscles being worked and strengthened while you are paddling (which is a good thing! ;D)  I would recommend brushing up on your technique, doing some cross training, and proper stretching AFTER your sup sessions.  A good warm up (getting your heart rate up and muslces warmed up) BEFORE your surf session would probably help as well.  Oh yeah, and a good antioxidant may help with any degenerative disorders. 

I am a personal trainer on the north shore who sees this problem day in and day out with my clients....I'm not a doctor, but maybe I can help, hit me up with any questions.  Nikkigregg.com
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:06:19 PM by NRG »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
Good advice from both Gary & NRG.  I'd say pay close attention to your paddle sizing as well.  Your surf paddle might be a little shorter than a flat water paddle.  Keep in mind a paddle that's too long may cause shoulder problems / too short may cause back problems.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
When I make myself do the exercises, I find the ones in Surflex help me a lot, I think you can get the book on Amazon. It's kind of a combination of yoga and balancing. I suspect SUP is good for back pain, but getting worked is definitely NOT. Last winter in Maui I spent a few days hobbling around holding my back, hanging in the hot tub and getting massages. Would have been a good thing, but we were getting some nice swell, and I missed most of it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »
Mac,
I am 44 and have been surfing most my life.
Had back surgery 6 years ago and had to start knee boarding becuase of foot drop.
I started sup surfing 2 yaers ago and can honestly say when I do it regularly my back feels great.
When I go a couple of weeks without, my back starts bothering me.
Through SUP my foot drop has fotten better and I can prone surf again,  discovered on accident when I let someone in the line up try My SUP.
SUP has helped me all around, I love it and thank the zone for providing the forum.
Keep On SUPing, it will help!!
Aloha,
Kito
Landlocked four years😬

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
I think the general rule of thumb with your back is to stop doing something if it seems to be aggravating an existing injury. I would talk to a doctor/physio/chiro if I were you to make sure you get the right advice and some tips on strengthening the area.

I found this article a couple of weeks ago on core strength and I thought it was interesting. Here is the link in case anyone cares: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080711.wljockology11/BNStory/Business/

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »
One of the most obvious mistakes new paddlers do is bend over to retain balance. Simply bend the knees and get low when you feel yourself getting off balance. Bending over when paddling will certainly hurt you later. A good stretch before a session is a must.   

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
I am 45 and have been surfing since I was 14.  When I was 8 I fell on my head, while doing gymnastics, and had a compression fracture of 3 vertebrae. It did not bother me much until I was in my late 20's when I started to experience back pain.  By the time I was 35 the pain would get so bad I could only surf a couple of days and then I could not move for a week. My back would hurt so bad that I would have to take 7 Advil just to be able to stay asleep.  At 39 I was unable to lay on a board anymore, because I could not arch my back enough, and I thought my surfing days were done.  I saw doctors and was diagnosed with D.I.S.H. which had caused my lumbar vertebrae to fuse together on their own and my entire back to become increasingly stiff.  I tried everything, I did yoga 6 days a weeks for 2 1/2 hours a day for 5 years, had massage, chiropractors, acupuncture etc.  After 5 years of not surfing, a friend loaned me his Stand Up Board so I could try it out.  I had fun on flat water and then I caught a 6 inch wave and that was it.  I was hooked.  I could catch a wave without having to lay down.  The day I returned his board I bought my own 10'6" C4.
At first I could only paddle for a short while and then I would be hurting.  Gradually I noticed my stomach muscles getting stronger and I was able to paddle longer and more frequently.   I started feeling better physically and mentally (it is depressing not being able to surf).   I have now been surfing real waves and I am looking forward to next winter with anticipation that I have not felt since I was a kid learning to surf. 
Stand Up Paddling really gives the core a good workout.  Better than anything I have tried before.  Plus it is fun so I love working out.  Situps were never as fun as paddling. I have been paddling for 9 months now and my back now feels better than it has since I was in my 20's.
When I paddle I really focus on not bending forward but trying to keep upright with the shoulders back.  I found that a slightly longer paddle can help.
I would recommend Stand Up Paddling to almost everyone with back issues.  Just remember not to over do it at the beginning.  It has really helped me both physically and mentally.
Aloha
Brav

mbarnhar

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »
Good stuff all. Thanks so much for the responses. I'm going to look over all these in more detail later this week, including the links. It sucks now because my back hurts at this moment, but it will get better and I'll be back at it. Your stories are very inspiring.

I know having a strong core (as well as some of the other things you guys mentioned) is key to decreasing the chance of lower back flare ups. It had been 1 1/2 years since the last flare up. What changed this time around was I had hernia surgery in early May and wasn't able to work out for 6 weeks. I think I got back into the workout routine and SUP'ing a little too much too soon.

Jim

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:52:35 AM »
Hey Mac,
I've got two herniated degenerative discs too, surfed for 32 years then had to stop that - my back didn't like the hyper extension and trying to duck dive mid-length boards, so I went to kneeboarding - most fun I've ever had surfing, absolutely love it and my back can handle it too, easy to duck dive and the use of swimfins has strengthened my back a lot over the last three years, I would recommend swimming and swimming with swimfins as one of the best excercises for a bad back.
Then I got my SUP for days when it's too small for my kneeboard and loved that too, so now I think cruising on my 12'6" Starboard is great for my back, as others have said, keep back straight/bend at knees/don't use too short paddle, but I can easily overdo it in the surf on my 9'8"Starboard - this is harder on my back than cruising, I can't go everyday and have to be careful to stretch and rest in between go outs.
I think little by little is the best approach, difficult to do when the waves are good, but I've found I can gradually go out for longer sessions as my core strength has increased.
I read a book about inversion:  http://www.dynamicfitness.com/detail.aspx?ID=152 and bought an inversion table, it wasn't that effective for me, then I bought an Inversion Swing which has been fantastic, de-compressing the spine and helping to correct postural problems, I always hang for a few minutes after a paddle or a surf, (after a hot bath is best) after driving or sitting at the PC, in fact anytime I can, probably six times a day minimum and I'm convinced that this swing has been responsible for keeping my back problems in check, I don't get muscle spasms now and can do a lot more excercise than I could.
Here's a link for the swing:  http://www.evolutionhealth.com/inversion_swing/inversion-swing.html
Aloha,
Jim
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:22:52 AM by Jim »

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »
The inversion swing is great.  I have one and I use it all the time.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard