Author Topic: 2013 Starboard Surfboards  (Read 25446 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Starboard Surfboards
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Are the boards with the carrying handle on the deck supposed to be micro SUP's or regular surfboards?  ???
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfniels

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • surfniels.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
They'll win ugly board of 2013 for sure.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »
Support your local shaper. Buy American.

I live in the middle of Canada - 1200 km from the nearest ocean - there are NO local shapers.

I will support a company that is supporting the sports!  
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

alexf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
They'll win ugly board of 2013 for sure.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
I'll get ahold of Sean when he gets back from Spain. He's sure to have a couple available to at least look at.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »

I live in the middle of Canada - 1200 km from the nearest ocean - there are NO local shapers.

You could order the boards from an American shaper, then ship them into Canada.  But the border patrol people might put some holes in that idea.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

You could order the boards from an American shaper, then ship them into Canada.  But the border patrol people might put some holes in that idea.

I see what you did there! 
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
so sick , who cares what they look like.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
different strokes for different folks-how cool is it that you can say you just dont like the look of a board now and you want to look at different options!
I cant get over how far all aspects of sup both Surf and Paddling have come in so short a time...
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
I could feel twenty again , with those colors .

Oh sh*t, thats who they are targeting . 

Ok, I get it , guess I'm a little slow.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
They are definitely interesting looking boards.  Not sure how to describe them.  Certainly not your standard shortboard.  Not fish.  Sort of a hybrid of hybrid shapes.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »
Are the boards with the carrying handle on the deck supposed to be micro SUP's or regular surfboards?  ???
Exactly, that's one of the reasons I think they are ugly, not just the carbon sorta showing thru look , which I've never liked, but they are so wide, so wide that they need handles, wtf?  Very soft looking rails also, eventhought I can't see the bottom of the rails to see if they are hard or not, but with what I can see,,,,,,,,, fugly.
They really do look like a cross between a SUB and a proner (in other words, perfect for neither),,,,,,,,,, can't see it, sorry.
It takes a quiver to do that.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
[
They really do look like a cross between a SUB and a proner (in other words, perfect for neither),,,,,,,,,, can't see it, sorry.

Did you not see the photo of Sean Poynter tearing it up?  I say don't knock it until you try it.  Personally I think the brushed Carbon with the Green fade is pretty cool looking.  I'd buy it.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I have been reluctant to comment on this as it seems to be in vogue at the moment, but I just don't get the "brushed carbon" look...I have been working with frp and composites since 1966...I find it strange that one would want to "highlight" the fact that they are sanding into woven reinforcement that dictates the strength of a laminate ...not to say that this isn't hidden many other board builders under a slick paint job...but to draw attention to it?
The first time I saw a some what similar look was when Tem Berkstresser was building ultra light windsurfing slalom race boards back in the 80's...don 't know exactly what Tem was using, but it looked like awlgrip 545 white epoxy primer and there were no deep 60 grit scratches in the carbon...no sanding into the carbon laminate...no clear coat to add weight...it was all for go not for show...

I surmise it's a marketing technique today for the most part...allowing the builders to skip the last step of the finish...don't get me wrong...if the guys building the boards were paid what they are really worth the better boards would be a bargain at twice the price.

These boards may hold up well and be "strong", but that being said...the closer you can minimize  sanding into the cloth, the closer it will get to being optimal strength.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal