Author Topic: What is a good prone (gulp) board to compliment my SUP's  (Read 10916 times)

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
What is a good prone (gulp) board to compliment my SUP's
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Yup, I am thinking of doing it lying down from time to time just to add some variety and be able to do some undercover recon at more conversational spots before taking the SUP. However I have no clue as to what board I am going to have more fun on than either of my SUP's, so I am not sure if this can "slot" in between. So maybe something that is just all-around? Lately I've been riding the 8' Pro in conditions as gross as 15+ knots, when I almost had no choice but to prone it to make headway upwind, so where I thought wind might force me back on my belly, it almost doesn't anymore.

Ideas?

Currently have a Starboard 8' x 28" Pro and a Starboard 8'5" x 30" Pocket Rocket. I'm 6'1" and 187ish lbs. with what I would consider decent surfing skill.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

supthecreek

Re: What is a good prone (gulp) board to compliment my SUP's
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
Why not consider this approach:

Get a small SUS...
With a pointy nose and drawn in tail.
Then just prone paddle it.

You would be riding a board you relate to
You would have epic prone paddle power
(Plus a new SUS for perfect conditions)

I often wonder why more proners aren't borrowing from the SUS tech.

Something like the Infinity Blur below

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
That's a great idea.  I took down a 7'9' to Indonesia I acquired from a fellow Zoner and although I wasn't able to stand on it, it was a great prone board, especially for mushy waves.  My 90 lb G-son, however hopped on it standing up and off he went without a blink.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
I like this too. I'm gonna take the 8'0" out and see if I can do some "longboarding" before I buy a longboard.

I still like the idea & look of a nice LB shape though.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
you want to be able to duck dive it though-not gonna happen on even a short sup.
Get  yourself a nice mini simmons or a nice wide fish, like the Hynson Black Knight for example.

Still plenty of width and float and good for clean drawn out turns.

http://www.surfride.com/getproduct.asp?p=14727&ptid=81&b=88

http://www.infinitysurf.com/shortboards/tombstone/
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »
"you won't to be able to duck dive it though-not gonna happen on even a short sup."

True Dat SoCal.  But wide (26" is wide for prone) ain't too bad for surfing if the waves aren't critical.

Wish and hope that someday before I'm totally white haired, I'll be able to stand on one of those potato chips you guys stand on.  Saw the pics of tall and medium weight SL on that 7'9" by 26" and even though he said he was struggling it's pretty amazing that he could even do it. 

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
SL pushes the envelope for his size and weight no doubt-think the lowest i could go at my current 180lbs is probably an 8-0 x 27 and probably 3&7/8 or 4 thick.
I am seriously thinking of getting a tombstone or one of those hynson black knights.
Need to take CD's longboard out again soon and test my lower lumbars to see if i can take it.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
That is a sick 7'7" but it isn't much smaller than my 8' and doesn't really make sense since I wouldn't get to paddle it often, and it is still, like the 8', essentially like a longboard when prone. Speaking of which I have done a couple times on the 8' for fun, and I'd say that is way more fun than a long board, maybe a bit slower, but hard to say. Certainly a lot easier. Why don't they make more surf boards like this, you could thin it out A LOT and cut the volume in half, but still have a super fun, stable, slashy board, instead of a big ass long board pendulum.

I'll check out those suggestions SoCal. Thanks!
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
I would go off beat with a prone board.

The problem that I have with my regular boards is that they are just too slow compared to my standups.

The only prone board that compares speed wise is my 6'4" Gemini shaped by Jeff Alexander. it is wide and stubby... Massive single concave and quad. The bulk of the tail feels slightly similar to an SUP.

Jeff is still in Bali I think... But John lalane has the Gemini license in HI and So Cal. Lala surfboards... Jack lalane's son.  Cool guy. You can find him on Facebook.

Geminis look silly, but they work. 

And if you were worried about looking silly, you wouldn't be surfing with a paddle in your hand.

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
I'd consider a noserider longboard, just to get a bigger change. A Stewart, Tilton, Jimmy Lewis, or whatever. I like the way they feel.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
That is a sick 7'7" but it isn't much smaller than my 8' and doesn't really make sense since I wouldn't get to paddle it often, and it is still, like the 8', essentially like a longboard when prone. Speaking of which I have done a couple times on the 8' for fun, and I'd say that is way more fun than a long board, maybe a bit slower, but hard to say. Certainly a lot easier. Why don't they make more surf boards like this, you could thin it out A LOT and cut the volume in half, but still have a super fun, stable, slashy board, instead of a big ass long board pendulum.

I'll check out those suggestions SoCal. Thanks!

They do make surfboards like that. They are just much smaller. You'd be on something around 5-10x20, if that's what you want.

Re: prone paddling an sup.  Couple-three downsides.  You can buy about 6 used surfboards for the price of a new sup.  The deck pad causes wicked rash, or tears up your wetsuit. The extra width makes them uncomfortable to paddle.

I'd probably try to find a used funboard, 7 to 8 feet in length.  I have a Takayama 7-6 x 21.5 egg that is super easy to use and floats me ok at 240#.   And I'd buy a nose rider.

You did not mention your age.  I've seen guys in their 60s on shortboards BUT you can not casually ride a shortboard over about 40.  You'll have to be dedicated.  I'd not go that route for a board you plan to use once in a while.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
7'4" Egg

Not quite a log, and not quite a shorty.
Just...fun!

:)

SUP Viking

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »
I ride prone on a 7'2 Egg. Love it. The funboard size is a versatile range.
"Fear of the uknown is the greatest fear of all, but we just went for it"

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
I've got a 7'6" x 21 thruster but I don't like it so I've been looking at Von Sol Shadow, probably in the 6'6" range. I'm staying away from long boards because they are too close to what and how I SUP.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal