Author Topic: Good Deal Alert  (Read 42653 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Good Deal Alert
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Warren,

I totally get your perspective.  It looks to me like a buyer screwed the pooch... and had to convert inventory to cash quickly... and lost his a** (and maybe his job) in the process. 

Quick cash conversions screw things up for everybody... in real estate and in sporting goods.  "But the house next store sold for $800,000 a few months ago..."  "Well, yes, that was what is called a short sale.  That is when a bank takes a loss to avoid the foreclosure process and quickly converts a loan to cash...."  "But the house sold for $800,000... and it is just like your house."  (repeat)

It hurts perceived value, and can cause folks to keep the credit cards in their wallets in the hope that another liquidation event pops up... and causes people to misperceive the real cost of inventory... because they can't get their heads around a company taking a $300-500 per unit loss.

It seems to me that whomever it was that liquidated those boards won't be competing for the SUP dollar anytime soon.

My two cents.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
^^^ What he said!    ;D

VVVV  Also what he said! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:51:48 PM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

SUPfan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
I second that.  Someone is losing their a**

It appears Surftech is selling these direct (through Amazon) at far below what it costs to manufacture the board.  I think we in the business should take note and be quick to bring it up to Surftech when they walk through the front door of your shop asking you to carry their line. 

IMO - they should have run these boards through their dealer network at a reasonable closeout price structure.  A fair deal for all. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
In this case the company liquidating the boards on Amazon is

Waveriders Surf Shop
675 Turquoise Street
La Jolla, California 92037

And not a "direct" Amazon sale. Nice find!

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
Wow - that is a HUGE hit for a shop. 

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »
Here is a little different perspective. I've been getting my daily stoke from the Zone for over two years now. At times, though, it gets discouraging to see a lot of you, who have been successful, showing your latest and greatest while I'm still making due with my 12'1 Laird for everything. My wife has been unemployed since February, I'm self-employed, but lost 2 months during the summer to back trouble and doctor restrictions. That definitely set back my dreams for even a used Glide etc. We've had some other financial situations in the last month setting me further back. I'm still stoked as ever, so when this deal came up, I saw it as a chance to get to the next level and continue to share the stoke and keep up with you all a little bit. The capitalist, free market countries we live in that allow you on here the financial freedom to pursue this lifestyle also at times create these opportunities for the rest of us that have to live tighter. I'm a painter and I have some great clients, but have people turn me down because they would rather pay day laborer wages instead. Over time, I think it evens out somewhat. So as I posted earlier, thanks so much, Jake for passing the deal on. By the way, I bought my Laird and paddle locally, and the next couple times I went in, they couldn't have ignored me more, so so much for that.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Nice post Suprbowl. Glad you scored one!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
If thats the board you want, you'd be a fool not to buy it at that price.  Grats to whoever got an amazing deal!  Most shops have $6000 of liquidity on hand, so they too could have taken advantage of a crazy deal and bought the whole lot, taken them off the market and the resold them for a tidy profit later.  I don't think anyone needs to feel bad about taking advantage of this. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
ooops.  I should have sad that quick conversions of inventory to cash screw things up for everybody... EXCEPT the folks who scored the amazing deal. 

The free market creates opportunities... congrat's to the Zoners who scored a RIDICULOUS deal!  And props to the Zoner who posted it here for his bro's to take part.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Funny, mine came from Indiana, from an Amazon warehouse it appears. Seeing how Amazon had them on their site for quite awhile at the list price then began dumping them isn't it possible that they paid Surftech the market wholesale and blew them out on their own volition? I don't know the facts behind it any more than anybody else here but it is amazing the "what about me" lynch mob is already pointing the finger at a major company, as well as a local shop ( hey, always protect the locals, right?). If that shop in CA is selling some or one super cheap, do you know if it is an attempt to screw the industry or a small business owner in a last ditch effort to save his @ss and feed his kids? I don't think anybody checked before they threw his info up online and pointed the finger.

You going to call Naish next and ask them WTF? They sure do have a lot of gear for sale on Amazon. I bet when their rep walks in to offer you a chance to make some money you don't tell him/her how to handle business.

I normally don't get involved in BS internet arguing but the hippie crap mentality has me kind of fired up. "It's ok if I'M doing it but not if somebody else is and it is only cool/good if I say it is".  It is also funny that some of those who appear to throw the threadjack flag at the slightest deviation have no problem jacking one when it is in their interest. The fact that it comes from some of the "heavyweights" on this site ( the Amazons in this scenario, maybe?) is strangely ironic.

A respectable "winner" in any field can have the integrity to be positive when a competitor wins once in awhile. In this case the winner is some average guys who got a break on a board they normally wouldn't have gotten. I respect gracious winners, even when a competitor is in the spotlight.  The guys in back of the pack pointing fingers, not so much.

The whole point of the thread was to pass on stoke and be cool to people, again for no personal gain. Kind of irritated that it has taken this turn. Maybe I'm taking it personally when it doesn't really affect me but the ones proclaiming they are the "stokest" the innovators and the best to do business with aren't doing anything here but killing it.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 03:49:03 PM »
HAHAHA I was so busy ranting back at the machine that I missed the thank you's and positives. Thanks for that guys, that's what it was all about in the first place.

Well, that and scoring a killer deal.....going to go ride my "crappy" three hundred dollar race board again tomorrow :)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »
Jake, well said. Bottom line is that those boards were going to sell at that price sooner or later, anyways. Cool that you hooked zoners up.  Especially cool to hear a story like suprbowls.  The one coming to me will have a bow slapped on it and put under my girlfriends tree.  She has gotten a small taste of friendly competitive racing and LOVES it but doesn't have her own board.. this is going to make her day. (and score me some points).

I second your opinion about the circumstances. Too tough to know why these boards got dumped, where they really came from, and the full story.  I respect and appreciate the guys on here that make their living in this industry and I'm sure they face internet battles like this often. Hopefully everyone sees that you weren't pushing against them, just helping other zoners score. Better a zoner than someone else, right?

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
Amen! Now let's get out there and paddle!!  :D

AKCoastie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
So were on some mailing list for deals or something or did you just get lucky while window shopping?

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
Anyone actually receive their board?  I ordered the 14.  It is listed as being sold from amazon and coming from their Pennsylvania Center.  I live in NC and I have been going back and forth for about three weeks.  Amazon has shipped three to me now through UPS.  None have arrived.  Tracking shows that it leaves UPS in transit to Greenville NC then poof.  Gone.  Amazon is trying hard to rectify the situation.

Anyone work for UPS and can help me out?

I paid $639.  Looks like the price is back to $1500.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal