Author Topic: Advice for next week in Tofino  (Read 11214 times)

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Advice for next week in Tofino
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
I live in Bellingham, and I was thinking about taking a trip up to Tofino next week during my daughter's school break. She's a beginner surfer and I'm slightly past beginner on a SUP. Here's the current long range forecast from Surfline:

Nov 21 (Wed)   10-11ft   12s   247°   (WSW)   8-9ft   9s   175°   (S)   2-3ft   10s   321°
Nov 22 (Thu)   6-7ft   8s   222°   (SW)   5-6ft   11s   284°   (WNW)   3-4ft   8s   158°
Nov 23 (Fri)   6-7ft   5s   173°   (S)   4-5ft   10s   272°   (W)   1-2ft   18s   183°
Nov 24 (Sat)   17-18ft   10s   188°   (S)   2-3ft   15s   189°   (S)   0-1ft   0s   0°
Nov 25 (Sun)   13-14ft   11s   202°   (SSW)   4-5ft   6s   274°   (W)   4-5ft   12s   274°

We have been out at long beach, cox, and chestermans before, so a little familiar with the area. Given our skill level and this forecast, do you recommend going at all--and if so, what areas would you look at to be more protected? Thanks.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for next week in Tofino
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
Based on those swell heights the answer is a resounding no. As an example, this weekend started off mellow on Friday and Saturday, but by Sunday morning the buoys were reading 10-12' @ 10s and South chestermans was completely shut down by mid-afternoon with not a soul making it outside on anything, North was flat as the swell was southerly, but a westerly component came in today and turned it into a lumpy, but rideable (not that much fun) mess. Mackenzie looked ok for a beginner, but still super lumpy; and as per normal Long Beach, Wick and Florencia are pretty much summer only spots as their exposure takes swell from all directions so winters are just too messy and confused here.

In the summer we usually only get one swell direction at a time, either Southerly high period swells, or westerlies that have lower periods but are usually larger, this makes for nice conditions are the exposed beaches, and often epic conditions at a place like Cox on the good days. Now put SW, W and NW swells together, all with interchangeable periods and what you get is a mess. That is not too say it always sucks in the winter there, I had two wicked weekends last November, but what you want to look for is smaller swell, and primarily from one direction. If Magicseaweed is calling for 14' chances are that is combined swell from multiple directions, take a look at their breakdown.

If you are from Bellingham, then based on the size of swell headed our way, I'd be checking out the breaks on your side of JDF heading into this weekend and beyond, never ridden them myself, but hear they are just as good as our South Island spots except lefts! Fun!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:54:33 PM by 14 West »
Don't forget to bring a towel!

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
Thanks man, that's just the help I needed. I think the strait is the ticket, but my wife really loves Tofino (as do I). And who knows -- maybe surfing earlier in the week and skiing later on...

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
Tofino is so expensive compared to spots that are just as nice on your side of the border, with no border crossing or ferry ride. Why not try La Push (ok, not as nice), Westport, or head south to Cannon beach/ Seaside area? In fact I cannot believe how cheap things are out that way. A place I rented in Cannon Beach this summer for $69/night was nicer than the place we rented this weekend in the off-season in Tofino for $249/night.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
Canon and Seaside are great places. 
Years back got a room on the water for $19. a night.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
I am a goofy footer, so the Cove at Seaside still stands out as the best session I have ever had by far. That place is just epic.

I guess the price differential is a supply and demand thing, more people down there, but places to stay galore from Long Beach, WA all the way down the Oregon Coast and into Cali - whereas Tofino, well that and Ukee are pretty much it for the whole Country west of Ontario.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal