Author Topic: Good Deal Alert  (Read 42650 times)

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good Deal Alert
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
So were on some mailing list for deals or something or did you just get lucky while window shopping?

Window shopping.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
@ JakeSupTX  

I am sorry that I sent your tread off on a tangent.  That was not my intent.  

As I said - I am stoked when more people get into sup - and if this "deal" allowed more people to do that (or up grade their equipment) - then I am all for it.  

Just have had a rough few weeks of similar "industry" related stuff that continues to make it hard (from a financial perspective) to keep on doing what I do.  

To all those that managed to get a board for WAY less than any dealer will ever pay - Congrats - and have fun paddling.    
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Martog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser...
I live about 4 blocks from this address and I've never known that there was a shop there.
Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow and see what the story is.

Maybe too much competition from Mitch's, Bob's, Tower, OEI and Fastlane Sailing - all shops within about 5 miles of each other in PB & La Jolla.

Oh - and I just got my shipping notification from Amazon and it says my board is shipping from Goodyear, AZ. But I got the "used" board (whatever that ends up meaning).

In this case the company liquidating the boards on Amazon is

Waveriders Surf Shop
675 Turquoise Street
La Jolla, California 92037

And not a "direct" Amazon sale. Nice find!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:42:49 PM by Martog »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
Buddy of mine that ordered one this morning got his shipping notification about an hour ago.

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »
I get shipping notices, then no board.  :(

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
I too am stoked for everyone that got a sick deal.  I actually told my non-SUP "surfer" friend about it after he saw my board this weekend, and he jumped on it.  I almost bought one for myself, but only the lack of garage space held me back (plus I have too many boards at the moment).  Anyway, he'll love SUP as he's a great surfer/waterman and also has done plenty of marathon/tri.  He lives in San Clemente and will go buy a paddle tomorrow and other gear as he gets more and more into it...

That being said, the "surfshop" that sold the board, http://www.waveridersurfboards.com, is also less than 2 blocks from my house.  In fact I can see it right.... now, well the back of it.  Its an office building that no surfer in San Diego would ever recognize.  There are no surfboards for sale, or wax, or just a guy to shoot this shit with.  Maybe no surfers at all...

I think it is shady business to under-cut the market so drastically. A real surf shop would sell them for a minimum of $1000 on craigslist if all else failed, but since there is no shop, that is not an option.  I will never personally buy something from them... at least not until its more than 90% off :)

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
I left Surf tech a message but no reply so far. I know they had a bunch of the LuiKai boards left over the last time I checked in September but they were not super cheap.
I do have a problem with the deal if it is a Surf Tech to Amazon direct leaving any dealer out of the deal like what BIC did last year. If wholesale operations offer the deals to all their retail outlets that's fair, but when they sell direct to Amazon, or other online close out operations and leave their year round shops out, that's when I don't like it.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
a Surf Tech to Amazon direct leaving any dealer out of the deal
That's what has got me wondering what is going on. Stuff in warehouses all over the country. Why would one small dealer have so many of one kind of board? That's absurd. Someone was in a world of hurt or something fishy? It's not like they were sold out of a van in a parking lot. Hell yeah, I wish I would have got in on it.
I don't know the whole process but I had thought to be a dealer for this kind of stuff....Hobie, Naish, Kialoa, Malibu, Rosignol, Burton, Dynastar, Northface, Marmot, Patagonia,  etc. etc..you have a minimum price you can hawk their wares for. At least until a certain amount of time has passed. This is what keeps a level playing field and "local" dealers buying more goods in the future as they feel they have a fair shot if nothing else. No clue but I just kind of thought how it worked. As a dealer I would be pissed too.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
[quote author=JakeSupTX link=topic=18307.msg174297#msg174297 date=
If that shop in CA is selling some or one super cheap, do you know if it is an attempt to screw the industry or a small business owner in a last ditch effort to save his @ss and feed his kids? I don't think anybody checked before they threw his info up online
[/quote]

I only pointed out the local shop to illustrate that lots of small businesses sell through Amazon.  Nothing wrong with that.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
Easyrider - Man, its cool,  no worries at all. I respect your position even though it is opposite of mine. I appreciate the apology although it isn't necessary. I don't rely on consumer whim for my livelihood so it is easy for me to side with the buyer.  I can appreciate the strain of owning a business and how rough it can be on you.  Like I said, I usually don't get spun up in internet arguments, to me it was more the principle of my position. I do enjoy a good debate, especially when it stays somewhat peaceful. I also wasn't trying to be the thread nazi, it isn't mine any more than anyone else's, was just arguing the point. Hopefully it's all good and no hard feelings.

BBQ - I'm not sure why they keep jerking you around with UPS, I'm almost positive they don't handle stuff this large for residential deliveries. My first one came from a local freight company and the tracking for the second appears to be the same. My second is supposedly already on the way but the shipper name hasn't updated yet. This will be my fourth board via shipper, each one has been different so far but they all have been logistics freight companies not UPS or Fedex. I wish I had a better idea of how to actually solve that problem, I can't think of anything but the obvious stuff you've already tried. You'd think that they'd be sick of wasting time and money losing boards.

Bean - Nothing wrong with it at all, I've bought plenty from shops selling through Amazon. I perceived it to be a finger getting pointed at a local shop that might have doing something different than what was described and getting thrown under the bus for it. The problem was likely in my perception and my apologies if I was off track.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:12:36 PM by JakeSupTX »

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »
Jake...although the style board they were selling on Amazon was not something I was interested in, I greatly appreciate the kindness you were/are trying to share with fellow SUP'ers on the zone. Please keep "doing on to others as you would want them to do onto you". It is unfortunate that there are some bound and determined to have no good deed go unpunished.

SUPn858

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:37 AM »
Ordered two, his and hers. Even if I end up selling them later, the next guy will get a deal on a used board.

MKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
Mine is coming from AZ, and the carrier is CEVA? Never heard of it...

Thanks again Jake. Pretty cool how someone you don't even know can make your day.. Definitely some good karma going your way Jake

SUPfan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
Easy Rider,  I too apologize for "jumping on" and running the thread in another direction.  I think it's great that people got a deal.  Big picture, more SUPS on the water is a good thing.  But something does sound "off" with the price, they're giving the board away,  and the non-existent shop that is selling them. (?)

Every shop must move out excess inventory at some point. I will be clearing out some excess inventory next week  with a CLEARANCE SALE  ;D   

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words everybody, passing on some stoke is what it is all about. I'm really glad some folks are going to get a great xmas.

Haole - My second one is also coming from Arizona via Ceva. Take a deep breath on this...........My first one from Amazon came via Ceva as well.......they were pretty sketchy in their customer service. Reviews for Ceva pretty much suck, they got the board here on time the first time but that was about it. Watch them with shaky scheduling and the drivers trying to bully you into signing before you inspect the board. If you stay on top of it and let them know you are paying attention you should be fine. Not trying to make you stressed but stay on top of these guys.

I'm not sure how far from the air freight hub you are but with one of my earlier boards I picked it up at the delivery company's dock. It was about an hour or so out of my way up into Houston but I didn't have to deal with a delivery time or driver BS.

Paddle On!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal