Author Topic: Deception Pass Dash Dec 8-9, WA State  (Read 1822 times)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Deception Pass Dash Dec 8-9, WA State
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Interested in a 6 mile all craft race through the tidal rapids of Deception Pass St Park north of Seattle? Join us to paddle in this beautiful location with incredible scenery. 

More info..
http://rubycreekboathouse.com/deception-pass-dash/
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Deception Pass Dash Dec 8-9, WA State
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Rob (or greatdane or anyone else who's done this race)--how hard is this race?  Since I'm not fast, would I be doomed in regard to currents?  Can it be far choppier than the photos show from last year?   It's always looked like a blast, and best scenery in the world--have been thinking of doing it ever since hearing about it a year or two ago.  I could always do it in my kayak if SUP was too challenging. 

Could it be as tough as last 3 miles of Round the Rock last Sept.?

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
The race has been glassy calm the last 3 years. Veterans of the race always say, 'you should've seen 08'!'.  But like anywhere, it could be calm, mild, or gnarly. 

The currents won't be too difficult if you keep your speed up. You start at slack where there's no or very littler current.  And the race is on the ebb so that's the more mellow of the two directions in the Pass. Last year most of the racers were already going downstream with current before it really kicked up. i poked into the pass after the race and it still wasn't cranking full on.  A friend of mine was so hot he finished with his shirt off, it was 36F. 

i'd bring both your kayak and board if you're not sure of the conditions or your skill.  if you are slow and get caught in heavier current, use the eddies to get upstream. i do offer a dp sup class for folks to better understand how it works there.  rc
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Pics of recent Dash races..
Rob Casey