Author Topic: Where is the best place to demo many boards at once?  (Read 3918 times)

EasternShorePaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where is the best place to demo many boards at once?
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »
So where is the best place to demo as many boards as possible? I imagine an expo, but which one? Would love to try a number of race boards before I drop that kind of change. Mainly I want to try the Bark, M&M, Fly Flat, Hobie Elite, Starboard ACE. Question to all is where can you go to try them all in a day? Thanks people, paddle on.

catdailey

• Rincon Status
  • If it floats and has a stick, I'm there :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where is the best place to demo many boards at once?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
Being on the east coast as I am, I couldn't think of a place to do this either. My guess so far would be the Carolina Cup in April. From what I understand, you can score pretty well on some used gear after the race. It really sucks having so few options. It's the same for us with outrigger. Very limited opportunities and choices.
Cat

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:58:42 AM »
I think you mean the Fanatic Fly Race as one of your boards So I'd add the Fanatic Falcon

JimK
ExtremeWS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »
We're spoiled here in Hood River, Big Winds has pretty much everything, and on a sunny weekend they're generally already down at the event center on the sand. I tested six different 14 footers one afternoon this summer without making any prior arrangement.

It helps that Steve Gates, one of the owners, is a serious racer.

Anything Big Winds doesn't have, Gorge Performance in Portland does, they're right on the banks of the Willamette so demos are easy and Bob Reuter is also a SUP racer.

Maybe a plane ticket is the easiest way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Every so often, down here in Fort Lauderdale a shop will have a demo.  However, it's rarely the expensive boards that you'd love to try!  Although, I did catch one demo day by Naish and they had pretty much all of their surf models and the 12'6 glide available.  Sadly, the day was horrid weather, with total slop on the beach.  The only thing I learned about Naish that day was that I fell off of all of their models equally well.

Two things to try that I can think of:  Hit up some of the bigger races in your area.  The last few that I went to had a few demos.  Better yet, watch for the winners...as in the folks who finish WAY ahead of everyone else...the sponsored racers.  Many times, part of their duties is to promote their brand and demo their boards.  At the same two races that I went to that had a few demo boards by shops/ board reps, two of the sponsored racers themselves let folks demo the board that they raced and they had a second board from their company’s line with them  as well.  So, look and ask around at the next race.  I got to try out two really nice, new locally made boards...a Zulu and a Barracuda...both with very interesting designs...especially the Zulu.

I’m also lucky that my local shop, which sponsors race classes, race training groups, etc  for recreational racers like myself, lets people demo most of their race boards.  The only new boards that they don’t allow demos on are MHLs.  The other new boards, such as Kings or Fanatic,  they will usually set up a demo that they supervise (can’t really blame them for that part).   They usually allow you to demo for free, or at least rent the used race boards as well.  But, not all that many shops are willing to risk it.
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
Try heading to Australia and visit Dj's local sup shop, they have everything ;D
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

EasternShorePaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:35:47 AM »
Try heading to Australia and visit Dj's local sup shop, they have everything ;D
I hear that, love that guy and his vids, that local sup shop is bad ass. I learned to downwind by watching his vids! ;D

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24:31 AM »
 Demo days are your best chance to try boards... Doing an Exocet SUP/Ke Nalu Paddle demo-day (in conjunction with Sandy Point Progressive Sports) on Sat, Oct 27th in Daytona Bch, Fl... There's also a demo-day planned for the Golden Isles SUP Race next Friday (Oct 19th) at St Simon's Isle, Ga...     Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

930chas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »
There is a rumor circulating that a shop will be opening in the Kent Island area soon and will be 100% committed to the sport. Talks of huge demo days, race boards in stock, week night and weekend events , etc. Fingers crossed for that coming to fruition!

EasternShorePaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
There is a rumor circulating that a shop will be opening in the Kent Island area soon and will be 100% committed to the sport. Talks of huge demo days, race boards in stock, week night and weekend events , etc. Fingers crossed for that coming to fruition!

That is a great town for a shop like that. fingers crossed fo sho! Hell I could paddle there faster than I could drive there if the wind was right.

kneil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
Hey ESP, I have a Bark 14 and a 404 12-6, both race boards that are fast and stable, the 404 is for sale (see classifieds) you are welcome to paddle either.  We have a really good group of fast paddlers here in Annapolis, come out with us anytime and you can try different boards, we have Infinity, Bark, YOLO, Riviera, and some others.  My friend Ben is a dealer for Infinity and Riviera, he can get you the best deal if you decide to buy one, his site is www.supannapolis.com.  Cold Stroke in January and Carolina Cup in April both great opportunities to see lots of boards, fun races and worth the drive to Wilmington NC.   

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Where is the best place to demo many boards at once?
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »
Gotta say that the 404 is a lot of fun, some boards just have an intangible fun factor. It is not a flatwater board but awesome in wind and chop. Love mine when wind is blowing.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
+1 on Carolina Cup.  That is the reason I went there along with clinics and i got what i needed.  I'd say 90% of all major manufacturers were there last year.  Spend 3 days demoing all you want...

Do a search for Carolina Cup here on the Zone and read my small review on it.  

SUP searching is sooooo much fun!!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:38:10 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal