Author Topic: Anybody SUS the Cove (PV)?  (Read 5670 times)

Nottakook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Venice Surf Photographers
Anybody SUS the Cove (PV)?
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Anybody here SUS the Cove?

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Anybody SUS the Cove (PV)?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
Haven't yet, but I know a few that do....occasionally.  I would expect the longboard crowd to be giving you the heavy stink eye on good days.  Since its such a small area and unique break to the area, I'm choosing to only ride my longboard, unless it was small mushy.  If it got a crown of stand up there, the prone would not have a chance.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
It’d be interesting to see what would happen if one were to try to SUS Lunada Bay on a good day.

Nottakook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Venice Surf Photographers
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
Wow, seriously? Longboarder stink-eye huh? Can't win!

Good spot though. I will have to test it out.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
I SUS'd there last week (paddled around from Torrance Beach on my Fanatic Race).  It was sooo small, there weren't any longboarders out.  It was ankle high, and breaking only at Little Reef.  After a couple waves, 2 girls paddled out, so I left.
I definitely feel that there would be tension with the longboarders on any day it's breaking decently.
Despite it being a longboard break, with a mostly mellow crew, there's still some hard core locals who surf it daily.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
I haven't... yet.

I spend time in Redondo and usually surf (short board) the beach breaks south of Topaz when I'm there.

My wife tells me of a heavy local vibe in the area and especially the bay. I can believe it from the other surfers I've ran into in the local markets/restaurants/bars. On a short board I have not gotten "vibed" but I'm pretty mellow, don't shoulder hop, etc. but when first paddling out there I can usually sense the potential for it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
The Cove (cove park) here in Maui is SUS central. Generally small waves, a sandy beach, and probably the world's largest SUP rental operations makes for some real humor. Ninety percent of the people are holding their paddle backwards and falling constantly. They are so new and there are so many of them that the longboarders don't have to worry about them--they're just like slalom cones, makes riding a little wave more interesting.  The cove and Kalama Park are also where the southside surf instruction is done. It's a madhouse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup4fun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »
Hi,
I used to SUS on the PV Cove pretty much regularly “on the weekends” during spring, summer, and fall since late 2009.
I went out once during a winter swell in 2010 and it was a bit too much for my skill level. So I decided to wait and improve my surfing first, before going out when the PV Cove is Big … and it can really get BIG !

I still go there … and I have seen other SUS out there as well !
And yes … you get a stinky eye once on a while …. Just don’t bother !
That happens almost everywhere right ? So if you going to get to deal with a bunch o stinky eyes, might as well deal with it for a good wave !!  ;)

In general, when it is not so big … and it is the mellower crowd out there … it can be friendly and fun.. many would share a wave, etc...
But off course A$$ holes can always show up from anywhere ! So far, very little trouble.

Any way … I got 2 issues there :
First:  When the PV is breaking NICE, there will be almost 70+ surfers on the main spot ! No fun ….
Second:  I am “goofy” … so I do like waves breaking Left ! The Cove breaks mostly to the Right !
But there is a always a “small” line that goes Left …. And it is not so much surfed ! When the place is NOT crowed and not breaking on the “little reef”, it is a fun ride !

Because I prefers Left … on the 2 past winters, I had been SUSing in RAT with a friend!
Not so much of a long ride … But it is a faster wave, they come more often, and less crowded…so you surf more !
It helped me to improve my surfing a lot on the last year and half ! 

Another fun Left is Haggs !!
For sure Surfing there with a SUP does get you a couple of HUGE stinky eyes !!  :)
But my friend and I had surfed there a couple of times when it was with 2 or 3 surfers the most ! Yeah… they may say some $hit to you  … and you just need to smile and say some $hit back … always with a smile !  ;)

But the best Left waves I surfed there had to be by Indicators !!!
It was late winter/spring last year !!! The thick kelp and the rain were keeping the surfers out ! But there was a small spot … the “boiler” … that would allow my friend and I to take off, and then surf the wave “above” the kelp !
There I surfed the biggest wave of my life so far … an 8 footer ! I know… for some here on the Zone this is just a “baby wave” ! But man … for me it was the wave of the year !!  ;D

Only once surfing a couple of times in Indicators we got any type of confrontation .. but no big deal !
Maybe it only happened once (or twice) because when we were surfing there, the “self proclaimed hard-core locals” were not there … too small for them .. maybe !
But again… let they yell $hit .. look at them … and just keep on surfing !

Another thing that might frustrate the PV Cove and Indicator surfers, was that we paddled all the way from RAT (about 1 to 2 miles each way). So you do not need to deal with them when paddling in and walking back to your car. And your car is also NOT there to be vandalized !!  ;)   

But if you want to BLOW the PV Cove surfers minds … then here it is the most fun deal:
I was only able to do it ONCE … yet ! And it is nice to have a “buddy” out there with you … as you “cannot” see IT coming too easy !!

On the right side of the PV Cove there are 2 major rocks … Shark Fin and Seal Rock. They are pretty much in front of what is called the “Ski-jump” !
Only on BIG days (maybe like this swell that is coming !!), there is a couple of waves that would break on top of the Shark Fin … this wave will “reform” again as it passes over the Seal Rock ! It will create a very Nice Big wave (for my standards !!!! ) … a big peak that will break Right (unfortunately !) and fast !
It will not go for too long … but for sure it is a fun “drop” !

You need your buddy to stay on the side of the Seal Rock …. So he can tell you when the wave is coming !! Then you take turns !!!

Regular prone surfers cannot surf that wave (at least I have not seen anyone trying so far !??). They can only watch you having a wave only to yourself and a few friends, as they walk by the pathway that takes them to the beach, or back to their cars !!
Some will even hoot you when you get the drop ! Well … at least I thought it was a “positive hoot” !  Maybe they were just saying “Die !!”   ;D

Any way … this has been my experience on the PV Cove area since late 2009 ! Maybe more to come this winter !!

C'Ya...

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
Hey SUP4Fun--good to hear about your cove sessions....maybe I'll see you around out there, or at RAT.

I surfed the Cove again this past Sunday. Paddled my Fanatic Race around from BurnOUts.   It was really small again, barely breaking at Little Reef.   Had the whole cove to myself for 20 min, and caught knee high waves there, before a longboarder and his newby girlfriend joined me.
OC1's arrived, and  surfed the south side of the cove, where it wasn't really breaking,but they were catching the swells. 
As the tide dropped, another SUPer on a King's race board joined us.  We chatted and surfed Middles in knee-waist high sets.  Good fun!!

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
My wife and I walked over by there today.  Looked really really nice.  

Full spy mode.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:47:39 PM by Ninth Circuit »
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
wow great pics 9th!
youre telling me theres no left there on a good south swell?-that looks wide open and fun!
Being goofy myself i would consider a ride up there but only if the lefts were really nice.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal