Author Topic: Good Deal Alert  (Read 42589 times)

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good Deal Alert
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
you guys are chirping like birds. man..... what a great feeling to be more efficient! you got the bug for sure now

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:08 AM »
So after my inaugural paddle, I went back an reread alot of the posts here. I realized that I had not sealed up the extra holes. I will be doing that today, but I wanted to post pics of the holes. They look like pilot holes that may not be all the way through, but why chance it. They are kind of hidden by the handle (I originally thought I had only one) so check your board. I'm going to put some epoxy also in the handle hole to be sure.

In this pic, it's the one on the right

The one on the left

supthecreek

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »
Glad "Black Friday" came early for you boys!!!
I want to paddle one when you hit the Cape next spring!
Post your winter paddle pics in "Flatwater" for us to enjoy

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
So after my inaugural paddle, I went back an reread alot of the posts here. I realized that I had not sealed up the extra holes. I will be doing that today, but I wanted to post pics of the holes. They look like pilot holes that may not be all the way through, but why chance it. They are kind of hidden by the handle (I originally thought I had only one) so check your board. I'm going to put some epoxy also in the handle hole to be sure.

In this pic, it's the one on the right

The one on the left

They look like screw inserts. Sold to the windsurf industry for installing straps. They work with sheet metal screws. You can confirm this by sticking a needle in the hole and checking for a firm bottom in the hole.

On a SUP, its probably for mounting accessories.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:29:49 AM by DW »

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »
Yup, firm in all holes. Makes me feel better. Thanks DW

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
Well, we discovered that the Glide 11" fin doesn't quite fit in the box so we'll have to wait to do some fin testing. Stay tuned...

yardsale

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
Ok long time lurker here. I just registered to add my two cents to this.

Be careful with those two holes. On my Surftech Bark I have one hole just like that. It is the expansion plug hole. It is threaded. Below the threads is the core. You probably should have received a machined screw with an o-ring to plug it.  I would not go in the water without plugging it, And not with epoxy!

The other hole, who knows,  call Surftech.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
Glad the deal worked out for those buying this board for personal use.  I see some are still sitting out there on Craigslist for $850.  Speculation is just that and there could be easier ways to make $400. 

Craigslist is  great to find all the questionable SUP dealers offering misleading posts toward their website.  You are really better off buying from Costco than some of those people or just buy a good second hand board from a private party.  At least you know that guy took your money to buy another new board.  A healthy second hand market helps support the new product line and keeps companies in business.  These discount internet SUP dealers only hurt the industry.  Currently in my area the CL sellers are mostly people in it for the fast buck.  Sad for the future on SUP  :(

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:42 AM »
I also wanted to update.  It's a long story so I will keep it short.

I ordered the 14 for $639.  In a nut shell Amazon could not figure out how to ship it from one of the warehouses in PA.  They lost three to UPS who kept taking them even thought they couldn't deliver it.  I finally pointed this out to Amazon and they verified that this was true.  I was transferred to the large items department.  In a company that large I guess it is no different than government.  Large Items is based in somewhere in the central US.  They could not get the warehouse to communicate with them by phone or email.  The warehouse kept getting back to them saying we are trying to figure it out.

At exactly 30 days past the date of my order and getting nowhere, I finally just called it quits.  Could I have kept on it? Sure, but I bought it because of the deal and in the end don't really need it.  Also, I guess it worked out because I just got a line on a good deal from an individual about a 14 that I really wanted.

Now before people jump on the Amazon and big business let me say this.  I often order things from amazon with free super saver shipping and it shows up two days later.  The individual from large items kept me in the loop and actually called me back several times to keep me up to date.  That said, I will never order anything big from them and really didn't think it would happen when I did place the order.

I bought my first board from a local shop.  I have two local shops that I support.  Often when I go in they will talk to me for 30 min to an hour.  I always buy something after they do just to support them in hopes that they can stay open.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread are trying to guilt people.  If I walked by your shop and you had the same sale priced slapped on a board, I would have bought it on the spot.  I don't believe the argument that you can't sell it for that price.  How long has it been since these board were discontinued?  Sometimes shops have to take a loss just to get some money in.  Some money is better than no money.  You can close the doors with a shop full of boards or you can free up some capital to hopefully fight another day.

I deal a lot in the music business, their margins have to to be worse than SUP margins.  It happens all the time.

I mean no harm in what I said above and am just providing another point of view. 
Trust me, I understand your plight, I make guitars and furniture.  After my time and spirit put into a guitar, I can't come close to the $99 electric that the general public expects.

And by the way, you guys have nothing on how much guitar nuts flip gear!  ;D

MKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:16 AM »
Thanks for all the updates and the info on the drilled out holes by the handle. I am dying to get mine out, but it's just too damn cold up here in the Great Lakes region.

BBQ- Sorry to hear about your Amazon experience. Somehow I lucked out and had a smooth delivery through CEVA.

Well said on the guilt trip others are trying to push on those of us who scored a good deal. I have no shame in admitting I posted a craigslist ad to get a "quick buck" (however I do plan on keeping it at this point). In my mind as long as I can make a legal and ethical "quick buck" I see no shame in it.  Especially since someone else could have scored a good deal on a new board at that price. I was hoping to get $900, so I could buy an Ocean Rodeo suit at my local SUP shop ;D.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:04:59 AM by haolebuilt »

Jradtke

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »
I can't think of an easier way to make $1,000.  I ordered 2, listed both on CL before they arrived.  Sold 1, check in hand before the boards arrived, sold the second the day the board arrived.  My email and phone was blowing up with people thinking $850 was a great deal. Looks like a win win for everyone, especially me, and that's the most important win.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal